PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Done!

Bob Opsitos
03-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I finished the trophy I was asked to make for a golf tournament at work. Sorry for the picture qual, digi cam is acting up again. Plan to take some more at work tomorrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/Today033.jpg

Semented Maple and Paduak. Second segmented and the largest segmented peice I've done. Also the largest hollowing I've done, with the 1" base it's over 12" tall. I like the end results of segmented turnings, but it's so much more nerve racking cutting on a blank that's got hours and hours in it, instead of minutes with the chainsaw. Even more so when you are approaching a deadline and someone else is fronting for the wood. Not sure how you guys with your 100+ (or 200 & 300+) peice turnings manage.

All segements were cut on my DW708, and glued up in simple jigs I made with toggle clamps to try to keep the joints gap free and even thickness. Trimming up half rings was a combo of table saw jig, DW433 belt sander and granite plate and sandpaper. Looking back the tablesaw worked the best.

Full rings were rough flattened with a block plane and LV BUS smoother plane. Then I took them to work to use the Delta horiz drum sander. Never used a drum sander, and now I need another tool. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Gluing the blank was done in stages, sets of 2 rings, then gluing the first set to the waste block, a little turning to made inside and outside round and then gluing another set on. Once it was all glued I turned the outside to shape and proceeded to hollow the inside with the new Munro hollower I got for this project. Worked ok, but I think it's a better end grain hollower, plus I am still new to it.

Sanded to 800, with mineral spirits wet sanding from 320. To sand the inside I used some adhesive velcro to a peice of plastic conduit and then attached 6" sander discs to the velcro. Worked great.

Finish is Danish Oil and wipe on poly (5 coats) and then lightly buffed with the tripoli wheel. I saw what the white diamond wheel did to a test peice of Paduak and decided to stop at the tripoli and only lightly buff the poly for smoothness.

Thanks for looking, glad it's done.
Bob

Corey Hallagan
03-12-2006, 11:31 PM
That is sweet! Nice job... the winner will be happy to have that on the mantle!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Bob that is fantastic. You did a great job on the trophy. Somebody will be proud to have that. Great work.

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 12:38 AM
That's some trophy Bob. The winner, I'm sure, will be very happy.

Ernie

John Hart
03-13-2006, 9:25 AM
Very Cool Bob! That'll look goooood in a trophy cabinet!:)

Keith Burns
03-13-2006, 9:27 AM
Very nice trophy Bob. You did a great job on the joints and you are right about the drum sander. The form is good as well as the finish and the reciepient should be proud.:) :)

Chip Sutherland
03-13-2006, 10:20 AM
I love the visual movement in the maple segments. I really, really need to try segmented work. I printed off a TS sled design that is supposed to work better than a mitre saw. How long did it take for you to go from rought stock up to finishing?

Bob Opsitos
03-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the nice words. Everyone who's seen it at work has been blown away.

Chip, it estimate I've got like 30+ hours in the whole thing over a ~month. Took me a little longer to go from rough stock as I cut the maple from a 16/4 peice and the paduak from a 8x8x2 turning blank. Some extra time in stock prep that wouldn't have been there had I gotten 4/4 material to begin with. Most of that time was blank prep. Plus I was turning very slowly and carefully out of paranoia.

Thanks
Bob

Edit added better picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN1122.jpg