PDA

View Full Version : Panel glue-up problem

Tom Fortier
03-13-2006, 9:10 AM
I glued up two panels this weekend using biscuits. When I clamped them up, I didn't use cauls, but apparently I should have because the biscuits did not keep my individual boards aligned very well. Perhaps I did a bad job cutting the slots for the biscuits. Regardless of why, I currently have two panels that I am not happy with.

My question is am I better off to cut them down on my table saw and try again, or dig out the belt sander? I also thought about building a jig and using my router but am not sure I want to pursue that at this point.

Suggestions??

tod evans
03-13-2006, 9:17 AM
tom, my suggestion is to put the buscuits back in the fridge and not to use them when gluing up panels:) if you`re unable to keep boards aligned when clamping try a glue joint cutter, they`re available for either the router or shaper. personally i don`t see the need for the cutter but lots of folks do like them.....02 tod

Mike Cutler
03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I glued up two panels this weekend using biscuits. When I clamped them up, I didn't use cauls, but apparently I should have because the biscuits did not keep my individual boards aligned very well. Perhaps I did a bad job cutting the slots for the biscuits. Regardless of why, I currently have two panels that I am not happy with.

My question is am I better off to cut them down on my table saw and try again, or dig out the belt sander? I also thought about building a jig and using my router but am not sure I want to pursue that at this point.

Suggestions??

Get an older blade, and cut down the glue lines on a tablesaw, or bandsaw, re-joint them and start again.
It's a lot of extra work but you'll be happier in the end.

BTDT:(

Howard Acheson
03-13-2006, 11:13 AM
>> Get an older blade,

Why an older blade? Just use you regulare rip blade or whatever blade you would have used in the first place. Cutting through a biscuit will not damage or dull the blade in any way. Nor will cutting through the adhesive.

In any event, I would just re-rip the panel and then glue it up again. It's one reason you always glue up panels oversized.

Mike Cutler
03-13-2006, 11:57 AM
>> Get an older blade,

Why an older blade? Just use you regulare rip blade or whatever blade you would have used in the first place. Cutting through a biscuit will not damage or dull the blade in any way. Nor will cutting through the adhesive.

In any event, I would just re-rip the panel and then glue it up again. It's one reason you always glue up panels oversized.

Howard. Glue can be hell on blades in my experience, not always, but some types. Gorilla glue, after it sets is as hard as a rock. I've re-ripped PVA glue lines before and had to clean off the blade and get all of the glue out of the teeth. It left this hard "plastic like" residue on the blade.
I've also seen glue trash router bits. It's just a precaution I take. Not an etched in stone requirement.

Don Baer
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Regardless of why, I currently have two panels that I am not happy with.
Suggestions??

It realy depends on how bad they are. If the glue lines are tight and but the panels are just a little uneven I'd just take a belt sander to em to even em out. Since you joining the first time resulted in uneven panel whats to say it won't happen again. If the glue lines are open then definitly rip em apart and rejoin. I don't use biscuts for joining since if the biscuit cuts are not perfect they will force the panels out of allignment.

Barry O'Mahony
03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
There's too much "slop" in the way biscuits fit in the slots for them to be effective in aligning panels. I'm a little surprised someone hasn't come out with "alignment biscuits", not made out of absorbant material and not intended to be glued, that are precisely dimensioned in thickness to fit well in the slot.

Cauls work very well. however.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-13-2006, 12:30 PM
I agree with Barry. Although it seems that biscuits should align the boards nicely, in actuality, they don't. In fact, sometimes they add to the mis-alignment. But they do reinforce a joint that is necessary in some applications in my opinion.
-Jeff :)

John Keane
03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Howard has the answer. Go back to square one. Re-rip along the glue line, joint if you have one, glue bit if its available, or re-biscuit. In the great order of progression we have gone from dowels, to biscuit, to glue joints. I'm hoping for trees that grow as tongue and groove joints.

Lee DeRaud
03-13-2006, 11:41 PM
There's too much "slop" in the way biscuits fit in the slots for them to be effective in aligning panels. I'm a little surprised someone hasn't come out with "alignment biscuits", not made out of absorbant material and not intended to be glued, that are precisely dimensioned in thickness to fit well in the slot.Or you could just have the cutter ground down to cut the proper-size slot...