PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #8 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-13-2006, 8:59 PM
I left off yesterday (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32844) with some shots of the eave I was messing around with. That's now all done. So let's procratinate about windows for one more thread.
The only significant improvement in this shot is that the door has been installed. It may look like an odd location for a door in a church, but remember that the new real church is actually an historical interpretive center. The floor plan indicates that this is actually a service entrance.
And here's a new shot of the eave all done. I left a small corner of it open to demonstrate that there really is stuff happening within the building system of the model. Note too that I installed the shakes on the roof and the associated soffit and fascia. And I got some of the siding installed. Couldn't go all the way across or up because, well, those dang windows aint built yet. That means I can't cut the rough opening and that means that I can't install the wall system over there. In turn that means I can't install the trim ...... Classic chicken and egg dilemma.
Just another shot of the "open side" of the model.

Tomorrow is it. Time to build the windows.

Curt Fuller
03-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Andy this is all a fascinating process. But somewhere I missed out on exactly what the purpose or motive is behind this. Is this a gift or a hobby or is this something you're commissioned to do? Whatever it is I'm amazed at the meticulous detail that you put into this.

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Well Andy that is truely amazing. I've seen mini houses, but none that would hold up for long. This thing looks like a regular building only made better.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
03-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks, guys. This is no hobby and is the actual day job. It is indeed a real building, just smaller. Here's a cut and paste from my website which should help a bit. Also read the previous threads I've posted with the same basic title. They contain tidbits scattrered throughout which should also serve to fill in some blanks. The first link below has a number of photos of the real church during construction.

<table nof="LY" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="746"> <tbody><tr align="left" valign="top"><td>
</td> <td class="TextObject" width="716"> Our newest project represents a number of firsts for us. It’s our first international sale; our first church; and the first that will go on semi-permanent display in a public space.

Our customer is Miramichi Timber Frames, Inc. (http://www.miramichitimberframe.com/) owned and managed by Troy Donohue and Carla Crawford in Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada. Back in the fall of 2004 they cut and raised the frame for the Wilson’s Point Historic Church Interpretive Centre in Derby, New Brunswick. It’s my understanding that the design is a faithful reproduction of the original structure built in 1790 which stood nearby. Here’s a link to a story about the entire restoration of Wilson’s Point (http://www.mightymiramichi.com/breadnmolasses/id103.html).

The model will eventually make it’s way to New Brunswick, but first it will travel to the South Canal International Business Center in Lawrence, Massachusetts where it will be on display for the N.B. Wood Products Group and Artizan Design Centre.
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Karl Laustrup
03-14-2006, 6:45 AM
Andy, the church is coming together very nicely. Windows huh!! They really had windows? You sure it wasn't a skylight?

I forgot to ask if you had a "topping off" celebration once the steeple was raised?

Karl

tod evans
03-14-2006, 8:08 AM
geeze andy! making full sized radiused windows like in your door is a bugger, miniture must be a bear! nice job! .02 tod

Bryan Somers
03-14-2006, 12:57 PM
I'll second what the others have said, really nice work. The detail is impressive

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 7:25 PM
Karl - We may have a topping off ceremony yet. It stands just over 49 inches tall, and the customer is now RE-measuring the minivan rear door height. I might have to saw off the steeple for transport. Horrors!

Tod - The door was easy, just flexed my credit card muscle during an on-line spending session. The windows are a whole 'nuther story.

Bryan - Thanks.

No new post tonight as I'm too fried to think straight. Besides, my fingers have about 4 ounces of CA glue all over them and I can't feel a thing.