PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnail Practice

Maurice Metzger
03-11-2006, 2:16 PM
I saw this technique of using a rabbet and block plane to cut a thumbnail profile in an article by Mike Dunbar in the book "Traditional Projects". I had a go at it for practice, as I want to use it for a project. It was a lot of fun. Here's some photos (thumbnails of the thumbnail). Wood was No. 2 pine.

Cutting the rabbet was the easy part, although I didn't take enough care to avoid having the depth stop make an impression on this soft wood. Also my cut wound up going through a small knot.

Followed up with the block plane. The hard part was knowing when to stop. I'd get pretty good rounding, but trying for something better would give me a flat spot. Also, the sacrificial blocks should have been wider to get good purchase with the sole before getting to the workpiece.

Final results. Quite fun, lots of curly shavings.

LATER...

Some afterthoughts - next time I try this I'll cut the profile into cardboard and use that to check up on the various areas. I'll also try a more systematic approach to the rounding, drawing lines for intermediate chamfers, somewhat like the way boatbuilders round a spar.

- Maurice

Maurice Metzger
03-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Parting shot...

Steve Clardy
03-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Looks great!!

Maurice Metzger
03-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Looks great!!

Thanks Steve! It would have been a lot easier if I had a Revonic 5.5 :) ...

Maurice

Steve Clardy
03-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Yea. Its about done. Fixing a couple of spots on the horn of the tote thats missing. Sharpen up the blade, and it will be done.
This hand tool stuff is getting addictive!!!

Alan DuBoff
03-12-2006, 2:36 PM
Maurice, very nice!

This might be something I incorporate into a project, and could use the 192 I got recentely for that if I wanted.:D Thanks again, was playing with it last night. I'm gonna have to try this with my block plane. Since I don't have any moulding planes, this looks like a viable alternative.

Thanks for sharing.

Maurice Metzger
03-12-2006, 5:50 PM
Thanks Alan! Yes, no molding planes for me, at least for a while.

- Maurice

Alan Turner
03-12-2006, 8:12 PM
Maurice,
If I could offer a suggestion. Don't make your template of cardbaord; instead use 3mm baltic birch ply. A 5 x 5 sheet is about $10 or so, and since you will use it for patterns only, it will last a long time. Patterns made with BB at 3mm are pretty permanent, and can be sawn, cut with a coping saw, spokeshaved to fair a curve, and shaped with both a fine rasp and a file. Once made, save them forever and you will never have to make the same pattern twice.

Nice job, by the way.

Maurice Metzger
03-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Alan, I'll give the birch ply a try, it's lovely stuff.

BTW I saw the pictures of your open house, looked like a great time and a great learning environment.

- Maurice