PDA

View Full Version : Day 3

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 4:40 PM
Ok, this seemed like a good idea at the time, but here's everybody's chance to tell me why it isn't. As part of my eternal quest to reduce tool footprint in the garage, I'm mounting the grinder on the lathe cabinet:

The bad news (so far):

1. When I use the lathe, the grinder will get dirty too. Not sure how big a deal that is: contrary to expectations, the chips seem to end up in a compact pile right around my feet rather than just spraying randomly.

2. I can't use the Vari-jig on the right-hand wheel: the bar on the V-rest won't go in far enough without hitting the lathe motor. I switched the wheels on the theory that the 120-grit will get most of the usage for the Vari-jig...on the left, the bar slides through the "hole" in the base of the lathe.

The good news: the whole thing takes a whole whopping 4 sqft, and all of the turning stuff is in one movable chunk, ready to deploy. And if I really need to move the grinder, those 4 bolts go into T-nuts, takes under a minute to pull the whole grider platform off the cabinet completely.

Other news: I've had my first turning-related injury. No, don't panic: I got done drilling the holes for the lathe and grinder mounting bolts and started to remove the bit. Truly amazing how hot a 3/8" Forstner bit can get after just 8 holes...waiting to see if the thumb and fingertip blister.:eek:

John Hart
03-11-2006, 4:47 PM
Ya know Lee...Just looking at it, it doesn't look to be that bad of a layout. An easily removable shroud might be in order....but as long as it doesn't get in the way....

I have a wall about the same distance by the way.

Heal quickly!!

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 5:31 PM
Lee - 'Nuther great idea and here's a 'nuther concern. I worry that one day when you're trying to do the inside rim of a bowl that the stupid end of the gouge will bonk into the back of the grinder. Then again, you might be able to get a way with a shorter gouge.

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 5:39 PM
Lee - 'Nuther great idea and here's a 'nuther concern. I worry that one day when you're trying to do the inside rim of a bowl that the stupid end of the gouge will bonk into the back of the grinder. Then again, you might be able to get a way with a shorter gouge.I'm kinda thinking that by the time I get to that point, I'll have replaced those bolts with star knobs to make it even faster to remove the grinder. Would have done that already, but the ones I have in my "T-track kit" aren't long enough.

Dick Parr
03-11-2006, 5:52 PM
Looks good Lee. The only concern I would have with this set-up is that after some time you will be getting metal grinding dust in the motor of the Jet lathe. Not sure how much that affect the motor after some time.:confused:

Glad to see you are having fun with your new toy.

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 5:57 PM
The only concern I would have with this set-up is that after some time you will be getting metal grinding dust in the motor of the Jet lathe. Not sure how much that affect the motor after some time.Hadn't even thought of that. When I was using the grinder over on the bench, the dust all seemed to go forward and down, but I wasn't paying that close attention to it. Should be pretty easy to spot on that white surface though.

I'm starting to like John's suggestion of putting a partial shroud around the grinder...gonna let that idea perk for awhile.

Pete Simmons
03-11-2006, 6:05 PM
Watch out for those hot metal chips going into a nice pile of saw dust.

I saw a manual version of this setup trying to be used on an island on Survivor. At the time I did not think they were trying to sharpen the stick!!!

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 6:10 PM
Watch out for those hot metal chips going into a nice pile of saw dust.

I saw a manual version of this setup trying to be used on an island on Survivor. At the time I did not think they were trying to sharpen the stick!!!Noted. Although I suspect I need to watch out for that pretty much anywhere I put the grinder.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2006, 6:33 PM
Lee if you leave it there I would definately put up a shroud. I had my grinder just to the left of my lathe figuring that it would be handy to just turn and sharpen. I can tell you from experience don't let any sparks get into the dust or chips. I moved my grinder across the shop which is only a couple of steps and I like it there much better.

Ernie Nyvall
03-11-2006, 9:16 PM
Lee, one other point is that when you rough out the inside of a bowl, the chips do fly in back of the lathe... at least they do when I rough one out.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 9:23 PM
Lee, one other point is that when you rough out the inside of a bowl, the chips do fly in back of the lathe... at least they do when I rough one out.:rolleyes: Good to know...haven't done any "inside" stuff yet.

Some of the stuff I'd seen here made me think that any application of tool to wood on a lathe made chips fly fast and far in pretty much every available direction. So it was a little surprising how "well-behaved" the debris was, almost to the point of making me wonder what I was doing wrong.:p

Gary DeWitt
03-11-2006, 9:38 PM
Have you turned any green, wet wood yet? Chips fly furthur for some reason.

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Lee - The shavings for centerwork pretty much end up at your feet.

But when doing facework they will indeed go where ever the gouge directs them.

And when you're doing hollow forms they pretty much stay put; until you blow 'em out, that is.