PDA

View Full Version : cabinet dimensions from rough carpentry

Bob Cooper
03-11-2006, 8:51 PM
Building a house and kitchen cabinets. The rough framing is in progress. I'm trying to determine how far i can run my cabinets.

How far from the rough openning of a door should i stop my cabinets? Assume the following

2 x 6 molding around the door (we may do 2x4 or 2x6)
i'll have crown molding on the top cabinets but i'm not that concerned if the crown goes over the door framing (8' door and 9' ceilings). So i'll probably use ~5" crown
I'm not totally sure what counter but pretty sure it'll be tile with some kind of bullnose treatment -- maybe 1" overhang i'd guess.My thoughts are 2" (overly conservative overhang) + gap (?3") + framing (5.5") = 10.5" <-- but maybe this is too conservative. The closer i can get to this door the larger my last cabinet can be (4 drawers) so i don't want to be tooooo conservative.

Thoughts?

Chris Rosenberger
03-12-2006, 1:53 AM
Bob you can leave whatever space you want. You can leave just enough space so the counter top overhang just misses the door trim. That would get you the largest cabinet.

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 10:08 AM
You'll have to estimate as best you can for dealing with the door opening issue if you have no flexibility on the other end of the row. If you go too long, you'll have to narrow the door trim after the fact and that can look a little weird in some cases...so it's better to be conservative and make the cabinet run a half-inch or so shorter than you think you need. IMHO, of course.

For enclosed spaces, build your cabinet just a little shy of what you project your actual width to be and make the face frame wider so it can be scribed to fit the space. If you're using Euro style cabinets without face frames, you do the same and scribe a filler piece on either side to mate with the space exactly.

Steve Clardy
03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I usually leave 1-2". Gotta have a safe zone.