PDA

View Full Version : Sargent VBM?

Dan Forman
03-12-2006, 5:01 PM
I just received what I thought would be a Sargent VBM foreplane (#6 equivalent) I bought on eBay, but now I'm wodering. It has a VBM levercap, but there are no markings of any kind anywhere else on the casting or frog. The angle on the frog seems to be a tad steeper that that of the throat of the casting, and the tote and knob seem a bit crude compared to a Stanley.

I only own one other Sargent plane, and that's a transitional, so I don't have aything else to go by. The blade has been cleaned up, it was obviously rusty and pitted. The name on the blade has been mostly obliterated, but it does appear to be a Sargent blade. I would post a pic of the plane, but don't have a web page to link to.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Dan

Clinton Findlay
03-14-2006, 1:27 AM
Dan,
The VBM logo was used by Sargent over the period 1910 - 1918.

The words Sargent V.B.M New Haven CT. U.S.A and the Model number will appear on the blade, Sargent VBM on the cap.

The body should have:
Type 3 (1910) - "Sargent and Co." With "Pat 7-3-06" cast into the body behind the frog.
Type 4 (1911 - 1917) - "Sargent" in a box behind the knob, the patent behind the frog.

The lever cap should have the plane number cast into its reverse.

No VBM branded planes (to the best of my knowledge) were devoid of markings on the body of the plane. Sargent did make planes for other retailers and it may be one of these, or a marriage of parts.

Hope this assists.

Dan Forman
03-14-2006, 3:47 AM
I don't know at this point. I posted this on another website, and several said they had VBM's without any marks on the body casting. It could easily be a mongrel though. The frog appears to be a Sargent, and it's definately a match to the body. Here are a few pics.

Dan

Clinton Findlay
03-14-2006, 5:00 AM
The only other Sargent fore that I can think of is the 18. This was marked on the body with the number 18.

You totes and handles do not look standard for a Sargent, but then users have been known to replace and customise these items. ;)
To be expected on a 100 + tool.
I'll go take another look at mine and see if a comparison to the frog enlightens me.

I guess the unasked question is - are you pleased with it in use?

Clinton Findlay
03-15-2006, 10:48 PM
The Bob Kaune website has the attached pic, parts of the frog are so similiar that it must be made in the same factory - i.e. the hatching on either side of the lever. I can't suggest a type though.

I have my planes out on loan at the moment, and haven't picked them up yet. So I can't do as I said I would.
I'd suggest that the person to chat to is David Heckel, and think that he is a member of one of the www.sapfm.org (http://www.sapfm.org) chapters. Maybe you could request for some assistance there?

Edited to change the link, which was wrong.

Dan Forman
03-16-2006, 4:29 AM
Clinton---I checked the link, but as I'm not up to date on my oriental languages, it wasn't very helpful :D

I'm still in the process of tuning the plane, the sole was a good deal out of whack, so I'm working on lapping it. The frog has an 18 stamped on the bottom, as does the levercap on the reverse side. I'm quite certain the tote and knob aren't original, they are pretty funky. I got it for a user, but I suspect it's a mongrel, maybe made for another company, then at some point acquired the VBM lever cap. It probably doesn't make much difference, but I am a little disappointed I guess. The perils of doing business on eBay. The seller doesn't specialize in tools, so I don't think she did a deliberate switch.

Edit: I just checked the Kaune web site, the frog looks different, but that body doesn't have any marks on it either, so who knows?

Dan

Clinton Findlay
03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
I see what you meant by needing to be able to read another language.

I have changed the link.
:o

Brian Eve
01-06-2016, 5:54 AM
I know this is a seriously old thread, but it looks to me that this plane could be a #18, since that is what is on the frog and levercap. The #18 is a foreplane, but with this superior Shaw's patent frog.

Derek Arita
01-08-2016, 5:25 PM
The blade leveler is an early Sargent and frog body appears to be right. Also, on the body, just behind the throat, looks thick, just as it should. Pretty sure the body is right.