PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye NE Vase

John Hart
03-13-2006, 9:12 PM
Well...this was indeed the project from the depths of the abyss. This Vase started out by breaking my finger, then proceeded to have tearout in every imaginable place, then I got it too thin so I couldn't risk turning it anymore, so it's bumpy on the inside. I've had enough of this beast...but I'm posting it to show the bad with the good. It was definitely an education. It has nice colors though!!:)

9" Tall and 7" diameter at the widest. Finished with behlens and I tried to buff it but it just tore up the wheel.:o

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 9:32 PM
Oh man John. That is really nice. Like you say, the colors are nice. Impressive getting it so thin with the bark in tact. I like the form and all.

Ernie

David Fried
03-13-2006, 9:32 PM
Looks nice - looks scary!!! (I can't imagine sticking my hand in it when it was spinning!)
It does have really nice color and contrast.
Is what looks like a missing chunk on the top where it bit you??:eek:

Dave Fried

Andy Hoyt
03-13-2006, 9:51 PM
Coolest looking bonker I've seen all day.

And this one has a history, which adds value.

Gary Max
03-13-2006, 9:55 PM
Some days turning can be to much fun.
Hope the finger heals fast-----I tossed a vase in the wood burner this weekend myself.
The only people that don't have disappointments---just talk about turning.

Corey Hallagan
03-13-2006, 10:41 PM
That's a cool one Mr. Hart, great looking! Love the shape with that NE.

corey

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Pretty and cool John. Hope the finger heals fast.

Michael Stafford
03-14-2006, 6:01 AM
Excellent, John! I am sorry to hear about your finger. Hope it heals quickly. Now don't go putting your fingers where they don't belong!

Travis Stinson
03-14-2006, 6:50 AM
Very nice John. You're supposed to beat the wood into submission, not the other way around.;) Hope your finger heals quickly.

Glenn Hodges
03-14-2006, 8:09 AM
I don't care if it is bumpy on the inside, I like it.

John Hart
03-14-2006, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the kind replies everyone. Mamma says that I oughta put it up on a shelf and come back to it in a few months and finish it off proper, so I reckon it's worth salvaging. I have to admit, it does look nice from far away! :D

doug webb
03-14-2006, 8:38 AM
That would be another one that I would keep around my shop to look at. That is one consolation, you have a reason not to part with it. Personaly, I like it.....Shape, COLOR, edge and all. Great.....doug

Rich Stewart
03-14-2006, 8:45 AM
I was wondering about that piece. I saw it in the background of one of your other posts. I was gonna ask you about it but forgot. Looks like a VERY educational piece. Just doing that little thing I did recently really made me pay attention to my knuckles. I can't imagine sticking my hand in that thing. Nice job John.

Ok, I found it. It was in Rachel's bonker photos.

Raymond Overman
03-14-2006, 9:10 AM
Very nice looking vase John.

You may want to try a cabinet scraper (curved) for the inside of the vase if you feel it's too thin to turn. You might be able to get some of the bumps out if you're so inclined. I use one to get the tool marks out of the areas where you transition from cutting air to cutting wood when you turn a natural edge.

Keith Burns
03-14-2006, 9:23 AM
Lookin' good John !:) Do not, I repeat do not let it whoop ya:D :D We must overcome.

John Hart
03-14-2006, 9:23 AM
Very nice looking vase John.

You may want to try a cabinet scraper (curved) for the inside of the vase if you feel it's too thin to turn. You might be able to get some of the bumps out if you're so inclined. I use one to get the tool marks out of the areas where you transition from cutting air to cutting wood when you turn a natural edge.

Raymond, I was wondering about that. My fear was the possibility of the tool inadvertantly being taken from my hand, then flying around inside before I could withdraw. Is this a possibility or am I thinking wrong?

John Miliunas
03-14-2006, 9:41 AM
As was suggested, let it sit for a bit and go back to it! That's a great looking piece "as is" but, if you were able to really finish it off, it'd be a show stopper!!! :) Nice job, John!!!:) :cool:

Mark Cothren
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Looks good, John! I like that form. Sorry it beat you up... gotta watch out for them digits!

Raymond Overman
03-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Raymond, I was wondering about that. My fear was the possibility of the tool inadvertantly being taken from my hand, then flying around inside before I could withdraw. Is this a possibility or am I thinking wrong?

Very wrong in the assumption that I meant do it while it was on the lathe or while the lathe is on. I don't want you to get hurt.

If you're only talking about a little bit of material, a properly sharpened cabinet scraper will remove it quickly while the lathe is OFF. If you're talking about a lot of material, you may want to start with an oval file or rasp then use the cabinet scraper for the finish work.

Nobody says that a turned piece can't be touched by other tools. If you're not comfortable turning it using a gouge or scraper, these are some alternatives to finish it out.

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Good looking NE John, Don't let it woop ya. I've got a tiger maple bowl thats been gave me fits hollowing the inside that I set aside a few months ago but I'm getting ready to go back after it. I think you should do the same.

Dick Parr
03-14-2006, 1:03 PM
Very nice John, I had heard that the buckeye was hard to sand. For now that is what is keeping me from starting the one you sent me.

Even though you are sore, this one looks good. Hope the finger heals soon.

Dick Strauss
03-14-2006, 1:16 PM
John,
that is pretty nice looking! Did you use your deep hollowing rig for the inside or were you hanging on the tool rest? I hope it didn't get the same finger as last time!!! Oh well you got at least 8 more where those came from...

Raymond's idea about a cabinet scraper may be right on the money. I saw a demo by Cliff Lounsbury where he used a cab scraper on the outside of the form. He used it with the lathe running slowly. He likened it to having sanded to about 220 grit all in one step. After touching the piece he scraped, I was pretty impressed.

This month I saw Greg Jensen demo'ing. He was very insistent about sharpening lightly and often. He mentioned that he sharpens every time he thinks he is taking the final cut. His thought was that if your tools are sharp, you shouldn't have to push hard to make the tools cut very cleanly. He also preached aboout "floating" on the bevel rather than rubbing it.

Greg lives near you John. He is in Parma and is interested in a trip to the log dump. He is a rep for P&N, VB, and Kelton. Needless to say, he is extremely knowledgeable and is an all around good guy. Let me know if you want some contact info and I'll PM you.

Dick

John Hart
03-14-2006, 1:55 PM
Thanks again everyone! I probably will shelve it for a while and work on it agin'.:)

Raymond - Thanks for the clarification. It's not gnarly bumpy in there....just kinda-sorta bumpy....like bumpettes.:) the cab scraper just might do the trick.

Dick S. - I don't own a deep hollowing rig....so it was just me and Bertha for the initial hollowing, then I switched to the Hollowmaster. (I'm getting better with that thing). As far as the finger goes....This is the same incident from the day before you came to visit. The finger got worse and I had to get it checked out. Shattered the bone at the tip. Didn't help to get it checked out though...no cast or anything needed...just told to take it easy. (So I take it easy while I'm hollowing NE turnings:D )

Sure...I'd be interested in dragging Mr. Jensen out to the wood dump. I don't know who he is though. I'm not very knowledgeable about such things. I'll have to do some research so I don't seem too much like an idiot!:o

Dick Strauss
03-14-2006, 2:17 PM
John,
I don't think Greg is a famous turner. I could be wrong...what do I know? I'll PM you with his email address.

Try to tape a splint around your finger to keep from banging it while it heals.

Take care buddy,
Dick

Mike Ramsey
03-14-2006, 4:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your boo-boo John! But from looking all the
way from TX that's a good looking NE..Hope the finger heals soon..

Jim Ketron
03-14-2006, 5:07 PM
Looks nice to me John!
That would be a good place to use a captive hollowing rig. Keep them fingers out of harms way.