PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Had the day off yesterday so thought I would finishing this bowl after drying for a couple of weeks. It is hickory and came out real well I thought. It is some of the wood John Hart sent. Sanded to 800 grit and finished with Mylands Friction polish with 3 coats of lacquer. It is 4" across and 3" high. As far as finishing this bowl from the start it is my best so far. I tried to get it finished enough with tools that I didn't have much to sand out as far as tool marks go. Then paid a lot of attention to sanding. The SWMBO said she would keep it. Any hints of what could be done different would be appreicated. Thanks.

Keith Burns
03-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Bernie, there is not a thing wrong with this bowl. I really appreciate the attention you paid to the sanding and finishing.:) :) Keep it up !

Pat Salter
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Nice Bernie. I've got some hickory that some ice cream eater from maine sent me and I need to spin some. How dry was yours? how hard was it? On the lacquer, did you spray it? rub it? Sorry, but that's what you get for doing such a nice job. People think you know what you're doing......;)

Mark Cothren
03-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Looks good to me... nice work on that Hickory... nice job on the finish!

I have some Hickory from two different trees - one is very soft wood (even after it dried) and the other is hard as a rock (even while it is green).

Thanks for the pictures!

doug webb
03-14-2006, 12:04 PM
The only thing I can see wrong with it is it isn't mine......Very nice work.

Dick Parr
03-14-2006, 1:04 PM
Very nice Bernie, love the finish on it.

John Hart
03-14-2006, 3:04 PM
I've been thinking about this bowl all day Bernie. It reminded me of something and I just couldn't remember what.:confused: Then it hit me! It reminds me of these really cool Salsa bowls that a mexican restaurant in downtown San Antonio had on their tables.

When I was going to radio school back in the late 70's, we would go to that little restaurant for breakfast every day. Fun memory. Thanks!:)

Mike Ramsey
03-14-2006, 4:49 PM
Nice job Bernie! love the way Hickory looks when finished.

Ernie Nyvall
03-14-2006, 5:14 PM
It reminds me of these really cool Salsa bowls...

That's it... that's the form!!!

Bernie, you certainly nailed the sanding, and that I think is what makes the big difference. Good job.

Furthermore, off with John M's head.:D

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2006, 5:37 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the comments. I spent more time on this one and more attention to detail than I had the others. To me it really showed up in the finished product.

The wood was dry. I cut it green and then put it in DNA for 24 hrs. I covered it in 2 layers of newspaper and cut a opening on the top bowl opening. It sat for 3 weeks. It did not warp or move as much as other woods I have tried.

Pat the wood was like a rock. Sometimes the tools would get warm. Don't know if that was me pressing the tool to hard or the wood being so hard. My tool was sharp and didn't have any trouble cutting. The lacquer is Deft spray lacquer. I just buy the cans because it is more convenient and handier for me especially on small jobs.

John H. you are right I remember at a cafe in Oklahoma City that had those little wooden bowls for salsa. Great idea for Christmas gifts. Thanks John.