PDA

View Full Version : Found my truck

Bobby Hatfield
08-07-2003, 8:05 PM
I may have found my truck for towing an RV I plan on finding. Did I do this right, get the truck and then the RV ? I suspect that whatever order you find them is ok. I had to go with used equipment for cheap sake, the truck is, Ford (of course) 1999, F-350 Crew Cab, Power Stroke w/turbo, standard trans 5+OD, single rear wheel, short bed. It only has 97000 miles and looks to be well cared for, now if the deal just goes through the home banker, (LOML), the money bank already ok'ed the deal, that's what you get for paying your bills, way too much credit. Anyone on the creek do any RV'ing or have exp with that truck ?

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-07-2003, 8:56 PM
Bobby, it sounds good to me! I had my Son, Chris, take a look at the info. you posted, and he said you have found a towing MACHINE! He knows Ford Trucks, he drives a Ford Lightning, and he is a bona fide Ford Truck NUT! ;) He likes the combination you have found for towing........says you couldn't have done better if you ordered a new one. F-350 Super Duty, Turbo Diesel, 5 speed O.D. and single rear axle is where it's at for towing. According to Chris, they have very little trouble with the Turbo Diesel, and they will run forever when properly maintained. The Dually F-350's are a little much, unless you are towing about the maximum weight almost daily. For occasional towing of a large RV, you have a great truck. He also likes the former generation Diesel, like you have, over the new configuration. The reports of problems with the new Diesel are over exaggerated, although they have had some problems, like you do with any new design. So, it sounds like you have a winner for towing your RV..........tons of torque, good power, proven, reliable Transmission, and suspension to spare...........all in all, great truck. It should serve you well.............good luck on the search for the new "Home on Wheels". I would like to see a picture of the Rig when you get everything together. CONGRATULATIONS! :D

John Christiansen
08-07-2003, 9:07 PM
Anyone on the creek do any RV'ing or have exp with that truck ?

Bobby,

I don't know anything about your truck. But I have a short bed Chevy, and, if you have in mind looking at fifth wheels as your choice in RV's, Then I will simply relay what I have been told by two seperate RV dealers, when I went asking around about fifth wheels.

Newer fifth wheel manufacturers have taken into consideration the prevalence of extended cab, short bed pickups today and started to compensate for a problem experienced with older fifth wheels.

With the pivot post properly located over the axle where it belongs, forward overhang of the RV was sometimes a problem with sharp turning and especially backing up. When the vehicle was turned too sharply sometimes contact was made with the rear cab window by the leading edge of the fifth wheel.

Just something to consider and ask about if you go shopping for a fifth wheel.

Bobby Hatfield
08-07-2003, 9:55 PM
Bobby, it sounds good to me! I had my Son, Chris, take a look at the info. you posted, and he said you have found a towing MACHINE! He knows Ford Trucks, he drives a Ford Lightning, and he is a bona fide Ford Truck NUT! ;) He likes the combination you have found for towing........says you couldn't have done better if you ordered a new one. F-350 Super Duty, Turbo Diesel, 5 speed O.D. and single rear axle is where it's at for towing. According to Chris, they have very little trouble with the Turbo Diesel, and they will run forever when properly maintained. The Dually F-350's are a little much, unless you are towing about the maximum weight almost daily. For occasional towing of a large RV, you have a great truck. He also likes the former generation Diesel, like you have, over the new configuration. The reports of problems with the new Diesel are over exaggerated, although they have had some problems, like you do with any new design. So, it sounds like you have a winner for towing your RV..........tons of torque, good power, proven, reliable Transmission, and suspension to spare...........all in all, great truck. It should serve you well.............good luck on the search for the new "Home on Wheels". I would like to see a picture of the Rig when you get everything together. CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Thanks Kevin, I don't like clutches and shifts to well but for the price and fuel savings I can live with it. I just have to get used to it again, the price is under the loan value too, must be cause its a Lariat, leather seats and all.

Bart Leetch
08-07-2003, 10:01 PM
For towing down the road the short be may be ok for 5th wheels. They do make a sliding 5th wheel so when you get ready to back or maneuver your 5th wheel you just slide the 5th wheel back & re-pin it this moves the front of your trailer back far enough the it won't contact the cab.

Bobby Hatfield
08-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Bobby,

I don't know anything about your truck. But I have a short bed Chevy, and, if you have in mind looking at fifth wheels as your choice in RV's, Then I will simply relay what I have been told by two seperate RV dealers, when I went asking around about fifth wheels.

Newer fifth wheel manufacturers have taken into consideration the prevalence of extended cab, short bed pickups today and started to compensate for a problem experienced with older fifth wheels.

With the pivot post properly located over the axle where it belongs, forward overhang of the RV was sometimes a problem with sharp turning and especially backing up. When the vehicle was turned too sharply sometimes contact was made with the rear cab window by the leading edge of the fifth wheel.

Just something to consider and ask about if you go shopping for a fifth wheel.

Yeah John, I heard the same thing and read about it happening to a few guys on a RV message board, I also read someone said that a hitch for that very thing was being made so I'll be checking it out.

Howard Barlow
08-07-2003, 10:48 PM
I just had to rebuild my starter on my '97 F250. With 183,000 miles, it's the first work I've done on it. You'll love it.

LOML asked, when I brought it home new, "Why is it making that noise?"

"It's a diesel."

"How long is it going to do that?"

"Till I turn it off or sell it."

Bobby Hatfield
08-08-2003, 7:07 PM
I just had to rebuild my starter on my '97 F250. With 183,000 miles, it's the first work I've done on it. You'll love it.

LOML asked, when I brought it home new, "Why is it making that noise?"

"It's a diesel."

"How long is it going to do that?"

"Till I turn it off or sell it."

Howard I tricked my wife about the sound, I shut it off quick in the driveway when I brought it home. I had her check it out all over and helped her inside and shut the door before I started it, turned on the AC full blast real quick and off down the road we went, for a short drive. She didn't really say anything about the noise except that it was not as loud as some she had heard going down the street, I explained about the sound deadning insulation. Still working on financing.