PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite method for tightening a hammer handle?

Mike Becker
03-13-2006, 8:51 AM
Since I got into ww fairly late in life any hammer I have used wore fiberglass handles. Recently I picked up a small cross-peen hammer which I intend on using for picture framing work. It's a Made in the USA Stanley & has a wooden handle. The hammer is in fine shape except for the handle being loose. I know the old mantra - for a loose hammer handle, throw the hammer into a bucket of water over night! I've also heard of using motor oil instead of water, but eventually both the water and motor oil will evaporate, resulting again in a loose handle. Either are just temporary fixes anyway. So my question is:

What is you favorite method for fixing a loose wooden hammer handle???

Thanks!

Aaron Kline
03-13-2006, 9:45 AM
I was told by a handle maker to soak in linseed oil overnight. DONT use water. The cells will crush and the hammer head will fall off. Or you could make a new handle or buy one.

Steve Clardy
03-13-2006, 9:59 AM
I usually pull the wedge out, hit the end of the handle with another hammer, driving the handle into the head, skim off the protruding wood, reinsert wedge. [If it has a wedge] If not, remove handle, epoxy, reinstall.

Wes Bischel
03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Gee, my uncle just uses them until the head flies off. Then he goes out and buys another one - usually on the way back from the ER.:eek:

Actually, I've done what Steve suggested - remove wedge, buggering up the top as I do so, drive the handle in further, replace wedge, repeat because I let the head get loose again before driving the wedge:o , then took it to the belt sander to make it all right with the world.

Wes

Larry Klaaren
03-13-2006, 11:16 AM
My father-in-law used to lift the hammer off the bench and hold it upright, then slam the handle-end onto the bench, then drive the wedge farther in or add another wedge.

I haven't had a problem with loose heads since I bought a graphite handled hammer. I don't think it cost more than the eventual cost of buying new handles for the cheaper hammers and it has a higher quality head. Of course, if you lose them . . .

Larry

Mike Becker
03-13-2006, 7:31 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. I will use a combination of your methods - I will reseat the wedge and if that isn't enough I'll soak the hammer in some BLO.

Again, thank you all...

Bill White
03-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Put some "CHAIR LOCK" on the wedge end. It will swell the wood fibers.
Bill

Wiktor Kuc
03-18-2006, 4:27 PM
I just posted an article on my website on restoring hammers.

www.wkFineTools.com (http://www.wkFineTools.com) - first article in Todays list.

Mybe this will help.

WK

Mike Wenzloff
03-18-2006, 6:33 PM
Hey Wiktor--Welcome!

For those who do not know Wiktor, his site is a wonderful resource for the woodworking community.

Again, welcome. Mike

Mark Stutz
03-18-2006, 7:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek. I agree, Mike, the website is great! BTW, Mike, nice shirt!:D

Mike Wenzloff
03-18-2006, 7:49 PM
Ha--I forgot Wiktor added me for the month on his site--been busy.

That shirt reminds me of Kauai. I spent a few months there and was given that shirt. Wonderful days.

Take care, Mike