PDA

View Full Version : Over Head Guard for a Combo

Sam Blasco
03-12-2006, 8:37 PM
I finally completed my proto-type for an arm style over head guard for my combination machine. I missed using it from my days in Miami where I had a ceiling to hang it from (they are too high in the Austin shop). The problem with a combo is there is no place to attach the arm and even if you could, most of them out there are not tall enough (without mods) so that the jointer tables clear when opened. It also needed to be forward enough that I could use the jointer without removing it. I made up for this distance by moving the attachment point back at the saw blade side. I used my extension table, attached to my mortiser, as a base point, and it pivots on a PVC sewer pipe coming down through the extension table so that it can be moved out of the way when using the shaper. Naturally, it must be removed when using the mortiser.

Anyway, it works excellently, and I do have some minor modifications I want to perform, now that I have worked with it for a bit, but I think I will wait about three months to see what else I might like to change.

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 9:30 PM
Very innovative, Sam. I think using the mortiser mounting position was a terrific idea!