PDA

View Full Version : Doll Cradle project (pics)

Marc Hills
08-08-2003, 6:39 AM
Hi Everyone:

I alluded to this project in my "Argh! I hate power tools!" post. You'll forgive me for posing the subject to hide the results of my heavy-handed routing. After marring the first rocker with a power tool, I contoured the second using a spokeshave and wood file. Wouldn't you know it; it came out better and was just as fast. You live and learn.

My wife and daughter have introduced me to more modern aesthetic sensibilities. Lots of things with stylized lizards, stars and Kokipelli. Just as an aside, it's really funny to hear a 3 year old use the word "kokipelli" in a sentence.

So hence the inlaid silver spiral. Otherwise it's strictly traditional dovetailed and M&T construction. That sort of joinery isn't strictly necessary on a four year old's doll cradle, although it will please me immensely if she one day grows to appreciate it. But I went that route because everything I read on handcut dovetails says, "Practice, practice, practice." For some reason it's hard for me to practice dovetails on throw-away scraps, so I tend to incorporate them in my projects, even though they never come out perfectly (someday, sigh).

For example, the wooden box that holds my measuring and marking tools has some pretty rude-looking dovetails, but hey, it is a box, instead of more wood in the burn pile.

Marc Hills
08-08-2003, 6:43 AM
Hmmm. Need more coffee.

Roger Myers
08-08-2003, 9:46 AM
Marc,

I know from personal experience that your daughter will treasure this and it will become a family heirloom, and she will indeed come to appreciate the hand work and extra effort that went into it. This will be especially true when she is a little older and you are showing her how to layout and cut her very first dovetails.

I'm sure you've seen the delta ad with the baby in the cradle, and the tag line - "you must be very proud...is this the first time you've hand cut dovetails?" Very appropriate to your post :)

I also try all my new techniques on items that will find a use of some type...you get the added benefit of being able to look back later and see how you have progressed, and that is a strong positive motivator!

Nice job on the cradle!! And enjoy the hand tools...I'm by no means a "purist" in this regard, but find myself defaulting to the hand tool option more and more for the quiet pleasures it brings!

Roger

Paul Barnard
08-08-2003, 9:51 AM
Hi Everyone:

I Lots of things with stylized lizards, stars and Kokipelli. Just as an aside, it's really funny to hear a 3 year old use the word "kokipelli" in a sentence.

Marc,

That looks great. Lucky dolls!
Just so that you know, I had to look kokipelli up :o

Paul Barnard
08-08-2003, 9:55 AM
I'm sure you've seen the delta ad with the baby in the cradle, and the tag line - "you must be very proud...is this the first time you've hand cut dovetails?" Very appropriate to your post :)

I like those adds. Have you noticed the fine print? "Cradle curtesy of Norm Abrams". Now, do you believe they are handcut dovetails?

Roger Myers
08-08-2003, 9:58 AM
I like those adds. Have you noticed the fine print? "Cradle curtesy of Norm Abrams". Now, do you believe they are handcut dovetails?

Paul - I loved that series of ads, and never picked that up...now I have to grab the issue on my desk here and look for the brads that I'm sure are there as well :)