PDA

View Full Version : Alan Turner Open House - Pictures

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I had the distinct pleasure of attending the "Grand Opening Open House" today for SMC member Alan Turner's Philadelphia Furniture Workshop (http://philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/), a really wonderful teaching/learning/doing facility. It's set on the second floor of a really kewel old industrial building in the Germantown section of Philadelphia and really looks great! The open house was very well attended and even included a drawing for some great hand tools compliments of Joel Moskowitz and Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com) in NYC.

Since I was away all week on business in Westminster, CO, the girls accompanied me to the event so Dr. SWMBO (aka...mama) could take a well-deserved nap. I'm happy to say, they had a good time, although I suspect the "unlimited" supply of Coke and snacks contributed to their "interest". ;)

At any rate, I snapped a bunch of pictures...16 that will be in this thread...so here they are:
Alan holds court with some in attendance
A view "north" towards the "heavy machinery" area
The bench area is bright and well suited to the classroom situation as well as for individual work...lots of space
SMC-ers Bill Grumbine and Craig Feuerzeig converse. "Everyone" knows Bill (especially in the turning forum) and Craig is the inventor of the Bow Clamp (http://www.bowclamp.com/) system...make a "good caul" and visit his manufacturer's forum here at SMC to learn more and ask questions :D
Well known finishing expert Jeff Jewitt, who is currently teaching a course at the school and is also an SMC member, talks with some of the open house visitors near the front of the teaching area

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 11:08 AM
More Pictures:

Alan has a very "stout" jointer available for folks working in the shop...
...and likewise with the planer. Big iron!
Anastasiya and Alesya explain to Mario Rodriguez the finer points of Alan's Newport Kneehole Desk
Mr Grumbine has a little fun as Anastasiya shoots a few pictures of Bill, Craig and I
The open bar was quite popular with SOME people...

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Pictures continued...

Alan and Mario speak to the crowd about the upcoming courses and introduce the door prize drawing featuring some nice mortise chisels and rasps
Mr Grumbine was a winner! And he chose a very lethal looking 1/2" mortise chisel...
Anastasiya got to pick a ticket...
...as did Alesya
I am thinking that the Coca Cola is a little strong...or the figure of the lacewood table top is a bit mesmerizing for two girls not wearing their glasses...

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Last, but not least...

the "special guests" leave the event in their limo after fording the ranks of the paparazzi...------
Seriously, I was very pleased that the girls behaved so well. We wouldn't have been able to do this even a month ago.

As to Alan's facility...yum! Plan on taking some courses here!

Richard Wolf
03-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Great pictures and post Jim, looks like it was fun.

Richard

tod evans
03-12-2006, 11:31 AM
glad ya`ll had a good time.

Dan Oliphant
03-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Great pictures Jim, congratulations to Mr. Turner on what appears to be a fantastic rollout to his school.

Bruce Page
03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Jim, thanks for the great pictures. It looks like Anastasiya and Alesya had a great time as well. Alan has put together a great looking place that I’m sure we’ll be reading about in WW magazines to come!

Mark Singer
03-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Excellent Pics....great looking place!

Steve Clardy
03-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Looks great. Musta been fun!!!

Wes Bischel
03-12-2006, 1:03 PM
Wow, looks like we missed a great open house! Thanks for the pictures Jim. And a big thanks to Alan for holding the open house! (even though I wasn't able to attend - it's the thought that counts!)

I guess I was mesmerized by the lacewood top as well - it took a second or two to see the affect of the Coke!:D :D

Wes

John D Watson
03-12-2006, 1:44 PM
Thanks for sharing Jim. It looks like a good time was had by all, and that jointer, What a beast.

Corvin Alstot
03-12-2006, 3:06 PM
Great looking workshop / facility.
I looked at the PFW web site and wished I lived closer. I need to attend a few of those courses, . . . maybe in the future.

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 3:46 PM
I really didn't talk a lot about the facility in the picture posts as I wanted to get them up and in order before comments started coming in.

This space is really wonderful. It retains the "feel" of old-time industrial with the high ceilings, "stout" support posts, comfortable floor and large windows. (A great skylight centrally located, too...) The electricals look first rate--Alan obviously put a bit of time and money into the planning and execution of the same. Further...the word "space" is most appropriate. There is a lot of it and it makes you feel like you could literally build almost anything in that shop...yet there is also the intimacy of each workstation or bench.

I'm sorry I forgot to take a good shot of the "monster" bandsaw...it's a big-un' and I can only imagine what is possible with such a machine!

The other thing I'm sorry about is that I didn't have a chance to speak with the guitar builder (http://www.victorbaker.com/) who is for the moment working at the far end of the "big room". His work is incredible and you wouldn't believe the figured stock in his racks. But he was actually working on a body and had head-phones on, so I chose not to bother him.

Dan Forman
03-12-2006, 4:33 PM
Wish I could have been there, this is the next best thing. Thanks for posting the pics.

Dan

Reg Mitchell
03-12-2006, 4:35 PM
Thanks for the pictures Jim....although I was invited I didn't attend. I will be dropping by next weekend however to see the shop while Alan it teaching. He was gratious enought to extend the invite since I would be in his area to pick up a machine next weekend......:)

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 4:48 PM
Reg, you'll really enjoy your visit with Alan at the shop! I doubt I can get away or I'd venture down to meet you, too...'doesn't look like I'm going to get into my own shop this weekend at this point.

Reg Mitchell
03-12-2006, 5:00 PM
I wish I had more time to visit some of the creekers in that area since I will be there. But this is a up and back trip......but Vick wants to come up this summer for a bit so It might be possable to get together with a few of you and yack a bit while she's looking and shopping....:)

Carl Eyman
03-12-2006, 6:02 PM
Alan, I'd love to attend! After you pick up Mr. Eyman in Louisiana, swing the Lear over to Albuquerque and pick me up.

Wish I were closer...

This was Bruce's post. We both spent the day standing at the end of the runway waiting for the Lear.
Well, better luck next time, I guess

Mark Stutz
03-12-2006, 6:56 PM
Looks like it was a great event! That is really a great space, and those student benches look fantastic!

Sure I wish I lived closer!

Alan Turner
03-12-2006, 8:30 PM
Jim,
Thanks for coming. Meeting your daughters was a special treat. They were delightful in all respects, and obviously charming. Their smiles were infectious.

And, thanks for being the official SMC photographer. I was so tired I was afraid to have a beer or I would have fallen asleep. There was a huge push at the end to get the shop ready for the first class. I think I was able to start on the shop construction in about mid to late October as we needed to complete rewire the electrical distribution on both the two phase and the three phase side, and all of that had await the new roof, which had to await the replacement roof decking, etc., etc., . . .

Well, to say the least, I was flat out pooped. I did not get the tail vises on the 10 student benches completely finished, but close enough to use for the French polishing segment of Jeff Jewitt's course. Also did not get a chance remount the Emmert on the back bench, and a million other smallish details.

There were a few glitches, but what made it all possible was LOMY, my bride Paige, who is shown on the far left side of the third pix of Jim's #! post. She did the whole party thing, and didn't complain even once to me not having taken a day off since Christmas. I have been an absentee husband, to be sure.

Craig stopped by, came cauling, and PFW is now the proud owner of a full set of Bow Clamps, and we are anxious to put them to work.

Bill Grumbine was one of the students at the Jeff Jewitt class, and it is always a pleasure to see him. I met a number of Creekers from all over, to be sure. Students were from Canada, Mass, Conn., Va., and elsewhere. Lou Sansone and Bill Simmeth stopped in to check out the old iron.

Just a great weekend, but now I need a bit of shuteye.

Thanks to all my friends, old and new, for such a wonderful kickoff.

Per Swenson
03-12-2006, 8:42 PM
Alan,

Looks great!

Jim, thanks for the photos

Darn nice.

Per

Mike Cutler
03-12-2006, 9:04 PM
Well done Alan, and Jim. It looks as if everyone was having a great time, and the girls were adorable.

One question. I had read a number of articles on the net a few years back by a Mr Mario Rodriquez of NYC. Is this Mario Rodriquez the same person? If so, he is a very talented woodworker from what I learned of him off the 'net.

Good luck in everything Alan. It really looks great.

Rob Will
03-12-2006, 9:11 PM
More Pictures:

Alan has a very "stout" jointer available for folks working in the shop...
...and likewise with the planer. Big iron!
The open bar was quite popular with SOME people...

Jim, you seem to have substituted a picture of an AIRCRAFT CARRIER in place of Alan's jointer!!!!.

How big is the runway?

Rob

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 9:20 PM
One question. I had read a number of articles on the net a few years back by a Mr Mario Rodriquez of NYC. Is this Mario Rodriquez the same person? If so, he is a very talented woodworker from what I learned of him off the 'net.
Yup...you'll often see him in the mags. He's a master!

Oh, there were a couple other 'Creekers there that I shook hands with, but unfortunately, my CRS disease is being stubborn and the names, well...you know who you are. Sorry about the lack of memory, but thanks for the introductions! I love meeting other woodworkers, especially those that are part of this online community. I know Alan does, too. Perhaps you'll sign up for one of his courses and get to know him even better... ;)

Dave Anderson NH
03-12-2006, 9:43 PM
It looks like it was a great event. I wish I had been able to attend, but another committment kept me away. Having already seen the facility partially finished in January, I knew it would soon be ready. Now Alan can slow his pace to one slightly subsonic and maybe even get some time to spend with Paige. You folks in the Philly and DE, NJ, eastern PA area have one fantastic resource available to you now. Congratulations Alan.

Bill Simmeth
03-12-2006, 9:52 PM
Hats off to Alan! I just returned from a terrific weekend in Philly, attending the inaugural class at Alan's Philadelphia Furniture Workshop. Alan is assembling a terrific facility stocked with fun "toys", many of them classic old iron pieces in fantastic condition. Jeff Jewitt taught a terrific two-day class on finishing. The highlight was learning the "French Polish" method of finishing and leaving with a piece of mahogony ply that we each practiced on.

It was a pleasure to meet Alan (and his infamous kneehole desk). He's a truly nice, sincere person and a most gracious host. It was also great to meet and learn first-hand from Jeff. He's a walking encyclopedia on the subject of finishing wood. Meeting Mario and seeing some of his work was also a pleasure. Then there was Bill Grumbine and his bowls! Terrific stuff. I also got to meet Lou Sansone. Since he and I share an interest in machinery it was especially nice to get to chat some with him. I also met some great Creekers, Larry Fox and Steve Evans .

In all, it was a great time. I wish Alan all the best in this venture. He certainly is pouring his heart into it!

Jason Tuinstra
03-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Jim, thanks for the great pics of this wonderful event!!!

Alan - major congrats! I trust that this will be a blessing to you and yours as I'm sure it will be a labor of love. I'm truly happy for you as you begin this new chapter of your life.

Jerry Olexa
03-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Allan, CONGRATS and I'm sure your new venture will do well... Jim. Thanks for the pics. I think your girls enjoyed the day.

Steve Evans
03-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Well I made it back home after my little commute down to Philly. Knocked 20 minutes off the drive even with all the nice state troopers on the interstate. Had a great time, and learned a ton from Jeff. Alan has a nice setup already, and it looks like it only going to get nicer. Great setup for courses. It was great to meet some names that I see on here, Bill Simmeth, Lou Sansone, and Bill Grumbine. Lou gave a great, albeit very condensed version of why he loves old iron. Definitely worth the drive. Now Alan, go get some sleep.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-13-2006, 1:21 AM
Thanks for the report, Jim.
I can't wait to see it in MAy, when I'm in Philly.

Bruce

Pete Harbin
03-13-2006, 1:23 AM
Congrats Alan! And thanks for all the great pics Jim! Looks like everyone had a wonderful time and that Alan's school will be off to a winning start. Too bad I'm so far away! :(

Pete

Matt Gutberlet
03-13-2006, 9:20 AM
First time poster, just chiming in to say how much I enjoyed the weekend at Alan's new studio. A great weekend class, at a great facility, with great fellow students... can't ask for much more.

Jim Becker
03-13-2006, 9:36 AM
First time poster, just chiming in to say how much I enjoyed the weekend at Alan's new studio. A great weekend class, at a great facility, with great fellow students... can't ask for much more.

Welcome to SMC, Matt!! 'Glad you had a terrific time in the class...quite an opportunity to learn from a true master!

John Stevens
03-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the pics, Jim. Unfortunately I couldn't attend, but at least I can enjoy the pictures. To say that Alan's new workshop is impressive has got to be the understatement of the year. What an amazing accomplishment.

Todd Woodward
03-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Congratulations Alan, I wish I couold have come to the opening. Hopefully I'll be able to come over the bridge to a class at some point this fall or winter. It looks like everyone had a lot of fun. How big is that jointer anyway?
Matt, Welcome to the forum. Where do you live?

Alan Turner
03-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Todd,
That is a 20" Oliver from the early 1960's. FYI, the tools at the shop are described on the school's website. Stop by PFW if you would like. I enjoy giving tours. Just call me first to be sure I am there.

lou sansone
03-13-2006, 5:02 PM
Hats off to Alan! I just returned from a terrific weekend in Philly, attending the inaugural class at Alan's Philadelphia Furniture Workshop. Alan is assembling a terrific facility stocked with fun "toys", many of them classic old iron pieces in fantastic condition. Jeff Jewitt taught a terrific two-day class on finishing. The highlight was learning the "French Polish" method of finishing and leaving with a piece of mahogany ply that we each practiced on.

It was a pleasure to meet Alan (and his infamous knee hole desk). He's a truly nice, sincere person and a most gracious host. It was also great to meet and learn first-hand from Jeff. He's a walking encyclopedia on the subject of finishing wood. Meeting Mario and seeing some of his work was also a pleasure. Then there was Bill Grumbine and his bowls! Terrific stuff. I also got to meet Lou Sansone. Since he and I share an interest in machinery it was especially nice to get to chat some with him. I also met some great Creekers, Larry Fox and Steve Evans .

In all, it was a great time. I wish Alan all the best in this venture. He certainly is pouring his heart into it!

well I also just got back today and as others have said.... " what a great weekend" It was great to meet the other great creekers. what a nice bunch of guys. The only down side was I wasn't able to stick around to meet Jim Becker, which I really wanted to, but I am sure it won't be the last class I take.

Hats off to Alan who has the vision to bring top tier artists / Wood workers to this school. just can't say enough good things about it. I hope to make it an annual event.

regards
Lou