PDA

View Full Version : Bs Sled/re-saw

richard poitras
03-12-2006, 9:05 PM
There has been a lot of posts about BS's and resawing reg. lumber with a fence, but not much talk about cutting small logs? 2 or 3 ft. long by say 12'' high max. I have a Delta BS with a riser kit on it and would like to cut up a log or two for some wood for small boxs . Is there any home made sled pans or recomandaions for the best way to cut up a ruff log before going to a fence? I know that small BS are not the best thing to ues to cut a log but one or two going slow souldnt hurt to much(got to use the tools you have) can't afford a big saw at this time and if I do get a bigger saw I could posibly use the same sled on it?

Mike Cutler
03-12-2006, 9:15 PM
Richard.

A 3' by 12" dia piece of material is actually pretty big for just about any home bandsaw.

John Lucas of Woodshop Demo's has a slick little rig featured in one of his articles for bandsawing smaller material. here is the link. I know that I've seen it used on smaller logs also.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/jwlr-1.htm

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 9:25 PM
It's not just the ability of the saw that is in play or a way to hold the log during the cut...it's your ability to safely lift said log up to the required height for the cut. A 3' x 12" diameter log is gonna be one very heavy item, especially with all the water-weight in it!

Paul B. Cresti
03-12-2006, 9:50 PM
Check out the MiniMax user group on Yahoo. One member, Jerry Work, I believe made up a great sled and support system for his saw.

richard poitras
03-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Jim, I may have over stated the size of the log a bit(sorry) but never the less need the best way to cut "small" logs // Paul not sure what the web site address to MM forum is can you help me out with this info? Thanks

rick fulton
03-12-2006, 10:48 PM
not sure what the web site address to MM forum is can you help me out with this info? Thanks

Since we can't have links to other forums, look for "MiniMax-USA" in yahoos finance groups section.

rick

richard poitras
03-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Found it thanks, Thanks Rick

Tyler Howell
03-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Richard.

A 3' by 12" dia piece of material is actually pretty big for just about any home bandsaw.

John Lucas of Woodshop Demo's has a slick little rig featured in one of his articles for bandsawing smaller material. here is the link. I know that I've seen it used on smaller logs also.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/jwlr-1.htm

I picked one of those up at Rockler off the clearance table. Haven't used it yet but looking forward to give it a try.

Ted Christiansen
03-13-2006, 5:50 PM
Richard,

Jim is right, and I have experienced it. Lifting logs upto bandsaw height and steadily guiding them through the saw is a challenge. I have done some of it without any infeed and outfeed supports, but not 3' x 12" diameter. I usually split logs like that in half (lengthwise) using my chainsaw and Timberjig first. This reduces it down to 3' x 6" - much more manageable.

The other option is to build an in and outfeed system like my dad has. The tables are very sturdy and have ball rollers mounted on them. The miter slot extends the whole length via a strip on the tables with a slot milled into it.

A plywood "platform" slides on these ball rollers (guided by the miter slot) making it very easy to move the log along. The only resistance is the blade cutting the wood.

Still, he is not able to lift 3-4' x 11" diameter logs up there himself - we have done that together once and cut quite a few logs in a short time. If you want to do it alone, you will need some sort of chainfall and log tongs to lift the logs.

Regards,

Ted

richard poitras
03-13-2006, 6:42 PM
Guys, In my search for some kind of jig for cutting logs I came across this site it is a combo of John Lucas store bought rig and Teds dads out feed system.I think it might just work for what I was looking for. http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/articles/200008/main/index.html

Thanks for all the input!

Mike Cutler
03-13-2006, 6:55 PM
That looks like it should do nicely. Give it a whirl, and let us know how it works.