PDA

View Full Version : Question about BLO safety/storage

James Carmichael
03-13-2006, 11:57 AM
When applying multiple coats of a BLO/Mineral Spirits mix, is it safe to store the rag in a sealed container with the finish between coats? It's tedious to dry the rags or get out a new one after each application.

Thanks!

Tom Pritchard
03-13-2006, 12:08 PM
When applying multiple coats of a BLO/Mineral Spirits mix, is it safe to store the rag in a sealed container with the finish between coats? It's tedious to dry the rags or get out a new one after each application.

Thanks!

No James, storing the rag in a sealed container could lead to spontaneous combustion and possibly a fire. I don't know the chemistry behind the reaction, but BLO on a rag that is folded or wadded up in a ball begins to build up heat to a point where it will start smoldering and then burning.

I keep a bag full of clean rags available and when I finish with BLO, I hang the rag I used perfectly flat to dry and get a new one the next time. When they're dry, I toss them out in a metal trashcan outside. A fire in my basement is not worth the hassle of handling these rags carefully. I'm sure Jim Becker will be able to give you a more technical explanation. Thanks for checking!