PDA

View Full Version : OT: Antique console radio : How old ?

Bob Weisner
03-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi:

I bought an old console stereo system at a garage sale last year and I was wondering if anyone has any info on the company that made it.

It has a solid hardwood flip top made out of Maple . The interior has a record player that plays 33, 45 and 78 RPM records. It has a AM-FM radio and an 8-track tape player.

On the back of the console, it has the Model # T76341E
and the words: MORSE ELECTRO PRODUCTS CORP.

Any idea as to how old it is and how much it might be worth? It is in excellent condition.

Thanks,

Jim DeLaney
03-11-2006, 1:43 PM
...It has a AM-FM radio and an 8-track tape player. ...

Well, If it has an 8-track, it can't really be an antique yet. Probably made somewhere in the 70's,

Dave Richards
03-11-2006, 3:49 PM
"...can't really be an antique yet."

But it is getting close. :D

Larry Klaaren
03-11-2006, 4:51 PM
They call it "antique technology". I had one when I was in undergrad, which was before 74. I believe it was fading out about that time. I know I had tapes of the Beatles, Three Dog Night, and the Carpenters.

I never cared for them, it was too hard to queue up the song you liked.

I checked the price of 8-tracks on the net. Looks like 75 cents to a dollar unless it's Elvis or the Beatles in excellent condition. Seems like I remember a lot of bootlegging.

Larry

Joe Pelonio
03-11-2006, 6:12 PM
We had one that sounds similar by Arvin that my Dad bought new and by my age about that time I'd say it was in 1968, and the 8 tracks had been around just a few years. Unfortunately It's been my experience that these kind of "antiques" are not valuable because there were so many made and people held onto them. You might see what's selling on E-Bay and what they are getting. We have a 5' high Victrola (not electric, crank) that someone once told us was only worth $400, and a '30s tube radio with short wave, nice big wood one that he said was worth $100. Still, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it,

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I sure wish I had the old Star Raider console that my dad bought back about 1937. We listened to WLW from Cincinati and other stations. By that time there plenty of stations to tune the pre-select buttons to and get good reception. I got to do the setting of the pre-selct buttons and had it all set up by the time Dad got home that night. What a wonderful radio that was for that time. Ahhhhh. the memories.

Rob Russell
03-13-2006, 8:34 AM
I know this is semantics, but antique used to be anything more than 100 years old. Less then that and it was called "vintage".

8-track tapes were in use from the mid-60's to the late 70's. At best, your player is 40 years old.