PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #35 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-12-2006, 7:57 AM
Friday March 10th, 2006

Yeah, I know this isn't Friday. It's Sunday. While the process at the house is kind of like watching paint dry or grass grow [not sure about that this year], the taping and mudding is done. The guys finished up Friday by sanding so the walls and ceiling are ready for the texture coat. 33690
Going down to the basement.

All the snow is gone now. Been in the 50's the last few days. Now it's just a big mud pit.

We went out yesterday and got some of the light fixtures and ceiling fans we will need. Still need two ceiling fans and a couple more light fixtures. We found ones we will be happy with, I think. Trying to stay with energy efficient fixtures [flourscents] and find stylish items is tough. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places, or maybe the price is prohibitive.

We also need to get towel bars and TP holders. I haven't seen anything I like so far. I have a picture in my head of what I want, just haven't seen it yet.

Going to start doing that basement wall tomorrow. It will get the full treatment of the UGL product line of products to prevent water from getting through the block. Then the GC will frame in the wall in some special way to help prevent said wall from collapsing. As you may recall this is the wall that is bowed. I don't think we'd ever have any problem with it, but we will do some preventative measures to help insure just such an incident.

Now I wish we could get some of the grading done so we can at least get the deck built. Right now even if the interior was complete, we couldn't move in as we have no way of getting furniture into the house. I guess all in due time.

We are getting closer each day. I'm really getting antsy to start the process of moving in.

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Karl, on the lighting, there are a whole bunch of new offerings in Florescent bulbs that will fit in "regular" fixtures. I've converted most of my house at this point...largely because two certain young ladies don't get the "turn off the lights" idea too clearly. I even have 100w equivalents on our nightstands and they are really good for reading. My outside floods are also florescent and other than the "warm up" time when it's cold out, they are brighter than the previous halogens I was using and will last magnitudes longer.

Jerry Olexa
03-12-2006, 6:52 PM
Karl: I like the bay window and the relaxing view. Good place for your table saw.:)