PDA

View Full Version : Did some sharpening....

Corey Hallagan
03-13-2006, 1:01 PM
Well some of you may remember my first venture into sharpening I basically made my pen sized gouge into a yard dart and another 3/8 inch full size as well.
I have been sharpening my big roughing gouge just fine. Well I ordered a PSI 4 piece spindle gounge set a while back. Hadn't done anything with them yet. Today I got up the nerve and I sharpened all 4 of the gouges, a 3/4, 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 no problem at all. couple quick rolls and they were good and sharp. I realized you have to really nail the bevel and if you got the bevel on, just a couple rolls and you are done. Feeling pretty full of myself now, I even fixed one of the 3/8 one I thought I runined. Just reground it. I'm happy!

Corey

Keith Burns
03-13-2006, 1:09 PM
Thats a good thing Corey. One thing I learned awhile back (if you already know it just ignore me) is to color the bevel with a black sharpie the set it in the jig. Now turn the wheel with your hand. It will show you if you are right on the bevel or not. Hope this makes sense.

Corey Hallagan
03-13-2006, 1:38 PM
I did know the black marker trick as it shown on the oneway video, however, I quit doing that cause with the grinder on or slowing down it would make to much of a ding in the grind if it wasn't spot on. Good idea just runing it by hand a bit. Thank you!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2006, 2:13 PM
Sounding good Corey. You'll be able to make the chips fly now. Great work.