PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Dril Bits?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-21-2003, 1:35 PM
Anyone ever use tapered drill bits? They're supposed to be better for drilling pilot holes in hard woods.

Dick Shryock
02-21-2003, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by Dennis McDonaugh
Anyone ever use tapered drill bits? They're supposed to be better for drilling pilot holes in hard woods.

Howard,

There is an excellent article in the new FWW about screws. The author states that the tapered drill bits are only necessary when using the old style wood screws. I have gone over to the new style, more exactly the ones from McFeely. The square drives are superior and they take a standard drill for the pilot hole.

Check out the article...

Mike Circo
02-21-2003, 2:26 PM
I am amazed at how many problems good screws solve. I got a big batch of square drive screws from McFeelys and just love them.

No more snapping off heads. No more slippage. Very forgiving with pilot hole depth (stronger screws with better threads don't need perfectly fitted pilot holes). They resess better, grip stronger, and generally work better in all circumstances.

I don't know if the special tapered bits make a difference with "old fashoned" screws, but I do know you don't need them with quality screws.

Bruce Page
02-21-2003, 4:02 PM

Dennis, I used to use them but found setting the depth to be a hassle. Now, I just pre-drill with streight bits and use good quality screws.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-21-2003, 5:02 PM
I'll look at ordering screws from McFeelys instead.

Doug Keener
02-22-2003, 8:31 AM
Yes! I use them a lot. I have a set with an adjustable position counter sink and they work slick. Wouldn't be without them.
Doug Keener

Ken Salisbury
02-22-2003, 8:38 AM
Anyone ever use tapered drill bits? They're supposed to be better for drilling pilot holes in hard woods. In my humble opinion it is just something else to waste your money on. Higher quality screws and use of standard drill bits for pilot holes is a much smarter use of you hard earned dollars.

John Longwitz
02-22-2003, 5:10 PM
...and use them a lot. The smaller sizes countersink and bore a 3/8" recess and the larger ones recess 1/2". Ideal for fitting plugs over them. I find the taper point particularly useful when I want to drill an angled hole with a hand drill as it doesn't wander. Got them originally to restore a cedar boat. If you decide to not go the taper route at least get a quality drill/countersink combo. I wasted money on a set with only single set screw on the countersink. They slip a lot and the bit also gets jammed in the countersink from sawdust. The Fuller's have 2 set screws for the countersink and also for the stop collar and they hold. The countersink cutters are also better on the Fuller brand.