PDA

View Full Version : Rachels First Pen

John Hart
03-12-2006, 4:35 PM
Well here's Rachel with her first Pen and first turning. She's 12 years old. She did this last weekend and I didn't get it posted til today. It is made from Red, White and Blue Acrylics that Ken Hertzog laminated. Polished with Micromesh. She's pretty proud of it for sure!!:)

Rich Stewart
03-12-2006, 4:45 PM
Now you gonna have to buy THREE lathes. We never gonna hear from you again soon. The girls will have the lathe. Beautiful pen Rach. My son (16) took one to school and everybody wanted him to make one for them. Where's Rachels bonker?

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2006, 5:03 PM
Rachel that is a fine looking pen. Great job. It is fun to teach and work with your kids. Enjoy John.

Corey Hallagan
03-12-2006, 5:06 PM
They did good DAD, must be a pretty good teacher!! Way to go Rachel!

Corey

David Fried
03-12-2006, 5:33 PM
Great looking pen Rachel! I love the red, white, & blue strips.
Do you have her turning with a bench chisel John??:eek: :D

Dave Fried

John Hart
03-12-2006, 5:39 PM
Do you have her turning with a bench chisel John??:eek: :D

She was having trouble wielding the big tools, so she opted to use my set of minis. This week, I bought a smaller version set of my tools...so today, she got to use her own tools on the bonker. Much better!!!;)

Gary Max
03-12-2006, 6:34 PM
What---a new set of tools and no pic------Geeeee
You can not just sneak that in and leave us hanging.
Oh Rachel you did a great job on your pen.

Andy Hoyt
03-12-2006, 7:58 PM
Atta girl, Rachel. Looks like a keeper for sure.

Okay, John. You've done pens, Elise and Rachel have done pens. So when is Mom gonna get in on the action?

Gary Max
03-12-2006, 8:21 PM
Andy did you make your bonker Yet???????????

Andy Hoyt
03-12-2006, 9:25 PM
Nope. Working on that monster over in the OT Forum instead. But have no fear I will bodger up a decent bonker by next Sunday.

Mike Ramsey
03-12-2006, 9:26 PM
Great job and beautiful pen Rachel!! The Hart Group! Clevelands premier
turning club! :) John is this your excuse to work in a new lathe? See LOML,
the girls have my lathe tied up and I really need a new one so I can turn
bonkers!

Dale Thompson
03-12-2006, 9:36 PM
Hi Rachel,
You did a GREAT job on that pen!! :) When you start giving lessons, please let me know! :D :cool:

By the way, I hope that your dad made you wear one of those GREAT UVEX Faceshields! :eek: :)

Thanks for sharing your talent! :)

Dale T.

Ernie Nyvall
03-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Wow Rachel, what a great pen!!! And you didn't start with an easy one either. I see from your right hand that it writes good too.:D Thanks for showing us.

John, again you must be very proud. Congratulations on such talented children.

Ernie

Raymond Overman
03-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Wow, that's a great looking pen and especially for the first one! The first pen I turned was so rough and uneven that it looked like a corn cob. Rachel, you're a natural. Keep up the good work.

Mark Cothren
03-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice work Rachel! Good job coaching, John!

Keith Burns
03-13-2006, 9:21 AM
Very nice pen Rachel:) :) You have a great teacher/instructor:D

I can see it now...HART, HART & HART, INCORPORATED, WOODTURNERS @ LARGE

John Miliunas
03-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Awesome job on the pen, Rach!!! :) Be careful...They're addicting! Now, if you should happen to get this particular affliction, just kick the old man off the lathe and take over. :) Just tell him he needs to go get educated on how to take care of horses. That should keep him busy for a month or two and you'll have the lathe all to yourself! :D :cool: (Now if you'll excuse me, while I go try and find a place to hide from your Dad...:eek: )

Keith Burns
03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Just tell him he needs to go get educated on how to take care of horses. That should keep him busy for a month or two and you'll have the lathe all to yourself! :D :cool: (Now if you'll excuse me, while I go try and find a place to hide from your Dad...:eek: )

Wwwhhhoooooo John. I have a feeling there is not a deep enough hole for you to hide in now:D

Gary Max
03-13-2006, 12:20 PM
John you better head way North-----if you keep moveing you MIGHT be safe.

Dale Thompson
03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
John you better head way North-----if you keep moveing you MIGHT be safe.

Gary,
Don't send him up HERE!! Us northwoods folks do have SOME pride! :cool: ;) :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
03-13-2006, 1:22 PM
Gary,
Don't send him up HERE!! Us northwoods folks do have SOME pride! :cool: ;) :)

Dale T.

No fears, Pesh! I've decided to just stay put and take it like a man! :) Besides, I figure 2 foot concrete walls with lead lining on this here outhouse, should do the trick! :D :cool:

John Hart
03-13-2006, 9:43 PM
Thanx everyone! I did have a great teacher but... I don't plan on stealing anyone's lathe. Thank you again though, I stil don't get what was so hard about the PLASTIC!?!? Daddy says that horses are dangerous and lathes are SAFE.:)