PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Needed

Dick Parr
03-11-2006, 6:35 PM
I'm looking for a volunteer in west Knoxville to come over and help me put together my new toy, I mean tool.:D Since it was suppose to rain today my lovely wife told me to go up to Woodcraft and get the Performax 16-32 while it was on sale.:D Little did I know that when I got home she had plans, the weather forecast had changed on me.:eek:

The sander is still in the boxes because when I got home with it, she wanted to go out and power-wash the exterior walls of the house and the shop since it was not going to rain and it was almost 80 degrees out.:(

So if there is anyone that wants to come over and help me lift the sander onto the stand after I get it put together, I'll buy lunch.

More pictures after I get it together and running. I want to thank all those that commented on my questions about a drum sander.

Thanks for looking

Bruce Page
03-11-2006, 6:48 PM
Dick, if you can get Alan to swing by with his Lear-Jet I'd be happy to help.

Congrats on the new, extremely important ...tool. :D

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2006, 7:42 PM
Dick, if you can get Alan to swing by with his Lear-Jet I'd be happy to help.

Congrats on the new, extremely important ...tool. :D

I hear ya Bruce....ya'll just stop by here, airport for Lear's just 6 miles from my house. Pick me up and I'll be glad to go help.:rolleyes: :D

Mike Cutler
03-11-2006, 7:51 PM
Dick. I'd love to help ya', but the drive would be a bit much from CT.

It's good that you are looking for help. I have that same sander and it is kinda heavy for one guy, and a bit awkward.
One tip. don't tighten all of the stand bolts all the way, until you have the sander on top and bolted down to the frame. Get the stand bolts snug, just not tight. The four bolts that bolt the sander to the stand will pull the whole thing square.
Did you get a caster kit for it?

Jason Tuinstra
03-11-2006, 8:10 PM
Dick, congrats on the new sander. I use mine quite a bit. Dialing it in can be a chore, but I'm sure you'll do just fine. Enjoy!

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 8:53 PM
Nice unit you got there, Dick. Got the same one myself a while back.

Mike's advice about the stand bolting is dead on.

I put mine on casters from the borg. About a quarter of the cost that Woodcraft wanted for the "specially configured set" they sell with the machine.

Warning - The paper is pricey and destroys itself with heavy cuts. Solution is multiple light passes. Did I say Light? I meant LIGHT.

Mike Evertsen
03-11-2006, 9:07 PM
we might be passing thru there in Aug. be glad to stop and give you a hand:D

Chris Barton
03-12-2006, 9:30 AM
Hi Dick,

I am passing thru on Tuesday and would be happy to give you a hand. I have the 22/44; you will like this machine.

Anthony Anderson
03-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Dick,

Sorry I can't stop by and help as I am two or three states away. But congrats on the sander. I think you will like it as well. I just bought the 22-44 and I used it on Friday for the first time. I missed your first post about the sander, so I will try to offer my take on what I think of mine.

Getting the belt tracking adjusted correctly was kind of a pain in the @#$, but I think I got it now. There are two grooves under the conveyor platform (one on each side) that the conveyor belt rides in. The belt can look fine from top, but be bunched up on one side when looking at the conveyor belt from underneath the conveyor platform. If this would have went on for a while I'm sure that this would have caused the belt to tear. I also wish the conveyor speed was faster, but you can't have everything.

Other than that I like the sander. Definitely get someone to give you a hand. I managed to lift mine on to the base, but it was really heavy. I bought a box of 100 grit and a box of 120 grit which I think will give me 13 wraps from each box. Wrapping was pretty easy, and didn't take long at all once I got the hang of it. I used the 120 grit on Friday, and it was surprisingly pretty effective. I plan to finish off with a orbital sander starting with 150. I never bought any more coarse sandpaper because I never plan to use it as a planer. I think these two grits are perfect.

Use the belt that originally came on the machine to cut the belts from the box. IOW, don't rely on the markings on the back of the belt material to cut new belts. Also, I built a mobile cart for mine, which will eventually have drawers, and it works great. I needed something like this because my shop is small and every bit of room has to have a function. HTH, and congrats again. Regards, Bill

Tyler Howell
03-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Careful Dick ,
It (as you already know) is a heavy one. My crew still curse me everytime the see it.:o
Congrats!