PDA

View Full Version : sign letters/ carving machine

richard poitras
03-13-2006, 7:37 PM
Not sure if this is the wright place to post but I will try. I just bought a Mill Rought for next to nothing ( It is like a Terrco or a Gemini sign carving machine) I need some letter's to use as templates , what are the best to use for this machine that are good and at a fare price , I did work with the machine some this week end, it came with some wood letters that the old owner used but they semed to have some flex in them and not in the best of shape. I did see some on the internet (wood ) but thought I would run in to the same problem flex any Ideas. and are there any templates of any other shapes that I can use on this machine ? It is low tec by todays machines but at $400.00( machine, router , bits, 4' x 8' work table, 35 signs, wood blanks and delivery I could not turn it down) any kind of insite would help. never used one before and there are no directions.

Keith Outten
03-13-2006, 8:57 PM
Richard,

I am not familiar with your particular machine but I expect that there are any number of ways to acquire templates. Besides the manufacturer as a source you could ask any of our Members who own CNC machines to make them for you, especially custom templates that may not be available from traditional vendors.

You might consider acrylic templates rather than wood.

Joe Pelonio
03-14-2006, 8:24 AM
Sounds like a router with tracing stylus, like the old county fair routed sign makers used. What thickness do you need for templates? Either a CNC as Keith says or Laser owner near you could make them. Probably would be least expensive if you provide the material and they just cut for you. There are also a limited variety of wood letters available at the big box home improvement stores.