PDA

View Full Version : Bench vice

Julio Navarro
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
I am curious about bench vices. I am going to build a work bench and I want to install an end vice but I dont know what they are called. I want to use the type of vice that has the double chain driven mechanism.

Roy Wall
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I am curious about bench vices. I am going to build a work bench and I want to install an end vice but I dont know what they are called. I want to use the type of vice that has the double chain driven mechanism.

That would be called a "twin screw vise". Check out Lee Valley website for their array of vises. Lie Nielson sells good quality vises also.

A traditional bench uses a "tail vise" (which houses a row of 3-4 dog holes - more common in old furniture shops.

"the workbench book" by Scott Landis is a good source of info........

Julio Navarro
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks Roy, I am ordering now.

BTW, woodcraft has it fopr over $200 !! Lee Valley is $185

Roy Wall
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks Roy, I am ordering now.

BTW, woodcraft has it fopr over $200 !! Lee Valley is $185

That LV is an excellent vise!! I'm certain you will be pleased - LV has a good customer service reputation. This particular vise is probably the best twin screw on the market - based on it's user feedback.

Sounds like Woodcraft is a little wigged out!:eek:

Dave Anderson NH
03-14-2006, 1:31 PM
Julio, Be very careful with the LV twin screw tail vise. Read carefully their cautions and tips before attempting to install it. Then read and re-read the instructions from front to end. Don't attempt to install it when you're tired or don't have adequate time. While the installation is fairly straightforward, there are lots of things that can go wrong if you try to cut corners and don't take your time to do things accurately. I don't have one myself, but helped a friend do his installation.

Julio Navarro
03-14-2006, 1:37 PM
Don't attempt to install it when you're tired or don't have adequate time.

That just about eliminates my chances of gitting it right:D !!

BTW, Dave, FYI..:o theres an 'o' instead of an 'e' I'm a he.:D

Michael Fross
03-14-2006, 9:15 PM
I, too, am going to be building my "real" workbench. I'm almost through Landis's book and it is excellent. I also just bought the LV twin screw 24" vise and I can't wait to get moving on the project.

What style of bench are you thinking about building?

Michael