PDA

View Full Version : Ham and Cheese

Dave Fifield
03-14-2006, 1:19 AM
Why is it that ham and cheese tastes so much better when it's thinly sliced? (NOT a lead up to a joke....this has always bothered me)

Dave

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-14-2006, 1:50 AM
More surface area to hit the taste buds?

More aromas let go?

Dunno, but I have to say, if this is the kind of thing that "bothers" you, then you sir lead a blessed life :D (not a flame, just an observation)

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 8:31 AM
I dunno, but the same holds true for turkey and swiss.

On a related note: Why is it that whenever I trudge out to the mailbox and discover a new Woodcraft catalog or flyer there invariably is the same item from Rockler?

Kent Parker
03-14-2006, 8:35 AM
Dave,

I'm sure it has to do with the ratio of taste buds to ham/cheese/bread surface contact. :D

Cheers,

Kent

Keith Starosta
03-14-2006, 8:51 AM
I'll tell ya what.......take a thick-sliced piece of any sandwich meat, and I won't eat it. But, take that same dimension of thinly-sliced meat, and I'm all over it!! :rolleyes: :o Weird. I think it might be the texture? Who knows, but show me a sammich full of thinly-sliced roasted turkey breats, deli mustard and swiss cheese.......mmmmmm-mmmmmmmm. So good, make ya wanna slap yo' granny!! :D

- Keith

Jim Hager
03-14-2006, 8:51 AM
Now you have done it. Gone and made me hungry and I just had breakfast. I don't know why but you are right. I like it stacked high and sliced very thin.

Chris Fite
03-14-2006, 9:01 PM
Why do carrots taste sweet if grated? Why are apples sweeter when thinly sliced? Who has these answers?

Tim Morton
03-14-2006, 9:05 PM
I'll tell ya what.......take a thick-sliced piece of any sandwich meat, and I won't eat it. But, take that same dimension of thinly-sliced meat, and I'm all over it!! :rolleyes: :o Weird. I think it might be the texture? Who knows, but show me a sammich full of thinly-sliced roasted turkey breats, deli mustard and swiss cheese.......mmmmmm-mmmmmmmm. So good, make ya wanna slap yo' granny!! :D

- Keith

with the possible exception of maybe a nice meatloaf sammy?:eek:

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 9:54 PM
with the possible exception of maybe a nice meatloaf sammy?:eek:

Cold - with onions and ketchup. Mmmm good.

Jerry Olexa
03-14-2006, 10:35 PM
My wife makes me ham and swiss w onion and hot mustard in the oven . It all melts and blends. Outstanding w a cold beer or iced tea..:)

Randy Meijer
03-15-2006, 4:46 AM
Jerry: Try some horseradish in place of the hot mustard. you might like the different flavor!!

Ned Bulken
03-15-2006, 8:34 AM
Cold - with onions and ketchup. Mmmm good.

Refried! like getting an end cut with every bite!