PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone dust collector recommendations ?

Tom Araya
03-13-2006, 1:47 PM
I'm upgrading the garage with more woodworking gear
and I want to install a real dust collection system. I don't have alot of big equipment.

Tools: 10" table saw, drill press, compound miter
saw, combo 9" disc/belt sander, spindle sander and I will probably add a band saw and small jointer. I also
do alot of hand handing with electric sanders and will probably have a small vacuum work table. Only one
machine at a time will be used.

I've been reading info on dust collection for the past
week, but I'm looking for some opinion based on my
woodworking practices.

Woodworking is a part time hobby in the garage. I usually open the large garage door to vent
out dust using 18" fans when using a sander, router or
table saw, etc. I have an allergic reaction to dust if exposed
to it for about an hour, so my woodworking is done in
moderation. I'd like to optimize the dust removal so
I can do more work over a longer period of time.

Because real estate in the garage is limited, I was wondering if the smaller diameter cyclone like the new
Penn State Tempest 'S' series would work well in my
application ? They claim better performance over the
'Red ones'...

TEMP1425S
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tempest-s-series.html

I'm attracted to the smaller size so I can ceiling
mount the filter, but if the unit doesn't perform well
I have no choice but to get a bigger system.

Another idea
Other cyclones have big filters that may not be ceiling mount friendly and
since woodworking is a part time hobby, what do you think about the idea of just removing that large filter
{ie, Oneida Dust Gorilla} and cutting a hole in the garage wall to vent the output of the
cyclone outside, perhaps like a dryer vent ?

Tom Andersen
03-13-2006, 1:57 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the creek! Regarding your last question, it all depends on where you live and what the climate is. When it's really cold outside you don't want to bring in cold air to replace the air that you expell.

Regards
Tom

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 2:34 PM
If you're not going to build your own cyclone, I'm an Oneida fan. Regardless, please heed Tom's advise about blowing outside if HVAC is involved in your shop.

Kyle Kraft
03-13-2006, 3:12 PM
Welcome to the creek!

I have one of "the Red ones" and am delighted with it. Ran me about $550 out the door, or should I say in the door back in '02. If you don't do woodworking for a living, or have several friends working simutaneously, it might be worth looking into.

Kyle

Tom Araya
03-13-2006, 4:07 PM
I live in California, when it's cold here it's probably summer for others :)

There is no HVAC in the garage, normally we open the doors all the time.

tod evans
03-13-2006, 4:11 PM
welcome thy! we use our real names here:) .02 tod

Tom Araya
03-13-2006, 5:02 PM
I'm trying to layout the garage so all the bigger tools
{except table saw} will be installed against the wall
in the same line as the DC to keep plumbing simple,
ie run one pipe from DC exit all the way across that wall
to simplify.

The yellow Dust Gorilla does look interesting and if I
vent outside, it fits nice in the garage. Same price
as PSI product.

It says it's got a 7" exit so do use a single 7" pipe all
the way across this wall O'tools and just
get the tees for each tool with smaller diameter flex hose? ie, my sanders
have 4" holes so do you use 4" hose to the main pipe or is it better to use bigger
hose from the tool to main pipe and get a 4" adapter right at the tool ?

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 5:31 PM
No "tees" Tom....lateral wyes are used to branch off at about 45 degrees. You generally come off the cyclone with 7" until the first major branch and then drop to 6" for the rest of the main. Using 6x6x6 wyes preserves your ability to size the drop for the tools over time as you move things around. Use a long format reducer to drop to the ideal size for a particular tool's DC requirements.

Tom Araya
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I think I'm going to snag the Dust Gorilla but now
that I look at it, it might fit outside on the side of the house.
The old lady seems to think there is too much drama having that thing outside as
I need to cut a big hole in the side of the house, any pointers on how to make
the installation clean looking if I did choose that method?

Problem
The orientation of the Gorilla would not have the
piping hugging the wall, any tips? Do you think
they make a 'left hand, right hand' version?

An outside install frees up more space in the garage for
more tools if I can make this work. :)

tod evans
03-14-2006, 12:08 PM
tom, you might want to check out clearvue cyclones, i believe they have both left and right units? and if you purchase from them they support bill pentz site..02 tod

walter stellwagen
03-14-2006, 12:36 PM
By the way,if I were you I would visit bills site www.billpenz.com since you have a reaction to dust. His site is packed with good advice and has extensive information
regarding health effects of dust. As someone who is on a respirator and nebuliser
i really appreciated his information .
walt

walter stellwagen
03-14-2006, 12:39 PM
By the way,if I were you I would visit bills site www.billpentz.com since you have a reaction to dust. His site is packed with good advice and has extensive information
regarding health effects of dust. As someone who is on a respirator and nebuliser
i really appreciated his information .
walt
sorry for the bad url
www.billpentz.com

walt

Tom Araya
03-14-2006, 1:11 PM
I've looked at Clear Vue, it's one of the first ones I saw.

Concerns

1. [Clear Vue] MDF housing - If outside install, MDF + rain don't mix well, I'd have to cover the unit.

2. Durability - [Clear Vue] plastic vs. galvanized sheet metal w/powder coat [Gorilla], what if I goof and drop
the plastic unit, crack? /lol/

3. Size - I like the smaller diameter design [Clear Vue]
as it does save some space.

4. Eye sore - The big yellow Gorilla grabs too much
attention, I'd probably have to hide it behind a curtain :o

:unsure yet:

Jim Becker
03-14-2006, 5:33 PM
Even the Gorilla will need a cover over the top to keep rain off! Lou Sansone has his Oneida mounted on the outside of his building (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17721&highlight=cyclone).

Thomas Walker
03-15-2006, 8:07 PM
FWIW, several posters have recently mentioned that Oneida is dealing with a lot of demand right now. It's good for them, but some customers have had to deal with significant delays and some QC problems.

Jamie Buxton
03-15-2006, 8:44 PM
If you're going to put the cyclone inside the garage, you might want to look carefully at the footprint of each candidate. For instance, the Woodsucker has a footprint of 40"x20", while the Grizzly 2 hp has a footprint of 59"x38" -- about three times as big. Of course, if you put it outside, footprint doesn't matter as much.