PDA

View Full Version : Looking to sell a huge black waltnut tree

Kristen Woessner
03-12-2006, 9:32 PM
I have a 300 year old black walnut tree on my property and would like to know how I go about selling. I am in Long Island, New York.

rick fulton
03-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Kristen -

If you are on the west coast, call or email Reprise Hardwood.
http://www.ufei.org/urbanwood/CategoryDetail.Lasso?KeyValue=1499

Rick

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-12-2006, 10:39 PM
You will probably find there is not a hot market for yard trees. Sawyers are afraid of them because they often have metal like nails, wire, tools, there have even been rifles found in old tree trunks and that can be hard on blades. One tree will not be of interest to a sawmill generally. There are few companies to day who specialize in urban wood reclaiming but there may not be any in your area.

Often city people with big old trees will find that they not only have to pay to get the tree cut down, they also have to pay to have it hauled away. Sometimes they might find a woodworker or woodturner who would like to have the wood but they are not likely to pay for the tree since there is lot of work cutting up and hauling off a tree. An add in the local penny saver might turn up something but don't count on it.

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 9:55 AM
Contact Woodmizer to find sawyers in your area...sometimes those folks will buy a tree for lumber resale. But Don is correct, it is unlikely the "big boys" will be interested. It would also be helpful if you would add your general location to your profile as there may be another SMC member who may be interested.

Jim Dailey
03-13-2006, 9:59 AM
Where are you located?

Aaron Kline
03-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Walnut yard trees are called magnets, they always have junk metal hidden in them. You'll have to pay somebody to cut it down and if you want the lumber from it, pay somebody to saw it. Otherwise a local miller might take it away free of charge. But selling a standing yard tree just won't happen. And it won't make you rich either. Taking a old big tree like that down is going to cost upwards of 2 grand.

Mike Monroe
03-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Contact your state employed forester people. They'll have the most knowledge and can advise you on what is best for your situation.