PDA

View Full Version : That's it, time to "Chuck It"........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-13-2006, 8:03 AM
So which one....?

I have the Craftsman 12" tube bed lathe, an old one.

I want to do bowls etc.

I need to buy a chuck, and I need a live center as well as a spur drive (the part that goes into the headstock to spin spindles), I would like to get one faceplate, and I'd also like to get all of this at one place, on the cheap, shipped to Japan...... :D

Now the chuck, I'm talking about a good one, as the cheap ones are available here, but they want $100 for them :eek:

I figure I'll the way to go is to buy a Talon chuck, with the basic set of jaws.

What say you?

Cheers!

03-13-2006, 8:34 AM
OK, I just looked, they want 42,000 yen for the basic Talon chuck here :eek:

That is about $385.

I'm now thinking of buying TWO of them and selling one, "New in the Box" on Yahoo here to, at the very least, defray the cost of the one I keep :D

A while back, I saw one sell for 35,000 yen, used, so maybe this will work..?

Anyone have a good place to deal with?

I've dealt with Rockler, and they ship to Japan, no problem, so....

But, if you guys can recommend someone else....?

Cheers!

George Conklin
03-13-2006, 8:36 AM
It's time to move back to the States, Stu. Shipping charges are going to do you in.

Now that you have fallen into the vortex, you'll see that the mail ordering just gets worse:( .

George

03-13-2006, 8:40 AM
Back to Canada, you mean ;)

Geez, don't tell me you thought I was a Yank..eh? ;) :D

I need to send my kids back to Canada for visits to the Grandparents more often!! :D

Cheers!

Gary Max
03-13-2006, 8:44 AM
Would it be cheaper to have someone just ship it to you----looks like they are killing you with inflated charges. I ship to Germany and Oz all the time and never spent big bucks on shipping cost. Just a thought maybe save you some money.

03-13-2006, 9:08 AM
I get charged the shipping, I see the shipping price they pay on the package, sometimes, but not often, I get hit with a handling charge.

Shipping to Japan is not cheap.

Shipping from Japan is stupid expensive!! :eek:

OK, I looked.....

A 10lb package from the US to;

Germany EMS $56.90 Surface $25.05

Japan EMS $57.20 Surface $31.90

Now a 10lb package From Japan to the US;

EMS $74.54 Surface $40.00

OK, it does not seem like that much, but still, it hurts

Jim Davenport
03-13-2006, 9:23 AM
You might be able to order straight from Oneway in Canada. They seem to be good people to deal with when I talked to them on the phone. Here's their E-mail address:
orderdesk@oneway.on.ca <orderdesk@oneway.on.ca>

I just ordered a "Talon" from them Last week. They shipped free to the US.
I enjoy reading your adventures in Japan. I was stationed there in the sixties. I loved the country. My wife an I traveled all over the country on a motorcycle. The people were very friendly. we got a couple of strange looks from some American tourists when we were in Osaka. Pulling into a hotel on the Bike, wearing leathers, and a good coat of road grime.:rolleyes:

03-13-2006, 9:24 AM
Thanks Jim, I'll give them a shout.

I ride over here as well, a very good place to ride bikes!

Cheers!

Stuart Johnson
03-13-2006, 9:55 AM
Stu, Get some large washers and some nuts that fit your spindle and make up some faceplates. Use the faceplate screwed to the blank to rough the outside, a glue block for the inside and a donut chuck for finishing the bottom. You don't need a chuck but they are nice.

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I also suggest you message OneWay directly...

Gary Max
03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Can you buy a SuperNova 11 straight from OZ????
Heck at least they are on your side of the world.

Hank Walczak
03-13-2006, 7:56 PM
Stu - I had the Home Depot version of that same lathe. It had a 4 speed belt drive on it. When I was at Sears a while back, the differences were minor. The problem I had with the lathe was that it wasn't able to go slow enough. I think the slowest speed was 875 rpm. Not to menton the MT#1 & the 3/4-16 spindle thread size. Turning a bowl much larger than about 6" was hard. Around 10" it was just plain scary. It did great on spindle work. Even managed to turn a pair of drum sticks on it. Never had much success with it on bowls. Managed to do some but it was obvious it was the wrong tool for the job. I got a different lathe that could go a lot slower. Just my .02 Good luck and be careful.

Hank

Jim Davenport
03-13-2006, 8:17 PM
Stu - I had the Home Depot version of that same lathe. It had a 4 speed belt drive on it. When I was at Sears a while back, the differences were minor. The problem I had with the lathe was that it wasn't able to go slow enough. I think the slowest speed was 875 rpm. Not to menton the MT#1 & the 3/4-16 spindle thread size. Turning a bowl much larger than about 6" was hard. Around 10" it was just plain scary. It did great on spindle work. Even managed to turn a pair of drum sticks on it. Never had much success with it on bowls. Managed to do some but it was obvious it was the wrong tool for the job. I got a different lathe that could go a lot slower. Just my .02 Good luck and be careful.

Hank
I've seen some people make an "intermediate Jackshaft" with some pillow bearings, and pulley's, to run it slower.

David Fried
03-13-2006, 9:22 PM
I've seen some people make an "intermediate Jackshaft" with some pillow bearings, and pulley's, to run it slower.

Don't give Stu any ideas!! Next thing you know he'll have the transmission from a Toyota rigged up to that thing :D

Dave Fried

Jeff Horton
03-13-2006, 9:55 PM
I bought my Chuck from Hartville Tools. I have no idea if they ship to Japan but they were a pleasure to deal with. I ordered the adaptor from Oneway because Hartville didn't stock and they suggested it would be faster. (Took a almost 5 days to clear coustoms!!). I would deal with either one again, but would tend to deal in the states since I could avoid the coustoms delay. Not an issue for you.

03-13-2006, 11:07 PM

Hank
HI Hank!

The lathe that you had, was the tube bed one long piece, or two pieces that you bolt together?

I have an old version of the lathe, and it is a once piece tube bed, I've heard that the newer ones were two piece, for shipping, and they vibrate a lot. I've also build a stand for my lathe that I'm hoping will let me do larger bowls, but I'll have to see.

The motor I bought for running the lathe, here in Japan, runs slower than the ones in the US, and I have a 5th speed on the pulley on the motor. The second smallest pulley size is the same size as the smallest pulley on the headstock, so I have a gear lower. I do not know the rpms, I guess I could figure it out..? (EDIT) I just checked, the ones here in Japan run at....

(50 hz/60hz)
480/575rpm
850/980rpm
1310/1560rpm
2120/2520rpm
3010/3580rpm

I'm in Tokyo, so I'm at 50hz. I guess I run around 480 rpm..?

The Ridgid on says it runs at 875/1350/2250/3450 rpm

Maybe I'll have more success with mine?

This is the lathe I have for now, I'll just have to adapt and overcome!! :D

Cheers!

03-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Don't give Stu any ideas!! Next thing you know he'll have the transmission from a Toyota rigged up to that thing :D

Dave Fried

I do have the transmission for a Kawasaki KDX 200 kicking around.... :D:D

Kenny Heermann
03-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Hello Stu, Don't know if it would be possible but you may need to become friends with a US military person who would be able to have stuff mailed to him(or her) at the APO or FPO military address. When I was in Japan in the early 70's, things from home were shipped by US mail and as I recall shipping was not as expensive as the rates you were talking about. Good Luck, Kenny in indep

03-13-2006, 11:52 PM
HI Kenny, I have several friends that I could ask to do that, and they have offered, but at the chance of getting one of my firends in hot water, no way, it is just money after all :D

Glenn Hodges
03-14-2006, 8:06 AM
Stu, it might pay you to hang around the airport and get to know a stewardess. Sounds like a few drinks and dinner would be cheaper than shipping charges for a few favors of bringing things backs from over the really big pond. Don't worry, pretty soon everything under the sun that is manufactured is being coppied by China and will be made over there, and you can probably get it shipped from China cheaper.

03-14-2006, 8:12 AM
Stu, it might pay you to hang around the airport and get to know a stewardess. Sounds like a few drinks and dinner would be cheaper than shipping charges......

GEEZ Glenn, you are really trying to get me into trouble!!

I ordered the tap today, should be here in a week, or less.

Cheers!