PDA

View Full Version : Uses for dual motion 1/2 sheet pad sander

Don Morris
03-13-2006, 3:00 PM
I was moving stuff around my shop and realized I haven't opened the Sears dual motion 1/2 sheet pad sander since I bought my Random Orbital Sander years ago. Is the only reason I'm holding on to it that it's shaped to get into corners a little better than a ROS? I really haven't found that to be a problem. Are there other uses for a pad sander, am I missing something? My shop is small and shelf space is at a premium. I've already got too much stuff on the floor. If I could get rid of something that my ROS doubles for well, I'll put it in the next garage sale. Opinions and input please.

Don M

Steve Clardy
03-13-2006, 4:15 PM
Throwed mine out years ago. Got tired of those little squigley marks in my wood.

Howard Acheson
03-13-2006, 4:24 PM
An orbital sander is the machine of choice for sanding flat surfaces. I use the ROS or belt sander for rapid stock removal but once a surface is flat, the orbital is best for final flattening and keeping that way. For any sanding of 150 grit and above that's what I use.

Jamie Buxton
03-13-2006, 8:47 PM
A 6" ROS is my primary sander, but I do keep a 1/4-sheet orbital around. It gets into interior corners better than the ROS. It also has a softer pad than the ROS, so it works better to clean up after a round-over bit eases corners.

Russell Barnes
11-25-2015, 9:29 AM
I just ran across this old thread.
I like these sanders so much that I rebuild them and even are having parts made for them since most parts are obsolete. Just had the obsolete motor brushes made, since there is no source that sells them. If anyone has any of these sanders (with the on/off button on the top of the handle) that they are not using. I would be interested in them. The ones I am interested in are the 1/3rd sheet Model number 315.116132, but I will also buy the 1/2 sheet model numbers. 315.116162, 315.116163, 315.116164.

Kevin McCluney
11-25-2015, 8:03 PM
I've got a Sears Craftsman 1/2 sheet sander (it's a 316.11690; orbital & straight line motion, still in the original - though silverfish-eaten - box) I bought in 1984 and used quite a bit until I got a ROS. It's practically never used though it still runs - the bearings sound like they have sand in them, but it's been that way for the past 20 years. :D