PDA

View Full Version : Heard Some Chainsaws Again Today

Dick Parr
03-13-2006, 7:47 PM
Well I couldn't take it two days in a row. Yesterday I heard a lot of chainsaws going but was to tired to go looking for them.:( But then I heard the going again today and it got the best of me.:D Just what I needed, more wood.:eek:

Yesterday the cut down the big maple and it is over 24" in diameter and the honey locus is what they were cutting down today. Man that tree was big, all four of the trunks. The owner said I could have all I wanted as he was only going to cut it up for the fireplace. It only cost me having to make him one large bowl out of it. With a little offer of a beer after they were done for the day, I got those guys to load up the back of the pickup. They must have been tired because they didn't stop for it.:confused: I had to go slow home because the springs were bottomed out in the S-10.

There sure is a bunch of curl in the maple. At first I thought they were cutting up a large Osage Orange because the color was bright like Osage, but they said it was honey locus.

Has anyone turned honey locus and is it worth getting anymore of it? Again I can have all I want.

Don Baer
03-13-2006, 7:51 PM
Great wood gloat and is that a stealth gloat in the last picture..:rolleyes:

In terms of getting more, what the heck it free wood and if the honey locust isn't to your tastes for turning you can always use it for firewood.

Gary Max
03-13-2006, 7:52 PM
Dick the Locust has real nice grain----I would turn it green.
I know what you mean about having enough wood ---it's getting out of hand over here also--- but I just can not say NO.

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 8:52 PM
Bill Grumbine had a honey locust piece at Alan's open house the other day, I believe...definitely worth turning, especially green! When it's "not green"...it will be hard as a rock. (Many of the fence posts on the property that I grew up on were made of honey locust heartwood...they outlasted the fields...)

Travis Stinson
03-13-2006, 9:19 PM
Great score Dick!:D

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 9:20 PM
Congrats on the wood Dick. honey Locust was some of the first wood I turned. Green wood went smooth. Dry, it was very hard and sands down to a shine. I had wood from a crotch and it moved nearly 3/4" for an 11" bowl. I don't know how the straight part of the tree would react.

Jim Ketron
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Nice haul Dick!
Looks Like your gona be busy again!

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Nice gloat Dick. You are going to be busy for a while.

Dick Strauss
03-14-2006, 2:09 PM
Dick,
Honey Locust was the first wood I turned. It is very hard even when soaking wet. It is much harder than say maple to turn green. I think that you will love the piece once you get it finished. The grain varies from reddish brown for winter growth and yellow for summer. Some of the wood even has purples streaks that look way cool. Try a piece of crotch now and see if you like the way it turns.

If I had a digi-cam I'd show you my first one that came out pretty nice. I like HL but it is hard work. Ask John H if he has turned the piece that I left with him to get another opinion.

Good luck,
The Other Dick

Raymond Overman
03-14-2006, 5:52 PM
Why, Yes Dick, I would love some honey locust. A piece of curly maple, sure. Thank you very much! :cool:

In all seriousness Dick, I've seen some very nice pieces turned from honey locust and of course curly maple is always fun. Great gloat.

Glenn Hodges
03-14-2006, 6:15 PM
You lucked up getting that honey locust. It is one of my favorite woods to make natural edge bowls with. There is a nice clear seperation between the white sapwood and the dark heart which I really like when doing natruatl edge. Honey locust is known for being hard, but works so nice when green. Hope this helps. Look at the pictures on this link, Dick.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29151