PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone date this plane?

Cliff Polubinsky
03-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Good evening. Been reading here for a while and now have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.

I stopped by a local flea market this afternoon and found a Miller Falls 814 and a North Bros. Yankee Handyman 133H for a total of $18. I've checked the Miller Falls sites I could find, but can't come up with an age for this plane.

The characteristics of this one are:

Miller Falls No 814 stamped into the left side cheek
Red frog
Black tote, handle and lever cap
Nothing stamped into the bed around the tote
Behind the frog is stamped 305, P2 and Made in USA

The plane is in good shape. A little surface rust on the bed and sides. Japanning all there except for 3 small sections along the top edges of the sides. Should work well once I get it cleaned up and sharpened.

This brings me up to a grand total of 4 planes - a Handyman that I inherited from my father, a Stanley No 4C that a friend picked up at an auction, and a new Stanley 60 1/2 from Woodcraft. Now I just need to learn how to use them properly.

Also, anyone know where I can get an adapter for the Yankee 133H so I can use modern bits?

Thanks for all information/advice.

Cliff

jay hanks
03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
When Millers Falls discontinued its second quality Mohawk-Shelburne line, it continued to market the No. 900 and No. 814 economy planes under the Millers Falls brand name. Some minor changes in appearance were made. The clamping levers on the lever caps were no longer being painted red--the entire cap was painted black. In addition, the cutters were now described as being made from tool steel rather than 'good quality steel.' This second change, although more than cosmetic, was more likely due to the dropping cost of quality steel than to a desire to reposition the planes in the marketplace.

http://www.public.coe.edu/~rroeder/main/bench/economyplanes.htm

I got that info from the above website, good infor there about Millers Falls.

Roger Bell
03-13-2006, 9:15 PM
You can get an adapter that takes the place of the factory bits from McFeeley's Square Drive Screws. In that adapter, you can use wire detante bits for square drive, phillips, torx, etc. and replace these as necessary.

McFeeley's has more than one style of adapter that will work. Take care that you order the right one that will fit your unit.

Tim Leo
03-13-2006, 9:34 PM
Would it be OK if I have her home by midnight? :o

Cliff Polubinsky
03-13-2006, 9:42 PM
Heck, if you clean it up you can have it home by 1 am.

Cliff