PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Question

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I've gotten the impression reading here that most people have their grinders set up with 60-80 grit for shaping and 120 grit for finish sharpening. So I'm reading the Raffan book, and his setup is 36 and 80, going directly from sharpening on the 80-grit to the lathe, maybe removing the burr ("polishing" as he calls it) with 120-grit paper if required.

Do they grade their abrasives differently in England or is this just one of those old-school/new-wave things?

Cecil Arnold
03-12-2006, 1:48 PM
Lee, I think Raffin can get away with that, but most of the test of us use finer grit stones. Like Jim Becker I do most of my sharpening on a 120 gr stone and shaping on an 80. It is really a matter of personal preference, but you might consider that as novices we could really take off some steel with the 60-80 option.

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2006, 2:02 PM
I think Raffin can get away with that, but most of the test of us use finer grit stones.You mean like, "Kids, do not try this at home, we are trained professionals."? Ok, I can live with that.

Dale Thompson
03-12-2006, 2:37 PM
You mean like, "Kids, do not try this at home, we are trained professionals."? Ok, I can live with that.

Lee,
I have to agree with the above. :) Raffan even gets away with grey wheels! :o

From the wisdom of, "Kids, do not try this at home, we are trained professionals", I'm in the "safe" zone of 80 and 120 grit white wheels. :)

If nothing else, Lee, the higher grits give me more "practice" in terms of "wrecking" my higher priced chisels! :( :o :)

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
03-12-2006, 2:43 PM
I have one blue wheel and one pink one. Had them so long I've forgotten what grit they might be, but I do know that the pink one is a finer grit. For 90% of my grinding I use the blue one and call it good. Only bother with the pink one when I'm messing with really small micro turning tools and don't want the steel to heat up so fast. Works for me, but your mileage will vary.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2006, 3:34 PM
I use a 60 grit gray wheel and a 120 grit pink. Use the pink when turning. When I am done turning and give the gouges a going over for the next round of turning I use the gray first and then the pink.

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 4:19 PM
I use a 60 grit wheel for shaping and a 100 grit wheel for sharpening. (Norton 3X wheels) I find the 120 grit wheels to run a little "too hot" for my liking. 80 grit is fine for shaping/sharpening, too...it just happens that the Norton wheels I use come in 60 and 100.

John Hart
03-13-2006, 6:17 AM
Yup...I'm a 80-120 kinda guy too. Don't use the grey one much...'cept for shaping.