PDA

View Full Version : A Crib For The New Grandkid

Jerry Bittner
03-13-2006, 9:58 PM
Making progress with the construction of a crib that can be converted into a youth bed and a twin bed.

Got the crib portion complete after sweating over 52 slats. But all in all, fairly pleased with the work.

Picture attached.

David Duke
03-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Looking good Jerry, I know every drop of sweat was a lobor of love. I finished the crib for our first granchild a couple months ago, sure will be glad when it gets used (any day now)!!

Dan Oliphant
03-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Nicew looking project so far, is this your design? What is the hardwood that you used?

john whittaker
03-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Jerry, I second Dan's question. I really like the design. Is it yours or are you following a plan?

Also, congrats on the "new grand kid"

Vaughn McMillan
03-14-2006, 5:06 AM
Looking nice, Jerry. I'd probably have to make about 100 slats to get 52 of them to come out the right size. I second (or third) the questions about the type of wood you used.

- Vaughn

Dan Zenger
03-14-2006, 7:06 AM
That's a great Crib. I built the same one for my son who's 2-1/2 now. I made mine out of Maple. This weekend I started working on the conversion parts to make the youth bed/full size bed. My little one is close to being able to escape... I sure was happy when I was finished making the slats... Now I have 17 more to make for the foot board.

-Dan

Jim Becker
03-14-2006, 9:58 AM
Slat's nice, Jerry! :D Seriously, great job.

Jerry Bittner
03-14-2006, 9:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I know we all go through these labors of love.

The wood is maple and I constructed it from a plan.

My daughter-in-law told me that she wanted it painted in white and I almost fell over. Told her I don't paint but fortunately it all worked out after I sent her a picture, she likes it natural -- whew!