http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=detail&iid=11730

Any word on this one?

$625
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1071

Any other choices in this price range that has
4" dia spindles?

Steve Cox
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I have been very satisfied with the Grizzly. I think the two of them are essentially the same thing with the Jet having more rounded corners than the Grizz. This has been my first piece of Griz equipment and I am fairly impressed with it.

tod evans
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
tom, i use the idler end of my edge sander.....just a thought..02 tod

John Hebert
03-14-2006, 12:15 PM
and very saisfied with it

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 12:49 PM
I've had the Jet for a number of years and it has served well. Only have two complaints but both are easy workarounds.

Plan on dedicating a couple of stout wrenches for the spindle removal and installation processes. The stamped metal wrenches that come with the machine are worthless.

And plan on building some shelves and/or holder thingies around the base for storing the various attachments.

Anthony Anderson
03-14-2006, 2:35 PM
How much are you going to use the sander? Everyday, Once a week, once a month? Bill

Jeff Singleton
03-14-2006, 2:53 PM
Tom, That import spindle sander is made under a bunch of names like General, Jet, Grizzly, Powermatic ?, and a few more. There are not a bad sander for the money. A big step up would be a State B-4 or Max for tilting table type and then the State T-5, Oliver 381, and Master SP2, for tilting spindle type. Just a set of spindles for the Master will set you back more then two grand. Only the Max and two States are still made.

Jeff Singleton
Singleton Woodworking & Pattern Works;)

Steve Cox
03-14-2006, 3:26 PM
Jeff, while I understand the upgrade in machine specs, the Grizzly at least, has a tilting table on it.

Gary Swart
03-14-2006, 3:47 PM
You want to have a machine with a tilt table and one that will take a variety of sanding sleeve diameters. How many sizes depends on what you will be using it for. The Grizzly bench model does not tilt but will accept 3 sizes sleeves. The G9922 tilts but only accepts a 2" sleeve. The Grizzly G0529 tilts and accepts 4 spindle sizes (It's also has a 12" disc sander) The Grizzly G1071 tilts and accepts 10 spindle sizes. Harbor Freight has a bench model that tilts and takes 2 sleeve sizes, and Ryobi has a similar one that accepts 2 or maybe 3 sizes.:)

Tom Araya
03-14-2006, 4:06 PM
Thanks for the info, this is just for hobby time sanding jobs, but I need the bigger unit than table top.

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 4:07 PM
The floor model Jet (that's the one I have) tilts to 45° and came with eight or nine spindles ranging in size from 1/4" to 4". Also has a "reasonably effective" 4" DC port.

Tom Araya
03-14-2006, 4:49 PM
The floor model Jet (that's the one I have) tilts to 45° and came with eight or nine spindles ranging in size from 1/4" to 4". Also has a "reasonably effective" 4" DC port.

I ordered recently taking advantage of the amazon deal.
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=detail&iid=12914

Oddly enough, without thinking much, I find myself buying or being
lured to Jet product. First was the drill press, the combo sander,
now the spindle looks nice. I guess a wall of Jet gear for the garage
is what I'm subconsciously doing :) ... in spite that I spend more
time looking at the Grizzly catalog :o ..

Jim Becker
03-14-2006, 5:05 PM
Also look at the smallest spindle the unit will take...that's one of the downfalls of the bench-top Delta BOSS I own and use. Great machine (cast iron top), but the smallest spindle isn't small enough. If I were buying a floor model, I'd want both the wide spindle range as well as the tilting table feature to make it worthwhile. IMHO, of course. (I think the one in Norm's shop on NYW is a Sunhill...it's been there for many, many years)

Jack Ferrell
03-15-2006, 5:40 AM
Having smaller pockets, I bought the Ryobi OSS500 at the Home Box for $99. Bench top model with 5 spindle sizes, 6 sandpaper sizes in 3 grits and the inserts. Cast iron table that does not tilt. Has dust collection. Works pretty good for me.
http://www.ryobitools.com/index.php/catalog/tool/oss500/

Steven Wilson
03-15-2006, 9:39 AM
I have the Grizzly. After cleaning up some casting garbage the machine works well.

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 2:14 PM
Just got a PM from a fellow who didn't think the Jet tilts all the way to 45°. This pic shows that it does. Note the Mark 1 Mod 0 Stanley Combo Square doing its thing.