PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
03-13-2006, 8:55 AM
Boy am I GLAD that this weekend has come and gone. I was OnCall last week at work and managed to keep the hours under 105 hours for last week.

No shop time this weekend.

But I'm leaving out this morning to Pick up My New IRON!!!!!!

I'm taking a buddy from work and my youngest 2 sons with me today. The LOML is packing us all lunch and I'm hoping that we'll be back by supper time.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 9:23 AM
About my only woodworking activity this weekend was attending Alan Turner's open house (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32803) at his new teaching facility and starting the working drawings for a version of Thos Moser's New Century sideboard and hutch (http://www.thomasmoser.com/image.php?img=699) for our great room. This lack of shop time was mostly an effort to give Dr SWMBO a break as she had the girls all week solo during my business travel to Westminster CO--I was working on a new customer lab hosted by the practice group I work in.

Dennis, I'm looking forward to seeing all that new iron in living color firmly planted in your shop!

Jeff Horton
03-13-2006, 9:35 AM
Well I got a lot done this weekend. I spent all Saturday working on the garage doors. I finished the rabbits (or is that dados?) for the window grills and the panels. I built the first grill and put it in place to see how they looked. Got approval on that and went to work making the other 3 sets. I even managed to get two glued up.

Then yesterday when I ran out of clamps (so true, you never have enough!) I went to the neighbors and cut up some walnut and lotcus trees that fell for turning blanks. Even turned a pecan bowl on the lathe.

Larry Fox
03-13-2006, 9:45 AM
Attended the Jeff Jewitt finishing class at Alan Turner's teaching studio. Awesome class. Learned a ton of great information and met an amazing group of artists and craftspeople. Jim, sorry I missed you. In looking at the pictures it is clear that we were there at the same time. I must have not been thinking clearly because I didn't put two and two together and realized (until after I saw the pictures) that you were the one with the two young daughters in-tow. After seeing the pictures, it was one of those - duh - moments.

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 9:47 AM
...you were the one with the two young daughters in-tow...
Actually, I was the one in tow...they were doing the towing! I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to hook up at some point, either at Alan's place or wherever.

Steve Clardy
03-13-2006, 9:55 AM
Worked all weekend getting these cabs ready to install today. Need to be there about 11 today.
Spent some time shuffling things in the shop last night, trying to get the vehicles in, as hail was forcasted. Storms all around us. All we got was heavy rain, high winds. Son seen a funnel cloud to the west of us. It went on by thankfully.:D

Andy Hoyt
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm gaining on it (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32844). Slowly but surely.

Jim O'Dell
03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
No woodworking for moi. After working 1/2 day Sat., LOML and I took everything out of the guest bedroom to re-model it. Got the border off the top of the wall, scraped all the popcorn ceiling off, and fixed all the holes, and other damage. Now need to sand, clean, prime, texture, prime, and paint. And that's what I'm taking 3 days vacation for the end of this week. :confused: Jim

Matt Meiser
03-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Got in a lot of shop time Saturday and a little on Sunday, so made significant progress on a set of oak night stands for our bedroom. They are loosely "shaker style" to match some Amish-made furniture we got right after we got married. I'm hoping to finish them up this week.

Keith Barkhau
03-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Although not glamorous, I spent my few hours in the shop doing a thorough cleaning and reorganizing--at least for the moment all work surfaces are clear and clean, tools are back where they belong, sawdust is out of the corners and the "junk" is heading out with the trash tonight. Oh, also did some pm on the tablesaw (replaced the belt with a new linkbelt, inspected and cleaned the mechanisms) and the bandsaw (mostly just clean and lube) and replaced the bag filters in the air cleaner (from the looks of things, should have done awhile ago).

Now its sawdust time.... SWMBO-BRI wants a new cabinet for her office and I've got some QSWO just waiting to be milled.

Maurice Metzger
03-13-2006, 11:14 AM
The only woodworking I did was this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32757

Saw some art by local artists on Saturday, did the taxes on Sunday. Glad that's done.

- Maurice

Keith Barkhau
03-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Jeff, just wanted to say that those are some damn fine looking garage doors!!!

I'm curious, what size material are your using, and how difficult have you found it to be? I've been thining about doing the same, but was not sure if it was a project I actually wanted to tackle.

Tom Pritchard
03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Well, it was a busy weekend, but I did get to spend some time in the shop. I finished a weather station for my son (you can see it on my post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32818), and did my monthly clean and application of Johnson Paste Wax to all my tool surfaces! Got to spend the day at our property down near Keuka Lake on Saturday, and it was sunny and 60 degrees, an absolute PERFECT early spring day! I got all of my bluebird houses emptied and ready for a new 'rental' season while I was there.

So here I am, dreaming about next weekend.....:D

Jim Hager
03-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Looks like I posted my first report on the wrong thread, so I'll try again here in the right place. I put out a bunch of knotty pine rp doors and a few flat panel maple doors this weekend. I had all of the parts cut when I went to work Sat. morning and got all of the doors assembled before lunch. I then had to go across the street to the estate auction to watch some stuff sell. I finished the doors up and called the customer to come to get his stuff.

The humidity was so thick that all of my cast iron tools were dripping wet all day Saturday. When I opened the shop up it was warmer outside than in the shop so everything took on condensation very quickly. I've really got a mess out there on every one of my cast tools. I began shutting the doors as soon as I realized what was going on but it was too late. I'm gonna have to spend a good bit of time scrubbing rust off tables and re-waxing them.

On Sunday I crown molded the cabinet installation that I'm doing. Pics will follow of that job in the next couple of weeks. I'm really ready to wrap this one up so I can get paid.

David Duke
03-13-2006, 11:53 AM
This weekened went pretty much as I had hope other than my DIL didn't go into labor. Just hung around the house for the most part, Saturday evening I went to the grand opening of the skating rink our school district had purchased, everyone seemed to have a great time and was thankful for a safe enfiroment for the kids to be in. Sunday visited with my mom and checked on the progress of my son's new home.

Jeff Horton
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm curious, what size material are your using, and how difficult have you found it to be? I've been thining about doing the same, but was not sure if it was a project I actually wanted to tackle.
It has actually been much less work that I expected. Of course working on such a large scale is a pain the back... literally! Your really need a big assemble table. If your not in a hurry I am going to work on a web page on these soon. I have been taking photos as I went and one rainy day (maybe this afternoon) I am going to work on getting that page started.

Breifly I am using mortise and loose tennons on the frame (per a Bob Smalser suggestion) and that has worked out really well. And per another Bob Smasler suggestion on the window grills they have turned out to be very simple too. Well not simple but they were not hard. Just have to take my time and pay attention. Only messed up a couple of the peices on the grills. But I will even detail that in the web site and hopefully prevent someone else making my mistakes.

Brett Baldwin
03-13-2006, 12:40 PM
My bank account balance was too high so I went to Woodworker's Source and gave them some of it. They are nice guys there so they gave a few nice pieces of exotic wood in trade. Of course I then discovered a great deal for a nice new bandsaw at Amazon so I now have that ordered also. Although I imagine what it would be like to win the Powerball I'm really not sure how well I'd manage that much money. I guess I'll just have to win one of those jackpots that I won't be able to squander away to nothing inside of a year.

Tom A Walker
03-13-2006, 1:20 PM
I normally avoid this thread as it forces me to remember that I have no time to work in the shop. This week though I was able to actually do something!

Before the winter I build a little rolling cart for my sad but free little Delta table saw so I could store it under the wall bench to allow the cars to park in the garage. I was in a rush though and never built the extension table or mounts for the fence. Sunday I was able to finish it off which brings the shop that much closer to operational!

I'm hoping to get out there again this weekend to make my mirror frame. (http://www.tomandjaime.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=670) It feels good to at least be in the shop again if not actually building projects!

Tom

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-13-2006, 2:04 PM
Had a little shop time this weekend on Sunday. Made a threshold for the transition between the mud room and kitchen (ceramic tile to wood laminate). There is a 1/4" change in elevation and the original threshold was too thin to modify, so I made one out out of white oak. I went to HD to get some floor grade urethane to finish it off, but they only had it in gallons! So I will be stopping by a local Pratt & Lambert dealer on my way home to get some Varmor urethane. Installing the threshold will finish that room and then it's onto the first floor bathroom!

Have a great week everyone.

Mike

Vaughn McMillan
03-13-2006, 2:10 PM
Due to bad weather (rain, sleet and snow in the foothills of Los Angeles), I got more shop time this weekend than originally planned. I flocked and upholstered the inside of a pool cue case I'm working on (still have to rub out the exterior finish and install the hardware...pics will follow). Also finished a simple bandsaw box for LOML. I'n not completely satisfied with the finish job I did, but today is her birthday, so I had to give it to her this morning. I'll work more on the finish later, and if I get the finish right I'll post pics. ;) Made a template and did a few trial runs for some "fake raised mini-panel" router accents on a paper towel holder that's been asked for, and knocked out a couple of cutting boards that had been ordered. One of them is a mirror image of the other, and they came out pretty cool. I'll post pics when they're done soaking in oil.

- Vaughn

Fred Voorhees
03-13-2006, 7:23 PM
Not much in the way of woodworking, but did do some carpentry. With the nice spring type weather in our area, it got me out to do a job that has been planned for months on end. Having built a new shed for my outdoor equipment a couple of years ago, it freed up some space in my older outdoor shed and that space needed to be converted to a space to store my stuff for the fishing boat. A rack to mount both my trolling motor and the regular motor while they are not on the boat, seat cushions, life vests, oars - you get the idea. So, that was Saturday's main focus. Some pegboard came down in the old area and was remounted in the new shed to hang/store gardening tools and the like. After both of the sheds were done, it was on to cleaning up the shop and boy, did it need a good going over. And just in time. I'm just about to start on the next project which will be seven shadow box style picture frames for some racing oriented sketch drawing posters that will be hanging in the bar room. In keeping with the oak and walnut theme of the room, the frames will be mainly red oak with walnut inlay.

john mclane
03-13-2006, 7:29 PM
Finished the workbench I was working on. Built a small dolly to put under it when I need to move it.

My son came home and started on the finish epoxy /fiberglass layers of the the skim-board he is building, so I didn't want to stir up the saw dust in my dungeon to get the workbench in place. Maybe tonight I'll move it and take some pictures.

Joe Blankshain
03-13-2006, 8:38 PM
This weekend belonged to the LOML. Friday evening - out to dinner and drinks with friends. Sat a.m.- in the shop to unpack the X31 from Dennis which arrived perfectly and is the latest and greatest in the arsenal against undisturbed wood. Sat p.m. - gardening and out to a quiet dinner with "the boss" (LOML). Sunday - fishing: friend's son (3 years old) caught a two lb bass, we caught a beer buzz. the rest of the day gardening and BBQ. Not bad as my new saw is safe unpacked and ready for action.

Bill Simmeth
03-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I learned to French Polish and met lotsa Creekers doin it and had a great time to boot! :p http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32803

Garry Smith
03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I finally got the chance to chunk up the big cherry burl that I posted a few weeks back.
Heres some photos. There are alot more photos on my site that show the other cuts made.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Wood/LargeCherryBurl/CB03b.JPG
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Wood/LargeCherryBurl/CB04.JPG
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Wood/LargeCherryBurl/CB03d.JPG