PDA

View Full Version : Bonkers About Bonkers Contest - Entries Here

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2006, 11:17 AM
OK Folks......let's post our Bonkers in this thread.

See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32732 link for Guidelines and rough rules for getting yours done.

FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 4:48 PM
The Mark I, Mod 0 OzzyBonker (short-handled version), complete with tool marks:

Keith Burns
03-11-2006, 5:15 PM
Lee, I've got to tell you, I LOVE IT !!!!!

John Hart
03-11-2006, 5:28 PM
Alright Lee!!! I'm starting on mine right now.;)

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 5:32 PM
What it is, mostly, is that I'm hoping there's a prize for "First Entry".:cool: :p

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 5:42 PM
Way to go Lee!

What really impresses me is how you got the tool marks to align with and maintain the same dimension on center as the ridged fabric in your backdrop. Bonus Points for sure!

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 5:51 PM
What really impresses me is how you got the tool marks to align with and maintain the same dimension on center as the ridged fabric in your backdrop. Bonus Points for sure!D'oh!! That's not "ridged fabric": it's sitting on my kitchen counter, with the sun coming through the screen. Didn't even notice it when I was taking the picture. (forehead slap)

Gary Max
03-11-2006, 5:57 PM
Why make just one-----
Bonker head is Cedar and the handle is Chestnut Oak
Living out in the country you may need a bonker for many different things so you better bring the one that gets the job done.
Hope you enjoy

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 6:04 PM
Gary, I like it, but if something takes that much bonking to subdue, I'd just as soon be in a different timezone.:eek:

Oh wait...I am in a different timezone. Never mind.

Gary Max
03-11-2006, 6:12 PM
In most cases there is a shot gun close enough that the Bonker is not important but there is always that chance that a bonker will take care of the problem. You know the price of shotgun shells keeps going up.

John Hart
03-11-2006, 6:52 PM
Holy Cow Gary!! That's a B-B-Bonker!!!:eek:

John Hart
03-11-2006, 6:59 PM
This is my Erie-Lackawanna Bonker. Used to be you didn't have to bonk the fish....they were already dead. But, they cleaned up the lake so now the fish flop around and stuff....What's that all about? :confused:

Ambrosia maple...sanded to 200. Found some string for it.

Lee DeRaud
03-11-2006, 7:27 PM
There used to be a website that had a quiz where they put up a series of pictures of various...objects...and you were supposed to guess whether each was a dog toy or a marital aid.

I have no idea why I just remembered that...

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2006, 7:32 PM
Way to go Lee!

What really impresses me is how you got the tool marks to align with and maintain the same dimension on center as the ridged fabric in your backdrop. Bonus Points for sure!

You kiddin Andy???!!!! That takes a LOT OF TALENT to do what Lee did. Prolly took years to perfect the overall visual effect. :p :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2006, 7:33 PM
Gary, I like it, but if something takes that much bonking to subdue, I'd just as soon be in a different timezone.:eek:

Oh wait...I am in a different timezone. Never mind.

Lee......ROFL!!!!!!!!:D :D

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2006, 7:36 PM
This is my Erie-Lackawanna Bonker. Used to be you didn't have to bonk the fish....they were already dead. But, they cleaned up the lake so now the fish flop around and stuff....What's that all about? :confused:

Ambrosia maple...sanded to 200. Found some string for it.

you score good points there John. I really like those faint toolmarks that go across the gain at the "bidness end" of your Bonker!!!!

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 7:36 PM
You kiddin Andy???!!!! That takes a LOT OF TALENT to do what Lee did. Prolly took years to perfect the overall visual effect. :p :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're probably right. Took the screen manufacturers forever to get all the kinks worked out of the process.:cool:

Sorry, Lee. But I'm taking away my previously awarded Bonus Points. Shameful deceiver person.:p

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2006, 8:10 PM
Hey!!!!! Where's Ken Fitzgerald?????????

Don Orr
03-12-2006, 1:18 PM
Here are a few bonkers I made that hang around my shop. They are not new though. If I get time this week maybe I can Bonk out a new one.
L-R; Beech, Beech w/cherry handle, Beech. Front is a soft wood salvaged from a pallet.

(Bonk, Bonk, on the head!-from an old Star Trek episode with a bunch of kids left on their own on a planet)

doug webb
03-12-2006, 1:25 PM
[ATTACH

[/ATTACH

I had an easy time posting in the wrong place. John steered me in the right direction and I haven't been able to do anything right since then. Fourth try since then. Well, still no picture up load... Nap time

Rich Stewart
03-12-2006, 4:17 PM
Ok, here is my bonker entry. made from a piece of oak that my neighbor cut off his tree because it was dropping acorns all over the driveway. about 12 inches long and weighs like 5 pounds. Three inches in diameter. Sounded like a fruit tree shaking machine in my shed when i turned it on. That machine that i said in another post is set on 1100 is actually 1600. Sounded like the world coming to an end. Hit it real fast with a gouge to get it smoothed out and then it was fairly quiet. That first 3 minutes was pretty nerve wracking.

John Hart
03-12-2006, 4:22 PM
Well Elise didn't want to do one but Rachel wanted to make a Light Saber Bonker. She expects me to make the saber part. I'll do that.....uh......some other time.;) :D

It is Cherry by the way and sanded to 200 (She's going to paint it:eek: )

Got it round...now starting the cuts

A little sanding instruction

Nice Creeker Hat!!! (sorry for the focus)

One Cherry Light Saber Bonker

One Happy Camper

David Fried
03-12-2006, 5:38 PM
A Light Saber Bonker!!??? Well, I think Rachel has a lock on the most Futuristic Bonker catagory! Well done.

I'm considering taking up chip carving or maybe knitting.

Dave Fried

David Fried
03-13-2006, 11:37 AM
The truth is I didn't set out to make a bonker!

I did a sub-optimal :rolleyes: job of sharpening my spindle roughing gouge the first time. I took too much off the middle (bottom/center) resulting in a shape that looked like a wing back chair. This time I started by dressing the wheel and paying attention to the shape, knowing the jig would take care of the bevel. Came out great!! That is, correct shape and sharp. Whew!!

To test it out I threw a piece of scrape on the lathe. The gouge works great - better than new! Once the piece was round I couldn't just let it go to waste.;)
I even had some fun giving it a little oriental style hat.

This is a bit diminutive for a bonker at 10" long and 1/2" diameter but we do have some Pumpkin Seed fish in the lake that have a real attitude! :D

Enjoy - hope to turn a real vicious bonker later in the week.

Dave Fried

John Hart
03-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey...that looks like a stick that Raymond would like to poke with!!:)

Keith Burns
03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Here is my Bonker entry for the Bonkers Contest...

Keith Burns
03-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh crud, I just realized the rules specify a different description of bonkers. :eek: Sorry:D

Andy Hoyt
03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I dunno Keith. Looks like it's a winner in the "Useless But Unbelievably Cute" category.:D

David Fried
03-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey...that looks like a stick that Raymond would like to poke with!!:)

Yes, I'm definately going with a pointy thingy to get the Raymond vote.:eek:
Heck, I might even put an ice cream scoop on the other end to get the Hoyt vote.:p

Did ya notice the Yew log I brought home from the dump? ;)

John Hart
03-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes, I'm definately going with a pointy thingy to get the Raymond vote.:eek:
Heck, I might even put an ice cream scoop on the other end to get the Hoyt vote.:p

Did ya notice the Yew log I brought home from the dump? ;)

Make sure the Ice Cream is unbelieveably cute though.:rolleyes:

Wow..I thought the Yew log was going to be much smaller. That's a monster! Can't wait to see a bowl!

Ernie Nyvall
03-13-2006, 9:53 PM
[QUOTE=John Hart]Well Elise didn't want to do one but Rachel wanted to make a Light Saber Bonker. She expects me to make the saber part. I'll do that.....uh......some other time.;) :D

Wow, I can almost see the light thingy shooting out the end.:D That would be the best bonker wouldn't it... it would bonk, cut, and poke like a stick.:D

Ernie

Paul Douglass
03-13-2006, 9:59 PM
finished my bonker today. Wanted to try the cirle thingy. Didn't come out quite right but good enough for a bonker

David Fried
03-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Nice bonker Paul - atomic, huh?!!? Looks like it's got a rolling pin lineage - a classic bonker.

Dave Fried

Andy Hoyt
03-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Nice bonker Paul - atomic, huh?!!? L...

Yeah. "Rad"!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-14-2006, 8:45 PM
Good news is that I'm BACK IN THE SHOP. Stitches out yesterday and Doc says "sure go back, but stop being STUPID!" GREAT bedside manner!

Bad news is that I had hours and hours to research "Bonkers."

I found a little known fact! China had a type of "Bonker" as far back as 3000BC. The one that interested me was a "Three Ring" version. It was used by the Ring Master when cast members got out of line. They called it a "Flea Flicker" and as you might surmise, it was miniscule. You might even saw "Itty Bitty". I decided to use my "Bonker" entry to salute these stalward and intrepid performers.

May I present the "Itty Bitty Flea Flicker" Trophy. Made from Elm (might be Chinese, but probably American). Overall length, including the base - A little under 2". Touched up the top with 240G where I parted off the top. My first effort with rings. (Blew up one of these trying to make the handle a smaller diameter so that the rings would slide easily). Start to finish - without finishing - twelve minutes.

Thanks for lookin'. Goin' back down and work on another spindle for the cradle.

Bruce;)

John Hart
03-14-2006, 8:51 PM
Welcome Back Bruce! Figgers that someone would do an Entomological Bonker.:rolleyes: :D

Michael Stafford
03-14-2006, 9:02 PM
Welcome Back Bruce! Figgers that someone would do an Entomological Bonker.:rolleyes: :D

Say what? I am not familiar with that etymological term....;)

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 9:52 PM
And I'm not familiar with the epidemiology of either

Lee DeRaud
03-14-2006, 9:55 PM
Say what? I am not familiar with that etymological term....;)Judging by the picture, it's intended for beating feral dimes into submission.

Dale Thompson
03-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Dennis,
Does the attached qualify as a "bonker"? :confused: It is only made out of northern Wisconsin, winter-hardened Balsa so I really don't know! :cool:

I know that I promised Tyler that I would behave myself but that pesky mosquito drove me into an uncontrollable RAGE!! :o If he/she had been a bit slower, it would have been in DEEP trouble! :mad:

My problem now is: How do I get the head out of the table without breaking the handle? :confused: :)

Whatever, I'm sure that I am doing better than Andy - unless he is using his "second" face as a "bonker"! ;) :)

Dale T.

Curt Fuller
03-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, it ain't no Entomological Bonker! At least I don't think it is, is it? Tried out the new Oliver for the first time and a bonker was just the ticket, seeings as I'm still waiting for the Pony Express to deliver my Talon insert. Made out of a gnarly old piece of maple firewood. Too small for a salmon bonker, too big for any of the elusive Utah native cutthroat unless you were trying to bonk them and make patties all in one swipe.

Michael Stafford
03-15-2006, 6:22 AM
Judging by the picture, it's intended for beating feral dimes into submission.

Now that is funny. Lee you are gonna fit in real well with the rest of the turners.....:D :D :D :D :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-15-2006, 11:29 AM
All we do is unleash the "ATTITUDE" that is restrained by F........L........A.....T
work.

Bruce

Lee DeRaud
03-15-2006, 11:42 AM
All we do is unleash the "ATTITUDE" that is restrained by F........L........A.....T work.I've been told that my 'tude knows no restraint...and that was before I bought the lathe.:eek:

Be afraid...be very afraid.:cool:

Don Orr
03-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Dale, looks like you got that sucker good !!;)

Dennis Peacock
03-15-2006, 1:29 PM
do an Entomological Bonker.:rolleyes: :D

Bet ya can't say "do an Entomological Bonker" three times real fast.:p :rolleyes: :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-15-2006, 1:29 PM
Well I guess I'd better jump in here too......

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/bonker1.jpg

Sakura, still a little wet, sanded to #180, about 6" long I guess...

I had fun doing it, I got foot long plus curlies coming off :D man is that neat!

Took me about an hour, but mostly because I was sooooooo afraid of orbiting it when I was cutting off the ends :eek:

Second real turning off the lathe....

:D

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 1:52 PM
Bet ya can't say "do an Entomological Bonker" three times real fast.:p :rolleyes: :D

Heck I can't even say it once...:o

Mike Ramsey
03-15-2006, 8:29 PM
My entry is made from Mesquite, Just about time for the hordes of
skeeters to descend upon us so I thought I would turn a Skeeter
Bonker. 11 1/2" L x 4 1/2" W, real heavy! sanded with no finish.

Ernie Nyvall
03-15-2006, 8:46 PM

I don't know Dennis... it's sort of one of those words that kinda rolls off your tongue.:p

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
03-15-2006, 8:52 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Ramsey]My entry is made from Mesquite, Just about time for the hordes of
skeeters to descend upon us so I thought I would turn a Skeeter
Bonker. 11 1/2" L x 4 1/2" W, real heavy! sanded with no finish.

Mike, with the skeeters I've seen in your neck of the woods :eek: ,
are you sure that is big enough bonker? I wouldn't want to just wound one.:D

Ernie

Keith Burns
03-15-2006, 9:04 PM
Ok, i can't hide from a fun contest like this so even though I'm very busy I wanted to take time to turn an entry. I tried some pyrography for the first time and it didn't turn out very well. My bonker is made from poplar with no finish. I call this my THONG BONKER.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Lee You're really my kind of guy!

Kieth! YOU ARE REALLY REALLY B A D!:D :D :D

Bruce

John Hart
03-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh I want a Skeeter Bonker!!!! Now that's extreeeeme Entomology!!

Keith....I....I ...uh Man!!!:D

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Keith -- Nice Art Direction and Product Placement!

Saddened to see that it's not segmented. Hmmm. This means that category is still wide open.

Dennis Peacock
03-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Ok, i can't hide from a fun contest like this so even though I'm very busy I wanted to take time to turn an entry. I tried some pyrography for the first time and it didn't turn out very well. My bonker is made from poplar with no finish. I call this my THONG BONKER.

ROFL Keith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Barry Stratton
03-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Okay, I still haven't made the time to get an electrician over to finish wiring my new circuit so I can use my new lathe (GFCI and VS are NOT compatible), BUT.....I couldn't take it any longer so strung an extension cord thru the dining room, kitchen, laundry room out to the garage and produced (drum roll please) my first ever turning - I call it a NE SOCKEYE SUBDUER. While not a work of art, it is purely functional with a slightly tapered grip complete with some grooves to ensure a good grip despite the expected slime/gore build-up.

Total time with lathe running - 15 minutes
Length - 11 "
Tools used - HF starter set dull as h*ll right out of the box (note burn from "sharp" parting tool)
Sanding time - NONE
Enjoyment factor on a scale of 10 - 75 gazillion!

I'm hooked. I have freely given myself to the vortex. I have seen the light and I am here to tell you THE WORLD IS ROUND!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/CohoClonker.jpg

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2006, 1:23 AM
Hey Barry!!!! Looks really good to have no sanding done on that bonker of yours!!! Very good work there. BTW, where's your grinder to sharpen those turning tools? :confused: :D

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2006, 1:26 AM
Well I guess I'd better jump in here too......
:D

That's the spirit Stu!!!!! Very nice on the Bonker dude..!!!!:D

Vaughn McMillan
03-16-2006, 4:46 AM
...Entomological Bonker...
...etymological term...
...epidemiology... Too many big words...I think my head's gonna esplode. :eek:

- Vaughn

John Hart
03-16-2006, 6:43 AM
Dennis made me realize that I missed a couple of bonkers back there! Had to go back and review. We have a Bonker outbreak! Even Stu said he wasn't going to do one and he has been infected. Call the epidemiologist!

Hey..Congratulations on your first turning Barry!! My scroll saw is feeling very lonely and unused these days....How's yours feeling?:D

03-16-2006, 8:24 AM
Even Stu said he wasn't going to do one and he has been infected.......

Did I really say that...?

I must have been.......... Bonkers......... to say something like that.... :D

Mine will be used to "Bonk" carving tools, it is just the size to fit in the hand easily, and will "Bonk" them tools just right.... :D

Cheers!

Tyler Howell
03-16-2006, 8:33 AM
ROTFLMAO.
You guys!!!!!!:p :p

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 9:30 AM
With this latest rash of bonkers..........Glenn....our business relationship is null and void! I can see now that "Bonkers R Us" will never make it!

Nice bonkers folks.......especially to Barry! What kind of a rasp did you cut that thing off with?:eek: :D Barry....I had to wait 4 weeks for my slowspeed grinder so I could sharpen some dull tools! What a difference it makes! Great Bonker!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 11:11 AM
BTW.............when does this contest end?...........I've got an idea for a new bonker!

John Hart
03-16-2006, 11:27 AM
BTW.............when does this contest end?...........I've got an idea for a new bonker!

You have till the 19th. Where you been anyway??!!:)

Tyler Howell
03-16-2006, 11:29 AM

Is that shop done yet?????:mad:
Concentrate Ken, Focus on the prize

Barry Stratton
03-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Ken, it "ends" Sunday - get on it man. You are the one who started it all....... And for the record, I didn't use no rasp. Used one of those pointy thingies in the HF wooden box. When the mountain ash limb began to smoke, I switched over to the wifes dandelion puller:eek:

I think ALL the other tools are going to be a tad lonely and a BIG/REAL lathe is definitely in this guys future (and budget) for 2007......

This is cool.

Jim Davenport
03-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Here's my version of a bonker. It's another "Entomological Bonker".
But being a sportsman all my life, I think the bugs should have a fair chance.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Ok, now I'm taking Dennis's advice and getting my bonker(at least I think it qualifies) in. By the way this is my first LACE maker. All I did was turn and sand it a little. I needed one of these so it kills two birds with one stone. You guys were right...when the wife saw it she said she was amazed, now I have a whole list of turning "Honey Do's". Guess these are better than the other type, huh? If it needs help please do not hesitate to coach me. I'm open to any help I can get. Thanks,

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 11:53 AM
John.........last Tuesday....I had an extemely close aunt die in southern Indiana and on the same day my wife had an aunt die in central Illinois. My M-I-L wasn't taking it too well. So...I flew to southern Indiana for one funeral and couldn't drive fast enough to make the other funeral in Illinois but did go spend some time with my MIL. I just flew back in yesterday and made my stop at Woodcraft in Spokane on the way home.....See my other thread.

David Fried
03-16-2006, 12:11 PM

The Big Kahoona of Bonkers is back! It's all over now :D

Dave Fried

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 7:28 PM
Okay........here's my entry ........the OFFICIAL Idaho Salmon Bonker..........

Sanded to 400 grit......Finished with Mylands Friction Polish.....Buffed with Beal Buffing System.

Don Baer
03-16-2006, 7:34 PM
Okay........here's my entry ........the OFFICIAL Idaho Salmon Bonker..........

Sanded to 400 grit......Finished with Mylands Friction Polish.....Buffed with Beal Buffing System.

Rule violation..

I'm Bonkers about Bonkers......

Ken Fitzgerald started all this by introducing us all to "Bonkers".

Let this be FUN!!!!

No judging except by all those that enter the Bonkers about Bonkers contest.

Must be turned in 4 hours or less.

No finish to be applied, all natural wood, no stain, paint or such.

Sanding is allowed through 320 grit and no more.

Tool marks are allowed. :D

John Hart
03-16-2006, 7:46 PM
I'll have to concur with Mr. Baer. In fact, I'm a little surprised that you'd try to squeeze that in Ken. Is your lathe broken?:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 7:54 PM
Aw c'mon.........I've been gone for a week. I mean....it's kinda like the last contest....you guys ship me a lathe.....a week later you start a contest and hound me because I didn't have an entry!..........

John Hart
03-16-2006, 7:59 PM
Yeah...but, What am I supposed to say to Rachel when she's says, "Daddy...Why is that man cheating? I had to make one and I'm new at it?" or "Isn't he the same nice man that wants me to get a horse?"

You know...I can try to reason with her. After all...she's only 12. She doesn't understand your responsibilities and work schedule. It's those big blue eyes that get me the most.:o

Keith Burns
03-16-2006, 8:01 PM
Ken just ignore these other guys, they are just jealous of the beautifil bonker you have created. (Although it was not supposed to be finished) How did you do the map? And yes I am sucking up to the Master Bonker Maker:D

Don Baer
03-16-2006, 8:01 PM
Come on Ken. It only Thursday evening. Ya got plenty of time betwenn now and Sunday. BTW, what time sunday is the closing tme. I guess I'd better get busy on mine.

Dale Thompson
03-16-2006, 8:28 PM
I didn't realize that this was a CONTEST! :o I must have missed the "Rules" link also. I KNOW that I would win "hands-down" but I missed one of the rules and finished mine with some "Septic Tank Runoff". :eek: :o

I'm afraid that I will have to withdraw my entry IMMEDIATELY!! :( I would feel very badly about accepting all the cash and the 6 ft. Trophy if I had not followed the rules precisely! :rolleyes: :)

The problem is that I STILL haven't figured out how to "withdraw" my entry without breaking off the handle!? :cool: :( :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 8:35 PM
In as much as I wouldn't want to disappoint and present a less than honorable example to Rachel....I, hereby, withdraw my first entry from the contest! I'll find time to make another and if not.........so be it!

Rachel.....I think your Daddy should buy you a whole herd of horseys!

John Hart
03-16-2006, 8:36 PM
I didn't realize that this was a CONTEST! :o .....The problem is that I STILL haven't figured out how to "withdraw" my entry without breaking off the handle!? :cool: :( :)

We understand Dale. The title "Bonkers About Bonkers Contest - Entries Here" Is pretty misleading.;) We have to figure out a way to be more clear.:o

By the way...your Skeeter Bonker looks good with a TS attached to it!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 8:46 PM
Keith.........the map.....I was at an engraving shop having a little brass plate made to identify a piece of furniture I made for my wife. They had these little engraveable plastic maps of Idaho on sale for 1 dollar. I bought one and used it as template and used a ultra fine Sharpy to draw the map onto the Bonker.

Dale Thompson
03-16-2006, 8:56 PM
The title "Bonkers About Bonkers Contest - Entries Here" Is pretty misleading.;) We have to figure out a way to be more clear.:o

Jon,
youse guys cuda dun a beter weigh uv 'splanin' dis hard stuf! :mad: now! - wear i iz iz wear i iz! :o know trofy - know nuttin'! :mad: :)

Dale T.

Steve Clardy
03-16-2006, 9:04 PM
Hey!! I think ya all are bonkers.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)
And ya'll need a good bonking, so here ya go.:eek:

Curt Fuller
03-16-2006, 9:18 PM
Rule violation.. :D
What good would rules be if you couldn't break them?

Nice bonker Ken, rules or not. Your governor and soon to be sec of interior will probably want that one displayed in the capitol down in boise!

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey!! I think ya all are bonkers.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)
And ya'll need a good bonking, so here ya go.:eek:

My eyes! My eyes! Oh the pain and agony!

So Steve - is that a Pretzel Bonker or an Evil-Doer Bonker?

Steve Clardy
03-17-2006, 10:06 AM
My eyes! My eyes! Oh the pain and agony!

So Steve - is that a Pretzel Bonker or an Evil-Doer Bonker?

HaHaHA. Andy. I don't know which one it is.:confused:
I'll have to ask him next dinner meeting.:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Jeff Horton
03-17-2006, 10:56 AM
OK, it's been almost two hours and I am still fuming. :eek: I am a home Inspector, I never ever walk away from a job without completing it. Today was the first time. Between the bossy home owner and the 'Your going to do it my way' Realtor I walked. Within 10-15 minutes after getting there too!! I hate it for my clients but a guy can only take some much. If I had my bonker I would have used it on one perons and cell phone since I couldn't have reached that peron.

So you guys better watch out! I am highly motivated to make a bonker and use it on a few people!!!!! I just went down to the Station (my shop) and glued up my blank. That's 15 mintues so I have 3' 45" left to turn it in. It's going to be a fully functional and maybe well used by the contest end! Since my clients deserve the best I am making it out of Mahogany and maple.

Stay tuned! I am planning on winning this contest! :cool:

John Hart
03-17-2006, 11:00 AM
...So you guys better watch out! I am highly motivated to make a bonker and use it on a few people!!!!! I just went down to the Station (my shop) and glued up my blank. That's 15 mintues so I have 3' 45" left to turn it in. It's going to be a fully functional and maybe well used by the contest end! Since my clients deserve the best I am making it out of Mahogany and maple.

Stay tuned! I am planning on winning this contest! :cool:

So...tell us Jeff. What are you feeling? Please....sit... Tell us about your day.:)

Blake McCully
03-17-2006, 11:07 AM
a bowling pin. I decided to enter this contest for a number of reasons. The first is to show off my outstanding photography ineptitude, second to finally turn one of my bowling pins, third to see if I could successfully download pics from my cybershot to my new laptop. Gee, everything went well.

The bonker is 31/4" wide at the widest point and 8 3/4" tall. Sanded to 150, no finish. Take a look, if I can get the pics loaded.

03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
a bowling pin. I decided to enter this contest for a number of reasons. The first is to show off my outstanding photography ineptitude, second to finally turn one of my bowling pins, third to see if I could successfully download pics from my cybershot to my new laptop. Gee, everything went well.

The bonker is 31/4" wide at the widest point and 8 3/4" tall. Sanded to 150, no finish. Take a look, if I can get the pics loaded.

Me thinks it your bowling pin looks MUCH nicer undressed...... :D

Lee DeRaud
03-17-2006, 11:23 AM
a bowling pin.Was that a real wood (i.e. very old) bowling pin? The newer ones have a 1/8" or so plastic outer layer that is an absolute pig to get off, and the wood underneath doesn't look all that exciting.

(A couple shots from a .45 will remove the plastic in large chunks, but it makes the wood even less inspiring from a woodworking standpoint. DAMHIKT :eek: .)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Blake, now that's a BONKING Bonker, It's fit to bonk bonkeroos. I like it!
Stu, get your eyes back in your head.. it's a bonker not a babe. ;) Sorry, but you left the door open.

John Hart
03-17-2006, 11:30 AM
....Stu, get your eyes back in your head.. ....

Ya know..Keith Burns could turn a Thong for it!!;) :D

Keith Burns
03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Ya know..Keith Burns could turn a Thong for it!!;) :D

And maybe a bikini top:D Hey, I'm workin' on it:eek:

Dennis Peacock
03-17-2006, 12:06 PM
And maybe a bikini top:D Hey, I'm workin' on it:eek:

Oh....My......Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Colliersville, TN Local News:
Today, Mr. Keith Burns has started his own line of wood turned Thongs and Bikini Tops. Selection is varied and quality is high. Supplies are limited so call 1-KEI-THB-URNS today and get your FREE Micro-Mesh Kit for fine tuning the fit of your very own Thong and Bikini Top.!!!! Free Shipping on 6 or more. :rolleyes: :D

Andy Hoyt
03-17-2006, 1:11 PM
Blake, now that's a BONKING Bonker, It's fit to bonk bonkeroos. I like it!
Stu, get your eyes back in your head.. it's a bonker not a babe. ;) Sorry, but you left the door open.

So is this the bonking babe that Stu has gone bonkers over?34109

Blake McCully
03-17-2006, 2:42 PM
Was that a real wood (i.e. very old) bowling pin? The newer ones have a 1/8" or so plastic outer layer that is an absolute pig to get off, and the wood underneath doesn't look all that exciting.

Lee,
Don't think it's all that old, prolly a coupla years. It did have that plastic coating on but didn't present a big problem coming off. Reminded me of turning acrylic with all those spaghetti strands coming off.

The wood looks like some kind of maple, not sure if it's hard maple or not, but it is laminated.

Don Orr
03-17-2006, 2:44 PM
Blake, now that's a bonker that's been bonkered a few times. Looks like its got a few more good bonks left in it though.;) Nice!

Ernie Nyvall
03-17-2006, 4:58 PM
From the original Bonker tree... Hercules Club. LOML needed a new one anyway... bout worn the other one out.:eek: :D

Ernie

Keith Burns
03-17-2006, 5:03 PM
Ernie, that looks like a corn dog to me:eek: :D

Ernie Nyvall
03-17-2006, 5:22 PM

Dang... you caught me.:p

Ernie

Michael Stafford
03-17-2006, 5:33 PM

Keith, you need to get out more.....:p :eek: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2006, 7:21 PM
All right...........took the day off to get over the cold.....couldn't sleep....slipped out to the shop..............I came up with an idea that would make Dale proud of me!:rolleyes:

I'll be posting it soon! Dale's gonna love this!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2006, 7:57 PM
Okay.........Here it is!...........A lot of engineering thought went into this...............are you ready?...............Here it is......it's an "Over and Under"........or a "Side-by-Side"..........depending on how she swings it!:eek: :D

Keith Burns
03-17-2006, 8:24 PM
OK Ken, you win ! What an engineering marvel and the execution is perfect. I never in my lifetime would have thought of that. You are truely the Bonker Master and are deserving of our praise:) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2006, 8:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments Keith!:rolleyes: I think Dale will be proud of me too!:D

John Hart
03-17-2006, 9:01 PM
OK Ken, you win ! What an engineering marvel and the execution is perfect. I never in my lifetime would have thought of that. You are truely the Bonker Master and are deserving of our praise:) :)

I agree...I'm throwing mine in the fire.:p :)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2006, 9:03 PM
Why do I get the feeling I've been set up AGAIN?:confused: It's really hard on my neck....looking over my shoulder so much!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-17-2006, 9:14 PM
Well. Watchin' out might be a good idea, but that's a good lookin' Bonker.

Bruce

Christopher K. Hartley
03-17-2006, 9:17 PM
A lot of engineering thought went into this

Wow TWO bonks for the price of one! Cool, I love it!

Christopher K. Hartley
03-17-2006, 9:32 PM
I think I had a post pulled in here...didn't think I said anything wrong...how do I find out for sure?

John Hart
03-17-2006, 9:55 PM
I think I had a post pulled in here...didn't think I said anything wrong...how do I find out for sure?

You would probably be notified via PM. Or you could ask that John M. guy when he comes out of hiding!:)

Dennis Peacock
03-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, I was going to enter Joseph's Bonker in the contest, but check my thread in the OT forum as to why I can't enter him in the contest now.
Basically, my Compact Flash card on my Digital SLR wigged out on me tonight while taking the final pic of Joseph and his entry. I lost all the pics of him turning his Bonker and the final product.:mad: :mad: :mad:

He was upset to a degree, but he also understood that things just "go wrong" sometimes.

While I lost the sweet memories via pictures of him turning his very 1st contest entry here on SMC, I still hope to round up a digital camera and at least post a pic of Joseph and his entry in the Bonkers contest before the deadline.

Needless to say....I'm a little on the bummed out side right now....right along with Joseph.:(

John Hart
03-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Aw Man! That's the pits! I was really looking forward to it Dennis. Nuts!:(

Dennis Peacock
03-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Aw Man! That's the pits! I was really looking forward to it Dennis. Nuts!:(

I'm not giving up John. Maybe Mark will read my post here and come to my rescue with his digital camera and at least take a pic of Joseph and his entry into the contest. I'll do something to get his entry posted by the deadline. It really means a LOT to Joseph as he's trying so hard to learn woodworking and to be a welcome part of SMC........He really likes reading the posts here with me. :cool: :)

Dale Thompson
03-17-2006, 10:53 PM

Blake,
Which is the bowling pin and which is the "bonker"? :confused: :cool: :) Mr. Hart is quite a tyrant on this type of "fuzzy bonker" submission! :) Remember, he's a typical SMC Moderator!? :) :eek:

By the way, is your bowling average better with the "left" lane or the "right" lane? :confused: ;) Nice pics, Blake! :) Thanks!

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Or you could ask that John M. guy when he comes out of hiding!:)

Dear Mr. Moderator,
Spring is NOT in hiding!! :( Maybe he SHOULD be but he is NOT!! :cool:

He is bravely and valiantly searching the most dangerous and challenging regions of the world trying to find a pair of those big, ruby-red, botox-filled wax lips to replace that phoney wax mustache that has done so much serious damage to his reputation! ;) :D May the "fickle finger of fate" offer guidance in his courageous quest!! :cool: :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I think Dale will be proud of me too!:D

Dear Mr. Fitzgerald, SIR,
You are truly a gentleman and a scholar! Your masterful skills in the area of woodworking are only exceeded by your sculptured handsome profile and your mental mastery of the "secrets of the universe". The world bows to your power and wisdom and your word is our COMMAND!! :cool:

By the way, MASTER, could you email a pic of one of your "bonkers" so that I can reenter this bloody "bonker" contest? :cool: ;) :)

Your Forever Servant,
Dale T.

Blake McCully
03-18-2006, 6:08 AM
By the way, is your bowling average better with the "left" lane or the "right" lane? :confused: ;)

Actually Dale, neither. Don't bowl. Don't have the necessary coordination to do that. I'm from Pennsylvania and as everyone knows, we can't walk and chew gum at the same time:eek:

Dennis Peacock
03-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Well.....THANKS to Ian on the tip for the digital pic recovery software...I was able to at least get 2 good pics and one "patched up" pic of Joseph and him turning his "Bonker". I still have to round up a camera to take a pic of him with the final result. But here it is anyway. The pic with Joseph using the 1/2" SKEW is where "something went wrong" and hosed up my whole digital picture world. The skew pic was croped out of a mess of a recovered pic.

Note: Notice how he's learned from Bill Grumbine and me about tucking that tool handle into your "turning muscle"??? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Atta Boy, Joseph!

Yup, that darn skew does indeed have powers which transcend ALL elements of turning.

Steve Clardy
03-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Well.....THANKS to Ian on the tip for the digital pic recovery software...I was able to at least get 2 good pics and one "patched up" pic of Joseph and him turning his "Bonker". I still have to round up a camera to take a pic of him with the final result. But here it is anyway. The pic with Joseph using the 1/2" SKEW is where "something went wrong" and hosed up my whole digital picture world. The skew pic was croped out of a mess of a recovered pic.

Note: Notice how he's learned from Bill Grumbine and me about tucking that tool handle into your "turning muscle"??? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Turning muscle.:confused: I don't have any of those.:confused: :confused:
How do I attain one of them:confused: :confused: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Folks..........I've got to get beyond the Bonkers level of turning and get on to something more complex!:rolleyes: I may even remove my entry to the Bonker's contest as I don't want to be shown up by Dennis's 10 year old son or John Hart's daughter!:rolleyes: A guy's got to have some pride you know!:rolleyes: :D

John Hart
03-18-2006, 1:24 PM
All Right Joseph!!!!!! Rockin'-n-Rollin'!!! Congratulations on recovering the pics Dennis. Cool!

Ken...if you're looking for a nice next step....Hollow Forms are fun!;) :)

Jeff Horton
03-18-2006, 2:47 PM
Mahagony, found on a pallet. Maple, scraps left in the shop, some Titebond II glue and about a hours time.

Wanted one of these for a long time. You guys motovated me to move on it.
Now I dare another homeowner and Realtor to tell me how to do my job. :D By the time they come too, I will be finished and gone.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2006, 2:51 PM
Jeff......you might want to make an "Side-by-Side" like I did. You could economize your efforts and get the realtor and the homeowner with one swing!

Excellent bonker BTW! Excellent!

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 2:55 PM
Jeff - With regard to your intended Bonkees, be sure to have lots of wind up during your back swing, and make certain to follow through during the sidewinded presentation to their numb skulls. All the way through.

John Hart
03-18-2006, 4:24 PM
Jeff - With regard to your intended Bonkees, be sure to have lots of wind up during your back swing, and make certain to follow through during the sidewinded presentation to their numb skulls. All the way through.

Now...tell me...is a "Bonkee" someone who takes their horse to the livery? I just want to make sure before I change my lifestyle.:)

Nice whackin' Bonker Jeff....Put some Reality in Realty.;)

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 4:31 PM
Actually, I think the Bonkee would be the horse. Or in Jeff's case, the horse's southern end.

Dale Thompson
03-18-2006, 7:20 PM
Now...tell me...is a "Bonkee" someone who takes their horse to the livery? I just want to make sure before I change my lifestyle.:)

John,
You may wish to keep your existing lifestyle. According to my totally reliable sources, a "Bonkee' is a cross between a B-rated mule and a horse. :cool: :eek: The lifestyle thing is YOUR call! ;) :D

Dale T.

Jeff Horton
03-18-2006, 8:09 PM
Jeff......you might want to make an "Side-by-Side" like I did. You could economize your efforts and get the realtor and the homeowner with one swing!

:cool: I like that idea! Of course some of the numb-skulls would never feel it. :mad:

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 9:10 PM
Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I got it done (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33191)!

I'm gonna do five things right now.

Go wolf down a big honking bowl of ice cream.
Watch a movie - any movie as long as it's really bad - so I can zone out.
Plan my bonker.
Sleep.
And first thing tomorrow - after I sleep in two or three times - I'm gonna come back out here to the barn (ahem, 'scuse me!) studio and have some quality time with Janine. Gawd, I've missed her white iron wicked fiercely bad.

John Hart
03-18-2006, 9:14 PM
I just had a bowl of Coffee with Chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Time for a movie here too!!

Dale Thompson
03-18-2006, 9:18 PM
Hi Folks,

I don’t do ebay but I understand that people usually wait until the last seconds to submit their FINAL bid. I was going to do that but after viewing the many feeble attempts at making a REAL “Bonker”, I thought that I would be safe in jumping in well before the deadline. :cool: I will use the cash winnings wisely and the 10’ bronze statue of me will look REAL nice in my front yard. I know that Dennis received my $10,000 CASH entry fee and I hope that the rest of you will be honest enough to honor your pledges! ;)

MY winning entry is an ant “Bonker”! Since turning talent was not required by the rules, you will note that I have pretty much mastered the “square” turnings but I’ve got a bit of work to do on the round stuff. :o

The concept of my incredible "Bonker" is similar to the “pogo stick” but FAR more technically advanced. :eek: All functional parts are clearly marked for ease of operation. It was designed so that even a MODERATOR could figure it out. ;) :) Note the large “schmucker plate” on the bottom of the "Bonker" for multiple ant extermination. The convenient size of the plate also allows for the user to keep score on the plate regarding the TOTAL number of ants that he/she has “murdered” over the past six month period. My score is written in Binary Form so it may be a bit difficult for some folks to fully comprehend the devastating impact that this “Star Wars” weapon has had on the ant population. :D

The REAL heart of my “Bonker”, however, lies in my clever application of electronic technology. The “laser-centered” device allows me a DIRECT readout of the distance to the next ant(s)! It is kind of like a “smart bomb” designed to reduce the ant population. I could go into detail but you "Bonker-challenged" folks wouldn’t understand anyway. ;)

Lastly, the real proof of any incredibly ingenious design is, “Does it WORK?” Are you kidding me? Take a close look at the floor of my shop and see if you can find a SINGLE ant! :cool: :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2006, 9:37 PM
Dadgumit Dale! I relinquish all holds I had as Master Bonker Maker and General Whiz Guy to you! You must have used all of your years of engineering education and experience to develop that Bonker! Talk about a Techy Bonker! WOW! Wow! Did I tell you the one word that best describes my reaction is "WOW" or "wow"(if you don't use captial letters)!:D

I hope that isn't finished.............could be a rule violation.............:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

John Hart
03-18-2006, 9:40 PM
Isn't Magic Marker a type of finish?:rolleyes:

Paul Douglass
03-18-2006, 9:48 PM
Darn it! There has to be a disqualification here some where! I've re-read the rules and can't find one, but something just isn't right! Square turning, I didn't know there was such a thing. What color lathe do youir have!

Don Baer
03-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Thats it I quit I just spent all day getting my entry but with Dales entry I don't feel that I can match his artistry...:(

David Fried
03-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Dale,

Perhaps in an off topic thread you can tell us about your mousey.

Judging from the burn marks I'm assuming you're recycling wood
used in a fire prevention lecture - very resourceful.

You do realize that if you win the contest you will need to buy Rachael a horsey.:D

Dave Fried

Jim Dunn
03-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Looks like bovine techno stuff to me.

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 11:14 PM
....Bad Form!

This is an obvious fraudulent attempt to win accolades. As any spinster can plainly see, this submission also lives up to almost all rules and regulations for the IT Contest. It is my fair and learned opinion that this entry was not submitted one day prior to the deadline, but actually seventeen days after the deadline closed.

Dale Thompson
03-18-2006, 11:27 PM
could be a rule violation

Ken,
Nice, decent and honest folks like you and I will NEVER win in this "cutthroat" world of "Bonker" design!! :mad: I already see in a post below where one of our "esteemed" Moderators is trying to "weasel" up some phoney reason to deprive me of my rightful heritage. :eek: ;)

Ken, as mild-mannered a person as I am, I think that it behooves you and I to protect the future of The Creek! :cool: We HAVE to work together to develop a "Weasel Bonker" that can be easily be turned into a "Moderator Modifier". :eek: We must STOP these scoundrels before they can harm us and then retreat into the depths of their subterranean lairs! :cool: ;) :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Isn't Magic Marker a type of finish?:rolleyes:

John,
It's NOT Magic Marker! :) It is washable crayon and is only used on units intended for sale to Moderators! ;) :) I'm trying to avoid lawsuits from all classes of "challenged" folks! :cool: :D Nice try, though!

GREAT shield, also!! :)

Dale T.

Dave Fifield
03-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the excuse guys! I have always wanted to make one of these medieval bomiknocker bonker weapons but didn't have any real reason to spend the time to do so until now. What? You've never heard of a bomiknocker before? Where on earth did I get the idea from? Well, years ago, I used to read a children's story to my kids that had a angry giant in it. He wielded a bomiknocker.

I had some left over scraps of walnut and a small hunk of maple that were ideal for this little project. I figured that I'd have to be fast and efficient if I was to finish turning all the bits in less than 4 hours. I did it, but not with much time to spare. The handle and spikes are walnut and the ball is maple. The ball is wood-glued to the handle (round M&T) and the spikes are super-glued into the ball. I tried my Sorby decorative rotary thingy for the first time on the handle. I didn't dig in deep enough but it came off okay for a first effort. I'll have to experiment with that device some more.

Here are a bunch of pictures showing the various stages:

http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/bomknocker1s.jpg http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/bomknocker2s.jpg http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/bomknocker3s.jpg http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/bomknocker4s.jpg http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/bomknocker5s.jpg http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/bomknocker6s.jpg http://www.daveswoodenwonders.com/bomknocker7s.jpg

I had a LOT of fun making this bonker :D. You'd better like it....OR ELSE!!!!

Dave F.

Dale Thompson
03-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Dale,
Perhaps in an off topic thread you can tell us about your mousey.
Judging from the burn marks I'm assuming you're recycling wood
used in a fire prevention lecture - very resourceful.
Dave Fried

Dave,
Why wait? The mousey belonged to my sixteen year-old shop cat, Cupid. She left me at 11:00 AM on May 17, 2004. Her mousey and her belled collar hang at the light switch to my shop. Every time that I hit the switch, I hear the bell and know that I am being watched. She expects the BEST of me! :) I do the best that I can.

The "burn" marks are due to the fact that I can only afford a 6-tooth mild steel blade for my table saw. :o When I win the BIG bucks in the "Bonkers" contest, I am shooting for a 20-tooth HSS blade to get rid of the burn marks. ;) :D :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2006, 12:05 AM
You get my vote Dave F. and I'll even remove my entry from the competition!:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Nicely made Bonker!

Andy Hoyt
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Way to go Dave!

That Bomiknocker rocks! Guaranteed the best one I've ever seen.

Dale Thompson
03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
What color lathe do youir have!

Paul,
I have tried to describe the color in various ways. The only color that I have gotten away with is a "very strange yellow"! :) All of my other descriptions have been deleted by the friendly Aliens from the "Moderator Zone". ;) :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-19-2006, 12:30 AM
....Bad Form!

This is an obvious fraudulent attempt to win accolades. As any spinster can plainly see, this submission also lives up to almost all rules and regulations for the IT Contest. It is my fair and learned opinion that this entry was not submitted one day prior to the deadline, but actually seventeen days after the deadline closed.

Andy,
You are obviously trying for a promotion to MODERATOR! :) Haven't you ever heard the axiom that, "Power corrupts and ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY!!"? A nice guy (although two-faced) like you is NOT intended for the decadent jet-setter life that our Moderators so smugly portray. :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Let's face it, Andy, you're better than -- -- AW -- there must be SOMETHING!! :) :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Ain't no way I'm getting between Dale and Andy! Momma Fitzgerald didn't raise a complete fool!:rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
03-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Ain't no way I'm getting between Dale and Andy! Momma Fitzgerald didn't raise a complete fool!:rolleyes:If it turns into a cage match, can I have the popcorn concession?:D

John Hart
03-19-2006, 5:46 AM
Oh Man!!!! That Bomiknocker is too cool!!!! Children's Story eh? Shoulda just let them watch Braveheart! :eek: :D Nice bonker Dave.:)

John Hart
03-19-2006, 5:53 AM
....The "burn" marks are due to the fact that I can only afford a 6-tooth mild steel blade for my table saw. :o When I win the BIG bucks in the "Bonkers" contest, I am shooting for a 20-tooth HSS blade to get rid of the burn marks. ;) :D :)......

Table Saw? I thought you Turned them square?

You're going to spend your winnings on Flat Work Tools???? I call that an Ethics violation!!!!;) :D :p

Gary Max
03-19-2006, 6:16 AM
Hands Down ----Dave Fifield has taken bonkers to the next level of performace. Great work not to mention the graphics. But I do not think I will be adding it to my craft show items this year.

Keith Burns
03-19-2006, 9:13 AM
David, your Bomiknocker is absolutely the Best. It is to good for this competition and is in a class of it own. Sorry Ken.

Mark Cothren
03-19-2006, 9:25 AM
Dave, you're scarin' me....:eek:...........................;) :D

Jim Dunn
03-19-2006, 9:31 AM
finished mine with some "Septic Tank Runoff". :eek: :o
Dale T.

That area is my personal professional pervue. Please keep your hands out of the effluent.(see I even use professional words) You've not been professionally trained in that aspect of finishing. And you'll spoil our little secret:eek:

David Fried
03-19-2006, 9:40 AM
Table Saw? I thought you Turned them square?

John,

I know most of us use a lathe but it you examine Dale's previous postings you'll see that he can take flat, square stock and run it through a jointer, planer and tablesaw to produce bowl like objects. He is very talented. ;)

I suspect he actually uses his lathe to make flat stock from round objects for his nice mantle projects, desks, etc. :D

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
03-19-2006, 9:42 AM
I have always wanted to make one of these medieval bomiknocker bonker weapons but didn't have any real reason to spend the time to do so until now. What? You've never heard of a bomiknocker before? Where on earth did I get the idea from? Well, years ago, I used to read a children's story to my kids that had a angry giant in it. He wielded a bomiknocker.

Now THATS the bonker of all bonkers! Wow!

Ernie Nyvall
03-19-2006, 9:51 AM
I had a LOT of fun making this bonker :D. You'd better like it....OR ELSE!!!!

Dave F.

You'll put your eye out!!!

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
03-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Dale - you gotta be kidding! I spent a small fortune just to become a 2006 Contributor. I can't imagine how much it would take to buy a new membership at the Moderator Level. Aint got that many fingers and toes.

Truthfully, my intent was only to get you disqualified so that my bonker (yet to be brought to life) could stand a chance at winning this major award. And between you and me - I think that Fifield guy musta spent at least 4.1 hours on his bomiknocker.

Lee DeRaud
03-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Children's Story eh? Shoulda just let them watch Braveheart! :eek: :D Or "Road Warrior": now there's a children's story! (Although the kid with the boomerang might give them ideas...:eek: )

George Conklin
03-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Well....

I had all these great plans to go out today and make my contribution to the bonker contest. That was until I saw Daves "Bomibonker" That is absolutely the Kewlest! I sort of had that idea, but didn't have the brains to figure out how to do it:rolleyes: .

Since I'm really jealous AND VINDICTIVE, maybe I could turn you in for having some kind of vicious, mean and dangerous new type assault weapon. I'm sure once the gov sees that they will want to ban it! Whoops. Where'd that rant come from?:D

In all seriousness, Dave. That's the best bonker I've seen. You have my vote.

Good Luck.

George

Dale Thompson
03-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I think that Fifield guy musta spent at least 4.1 hours on his bomiknocker.

Andy,
You NEVER know? :confused: That Fifield guy may be of those Super-Stars who will do ANYTHING to get to the top! :( :D :)

Andy, just between you and I, I spent over two weeks on MY "Bonker" but I didn't think it would be THAT obvious to the judges! ;) :)

Dale T.

03-19-2006, 11:37 AM
OK, I'm blaming this one on Mr. Hart. ;)

After my girls saw the great bonker his daughter Elise made, they were determined to have a go at it themselves.

They invited themselves down to the Dungeon (they said they were going to sweep the floor for me, ya right ;)).....and soon had me showing them how the lathe works.

We went through the basics, with the lathe turned off, and I showed them even how to sharpen the gouge. I turned a spot about 1" wide in the middle to show them ow to get it round, but then let them have at it. I moved the tool rest several times, and the wood is a nice soft piece of 2x4, I figured it they got a catch with that, it would not be so dramatic.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/erika_making_chips.jpg
Here is Erika, my eldest (11) she started off, and was fairly aggressive, she wanted to hog off all the wood
in one pass!! :D

Chips flying and tools bouncing around a bit during the roughing out did not seem to bother her at all.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/mizuki_making_chips.jpg
Mizuki did not like the tool bouncing around on rough out, so I helped her a bit, I stood behind her and helped her get a feel for the tool cutting, then she was fine with that.
When she got going she showed a healthy respect for the whole thing, and was able to take VERY light smooth cuts. One thing that she kept doing, much to our amusement, was trying to blow the chips off the tool with the face shield down :D

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/tokyo_dungeon_bonker_mark1.jpg
In the end we have the Tokyo Dungeon Bonker MkI....

So it looks like I'll have to get that chuck now that the girls are getting into this.... ;) :D

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
WOW! That bombiknocker is amazing! How is it on multiple, rapid fire bonks? I'm afraid the first object of attention will be seriously , uh, bonked, but a quick follow up may not be possible.....

Still waitint for a combo bonker/ice cream scooper from the guy in the far SE corner.

And WAY TO GO STU!!!! You (and Dennis and John H.) are in the running for bonkerest dad's! Seriously, getting the kids involved is terrific!

John Hart
03-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Mizuki and Erika.....WELL DONE!!!!:) :) :)

Congratulations on your first Turning.

Dad...You are a good man!!:)

03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Mizuki and Erika.....WELL DONE!!!!:) :) :)

Congratulations on your first Turning.

Dad...You are a good man!!:)

Thanks John, and Barry, but really, I was having as much fun as they were (though they still have not swept the floor).

I was down there putting the new tension spring into Big Blue and tuning it up with the newly sharpened blade, when the cleaning crew arrived, I like that kind of interruption!

Cheers!

George Conklin
03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I was down there putting the new tension spring into Big Blue and tuning it up with the newly sharpened blade, when the cleaning crew arrived, I like that kind of interruption!

Cheers!

Ahh... I believe that is called "turnus interuptus".

George

David Fried
03-19-2006, 1:07 PM
Mizuki and Erika are done already!!!:eek: I just got my billet cut - WOW!!
It looks great! Are you sure they aren't ringers who have been turning for twenty or thirty years?? :D I can't wait to see how Stu gets the horseys up to the seventh floor roof pasture!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Great job - Start shopping for another lathe or two Stu. I better get back to trying to save face:rolleyes:

Dave Fried

Glenn Clabo
03-19-2006, 5:45 PM
Holy Moly!!!! This place has gone midieval on me!

Andy Hoyt
03-19-2006, 5:55 PM
Okay guys, you can all go home and cry in your shavings now. I herewith formally submit for your bloodshot eyes and CA fumed noses my entry in this here contest.

Introducing ------------ Drum roll please -----------------

The one and (thank god) only Maine Made Multitasking Ice Cream Bonker.

At 16.38 light years long and weighing in at 7 troy ounces this puppy can do it all. Picture yourself on a hot and humid August night gathered with the family around a 5 gallon bucket of freshly churned Maine Cherry Fudge Ripple; everyone else wants a serving, and the feeding frenzy commences.

Well, you can not only beat them back with this thing; but also scoop up a decent sized serving in one fluid motion. And once they're back down on the floor slurping away you can now use it to feed yourself right from the bucket. Economical too as it saves all that wear and tear on the tupperware and plastic spoons fro frequent washings.

100% turned on Janine. A side order of carving, and sanded to a highly refined 32 grit. I also used every gouge, skew, chisel, scraper, and all other sharp stuff in the arsenal to produce this. Had it between centers twice, and outboard on the vac once. Total elapsed time was 37 minutes - and boy does it show! Wood is a piece from the pith removal process of all that hickory I have. Been lying on the ground outside since early December and dry as a bone - a wet spongy sopping wet bone.

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2006, 5:56 PM
Great entry for the Bonkers Mizuki and Erika!!!!!

Stu, you did real good buddy!!!! It's always great to share parts of woodworking with our kids as they are ready for it. Thanks for sharing with your kids Stu....Great memory builder!!!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2006, 6:01 PM
Let's see........John's daughter..........Dennis's son........now Stu's daughters.......that's it..........I hereby withdraw my Over-and-Under-Side-bySide from the competition.............I don't want to be beaten some one whose age is less than my shoe size!

Paul Douglass
03-19-2006, 7:02 PM
Paul,
I have tried to describe the color in various ways. The only color that I have gotten away with is a "very strange yellow"! :) All of my other descriptions have been deleted by the friendly Aliens from the "Moderator Zone". ;) :)

Dale T.

Just wondered what color you had to have to do square turn'n

Awesome Bonker Dave F!!

George Conklin
03-19-2006, 7:04 PM
With only seconds to spare, I respectfully submit my bonker.

It's Brazilian Cherry about 20" long and perfect for bonking whatever:D

George

Jim Dunn
03-19-2006, 7:13 PM
My congrats to all the "under age" turners. Now you can understand the smile on dad's face without explanation. Oh ,and Andy, I've seen that scoop used before at the hardware store for nails, screws, seeds and manure.

David Fried
03-19-2006, 8:28 PM
Ran out of time but I did give a try. Had to make diner and run to Block Buster. Oh well.

This is my sceptar style bonker, perhaps for King Salmon.

It from a piece of Cherry that suffered from ring shake. It was to have had a long pointy thing but it broke. The wood up that end was hollow! It started out to be 30" long but ended up 24" long. It's the longest thing I've tried turning.

I did get the hexagonal head! (No ice cream scoop either :mad: ).

It is sanded with 100 grit, quickly, and has some color because I just wiped off the saw dust with mineral spirits. DOUBLE disqualification!!! That's OK, I'm voting for someone else!!

Thanks.

Dave Fried

Dale Thompson
03-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Okay guys, you can all go home and cry in your shavings now. I herewith formally submit for your bloodshot eyes and CA fumed noses my entry in this here contest.

Introducing ------------ Drum roll please -----------------

The one and (thank god) only Maine Made Multitasking Ice Cream Bonker.

At 16.38 light years long and weighing in at 7 troy ounces this puppy can do it all. Picture yourself on a hot and humid August night gathered with the family around a 5 gallon bucket of freshly churned Maine Cherry Fudge Ripple; everyone else wants a serving, and the feeding frenzy commences.

Well, you can not only beat them back with this thing; but also scoop up a decent sized serving in one fluid motion. And once they're back down on the floor slurping away you can now use it to feed yourself right from the bucket. Economical too as it saves all that wear and tear on the tupperware and plastic spoons fro frequent washings.

100% turned on Janine. A side order of carving, and sanded to a highly refined 32 grit. I also used every gouge, skew, chisel, scraper, and all other sharp stuff in the arsenal to produce this. Had it between centers twice, and outboard on the vac once. Total elapsed time was 37 minutes - and boy does it show! Wood is a piece from the pith removal process of all that hickory I have. Been lying on the ground outside since early December and dry as a bone - a wet spongy sopping wet bone.

Hey Falls,
You are WAY behind the times! :rolleyes: With modern technology, a
Bonker" that is ONLY 16.38 Light Years long is NOT a REAL challenge! That breaks down to a mere 507,302,930,500,000,000 feet. When are you going to "upgrade" from a mini-lathe? :confused: :D Anyway, the fact that you did this with only 7 Troy ounces of even "fairy dust" must cast aspersions on your credibility! You must have turned your "Bonker" from the smoke drifting eastward from my enormous "scrap" pile fires! :o :)

Now, the time frame of 37 minutes (even a Moderator should be able to figure THIS one out) sounds a bit short! With two faces, you probably spent more time than that just to find your lathe. THEN! Considering all of the chisels that you used, the four eyes searching in different directions, and the chucking changes involved, the 37 number quickly expands into hours, years, decades and, perhaps, even eons! :eek:

Andy, I would NEVER want to embarrass a friend so I will not even bring up the time spent filling BOTH of your pie-holes with ice cream (from Wisconsin, I assume!). :cool: :) GOOD LUCK IN THE CONTEST!! :rolleyes:

Dale T.

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2006, 2:53 PM
OK.....I located a very old digital camera that I could at least get a pic of Joseph's file "bonker". Here it is.

Andy Hoyt
03-20-2006, 2:57 PM
That's cool, Dennis. Tell Joseph that it's reminisent of Rude Osolnik's work.

John Hart
03-20-2006, 3:19 PM
Way cool Joseph....It has been transferred to the Voting Thread.