PDA

View Full Version : New member intro

Stephen Fixx
03-13-2006, 7:53 PM
Hey all, I'm new to these parts and thought that I would introduce myself :) These message boards are very active and attract a fun crowd so I thought might hang around for a bit.

I'm mostly a hobbyist but I do a fair bit of woodworking for my job too. I install exhibits at an art museum. The woodworking is mostly cabinetmaking, making frames and crates. My expertise is really in the framing and art handling aspect of the job, but I also do all the graphics for museum too.

I have a heated shop in our 1 car garage. It's tight but well equipped and functional as long as I(or my sons) keep it clean. My current binge is Windsor chairmaking with hand tools and I've recently started turning so that I could make my own legs and stretchers. Last spring I took 2 classes at Dunbar's Windsor Institute and in the fall took "Turning for Furniturmakers" at the Conover Workshops. I feel both schools gave me all I needed to get a really good start. I have some links to my woodworking below. The Yahoo link is a general portfolio that I've used for job applications...it shows the crazy range of my interests. My blog is just where I've thrown some recent pics for relatives to see my new interest.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stephenfixx/my_photos

http://windsorchairmaker.blogspot.com/

If anybody is in my area I'd love to hear from you. Especially if you know of the Wellington,OH woodworkers club. It's pretty solitary out here in the sticks. I am in Oberlin about 30 minutes west of Cleveland.

God Bless,

Steve

Brad Schafer
03-13-2006, 7:57 PM
steve- am not really close (near Lima) but know Oberlin from college sports days and have made trips thru there for business. those Windsor chairs look really nice. good to see another buckeye on the board,

b

Dick Parr
03-13-2006, 8:01 PM
Welcome to the Creek Steve, from a former Buckeye. You will find there are a number of Buckeyes up the Creek.:D ;)

Steve Clardy
03-13-2006, 8:35 PM
Welcome Stephen!!

Andy Hoyt
03-13-2006, 8:42 PM
Welcome, Stephen! Make sure you pop over to the turning forum. We don't see much centerwork these days - and especially chairs - and your participation will be most welcome.

Cecil Arnold
03-13-2006, 9:11 PM
Welcome to the creek Steve, nice bunch of folks here.

john whittaker
03-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Welcome Stephen. I checked out your portfolio. You do some very nice work.

As Andy suggested, be sure to pop over to the turners forum. You will find a guy there from Cleveland named John. But watch out because he has the uncanny ability to talk people into doing the darnedest things. He'll have you making mini hollow Windsor thingys....

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the Creek Stephen. You have an impressive portfolio. Nice work.

Ernie

Jerry Olexa
03-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Welcome Steve. I lived in the Columbus area for several years while with Borden. There's a great hardware place up your way (Hartville) where I purchased several tools. Like your Windsor chairs. Nice portfolio. Glad you're here

John Bailey
03-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Welcome to the Creek Stephen! Warning!! Warning!! Think twice before entering the Turner's Forum.

John

Stephen Fixx
03-14-2006, 9:57 PM
Thanks for the kind welcome guys! It was gratifying to get some positive feedback about my work from my peers. Like I said, it's mostly a solitary hobby for me which is probably why I'm here ...up a Creek :)

Steve

tod evans
03-15-2006, 7:27 AM
welcome stephen!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-15-2006, 8:56 AM
Welcome Steve, love your sig line :D

Cheers!

Mark Singer
03-15-2006, 9:00 AM
Welcome , very nice work....
we like new members....sometimes even more than old members....the old members are getting a bit old if you know what I mean:confused:

John Miliunas
03-15-2006, 9:00 AM
Great to have you at the Creek, Stephen and we're hopeful your stay will be longer than "a bit"!!! :D OK, so I'm being selfish, as it seems to me that, you have much to offer in the way of WW expertise! :D Come often, stay long. :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-15-2006, 9:08 AM
Welcome Stephen,
Always glad to see a new WW in the creek with pictures.