PDA

View Full Version : Houston area turners

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
There is a woodworking show at the Reliant March 31st. Anyone going?

Ernie

David Duke
03-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Not a turner Ernie but I plan on going, don't know what day yet.

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Not a turner Ernie but I plan on going, don't know what day yet.

I'm not sure what day myself, but wanted to check around to see if anyone from SMC was going. I just happen to know that there are turners on here from Houston area.

Anyway, if a few more respond... or not... we could try to make a time to say howdy.

David Duke
03-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Sounds good to me, it would be nice to meet fellow Creekers.

Cecil Arnold
03-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Ernie, I'll go at least one day, but am not sure which one. They have an on-line ticket (3 days $8) which sounds good but the parking will kill you. I would really like to see what the real Ernie looks like, the avatar or Santa Clause. If you haven't gotten a program yet, there are some turning clinics that are pretty basic, and the GCWA usually has a number of people turning.

Ernie Nyvall
03-14-2006, 6:42 AM
Ernie, I'll go at least one day, but am not sure which one. They have an on-line ticket (3 days $8) which sounds good but the parking will kill you. I would really like to see what the real Ernie looks like, the avatar or Santa Clause. If you haven't gotten a program yet, there are some turning clinics that are pretty basic, and the GCWA usually has a number of people turning.

Yes, I've heard that about the parking. Last time I parked for free because the booth I drove through didn't have change for whatever I gave him.:D I don't think that'll happen again... but hey, if we could all decide on a time and length of stay, we could meet at a big box, Rockler, or some place like that and drive in together... split the cost.

Ernie

Tom Jones III
03-14-2006, 9:22 AM
Does anyone know if it will be significantly different than last year? Based on my visit last year I had decided that it wasn't worth the time or the money.

Ernie Nyvall
03-14-2006, 9:34 AM
Does anyone know if it will be significantly different than last year? Based on my visit last year I had decided that it wasn't worth the time or the money.

Don't know Tom. I've been before, but not last year... and I wasn't turning. If the GCWA will be there turning (I attempt that now), the 8 bucks plus a split parking fee will be worth it to me.

Ernie

David Duke
03-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Ernie, if we could work out an agreeable time frame I could come around 321 into Dayton and we could possibly ride in together, plus I'd get to see your shop and have one of those famous "Creeker" visits.

Cecil Arnold
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
I think the show will be smaller this year. When I talked to Steve at First Monday, he said he was only going to have two spaces this year instead of the four he had last year, that one of the big router bit suppliers (I hesitate to name them since I'm not sure who) had gone out of business, so I got the impression things would be smaller. I based the remark about the GCWA on their presents every year I've been to the show, so I assume (and that's always dangerous) they will be there again. The guy from Craft Supply will be doing a short thing on decorative techniques (turnings) all three days.

The 8 bucks is buying on-line it is 9 at the door. Parking at Rockler seems to be limited. I would think a big box might be better. I'm open to any day.

Ernie Nyvall
03-14-2006, 12:05 PM
That sounds fine to me David, and Cecil, depending on what part of Houston you are in would determine the store where we can meet. So now we just figure the day and time. By the way, there is not a time too early for me. I usually get up earlier on the weekends because I'm free... I freeeee.

Ernie

Cecil Arnold
03-14-2006, 5:27 PM
Ernie, I'm in Clear Lake, if you come up 146 it isn't too bad, but if that is out of the way I can meet you guys anywhere on the SE side of town. The show doesn't start until 10 am Sat. & Sun. (noon Friday)

David Duke
03-14-2006, 9:43 PM
I can probably make it for the Friday show if nothing unexpected shows up at work but Saturday would probably be better for me, plus we wouldn't have to fight the Friday evening traffic going home. Ernie if you think you might want to ride in together I can come in from Cleveland through Dayton, my nephew lives in Crosby and he said he would like to go or we can all just meet somewhere around Reliant as Cecil said, doesn't really matter to me. I don't know where anything is on that side of town but get me an address and I'll find it.

Ernie Nyvall
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I can probably make it for the Friday show if nothing unexpected shows up at work but Saturday would probably be better for me, plus we wouldn't have to fight the Friday evening traffic going home. Ernie if you think you might want to ride in together I can come in from Cleveland through Dayton, my nephew lives in Crosby and he said he would like to go or we can all just meet somewhere around Reliant as Cecil said, doesn't really matter to me. I don't know where anything is on that side of town but get me an address and I'll find it.

David, I just sent you a PM about this.

Ernie