PDA

View Full Version : 2 new turnings: Leopardwood & Madhong

Chip Sutherland
03-11-2006, 5:53 PM
Both came from CurlyWoods. I have NO IDEA what Madhong was but it was interesting looking. I bought a retangular block of it. You can see the sister hunk that'll be turned another time. A fair amount of thin CA was used to stabilize some of the holes. Used my gooseneck Hollowmaster on this....had to hang on for dear life for half of the hollowing out. I intended the shape to be a circle but I need to practice my left hand gouge work some more. Don't know if this qualifies as a hollow form since the mouth is so wide but that's what it took to get the gooseneck inside. I'll have to finish the foot another time. My Grumbine compression chuck's opening is too big. I'll have to cut another 'plate' with a smaller diameter. This piece is going to soak up danish oil for now. Time spent: ~5.5 hrs.
Size is H 3 3/4" x W 4 7/8"

The leopardwood was an impulse buy. It started like the background block. Stuff is very hard and dry. Had some tear out problems but resolved it with a variety of techniques. This was a fun quick piece taking about 2.5 hrs from start to finish including time taken to empty the groceries from the LOML's van. Finish is danish oil. Size is: H 1 5/8" x W 6 5/8".

Dick Parr
03-11-2006, 5:58 PM
Those are both great looking turnings Chip, I really like the leopard-wood. I would consider that a HF. Nice job on both.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2006, 6:25 PM
Chip those are great looking bowls. Nice work. I like both of them.

Rich Stewart
03-11-2006, 8:31 PM
Whoooooey!! Dats nice. I keep trying to make a bowl shaped like that and they keep turning out more cereal bowlish looking. I get cuttin' and I'm afraid I'll go through the bottom .... Anyway, Great job on both.

Ernie Nyvall
03-11-2006, 8:59 PM
Wow Chip. Good work. Both are nice looking wood too.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 9:03 PM
Great effort on both of them Chip. I like!

Sure! That's a HF. I've always understood that if the opening is less than the girth of the piece it qualifies. But that is highly subjective. If I'm not mistaken, the AAW has intentionally chosen to not define a HF so as to keep the playing field wide open during turning competitions.

Don Orr
03-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Nice job on some very interesting wood.

Curt Fuller
03-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Those are both woods that I've never heard of. They're both nice and you did a great job with them. That Madhong stuff looks especially tough to turn.