PDA

View Full Version : New tool

Rich Stewart
03-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Got me a new band saw yesterday. Craftsman from Sears for 279.00. Maybe not the best but good enough for me and the price was right. I wanted a new one mainly because my other one, a Global Machinery Co bandsaw, was too limited in the cutting height dept. Only like 3 and a half inch. It was good for what i originally got it for which was, if some of you remember, i could carry it easily from my dining room to my deck where I did my turning. This Craftsman has almost 7 inches cutting height. Wooo hoooo. Now I can cut down some of the wood I have that was too big before. I thought I would throw in a couple pics of my shop too.

Chris Barton
03-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi Rich,

Nice Gloat! I would have to say that at the end of the day I have been fairly satisfied by Craftsman's tools. Good luck with your bandsaw!

George Conklin
03-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Way to go, Rich. It's always a good day when you get a new tool..

By the way. Is it just me, or does anybody else out there see a resemblance (sp?) between Richs' picture and Dan Marino?:confused:

George

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Nice gloat Rich. I think you will like it. Neighbor has one and says it is a gem. What kind of lathe is the green one in the last picture?

John Strait
03-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Rich,

Looks like a nice saw. You will really enjoy the added capacity of it and wonder how you ever made it without it.

john

Paul Douglass
03-11-2006, 3:01 PM
I looked at one of those saws, was pretty impressed. Espically for that price. When my son gets back in the states and wants his tools back, I will probably get one of those to replace his Rigid. Been fun storing his tools for him but I will have to buy a table saw and a bandsaw one of these days

John Hart
03-11-2006, 4:43 PM
Rich,

Looks like a nice saw. You will really enjoy the added capacity of it and wonder how you ever made it without it.

john

Boy...THAT'S for sure!!!!
Congratulations Rich!:)

Rich Stewart
03-11-2006, 4:49 PM
Bernie, That is my first lathe. Didn't know anything about SMC. I saw a guy turning trinkets on a vacation in Taiwan. Didn't know anything about turning but I knew i wanted to do it. When i got back I bought that green one off ebay for 100 + 59 shipping. Instructions are Chinese translated literally (fairly funny) so i am assuming it is a generic Chinese machine. I cut up some wood today and that Craftsman is SWEEEEEEEET!

Dick Parr
03-11-2006, 5:55 PM
Nice gloat Rich, Congrats. That should do a good job for ya.

Corey Hallagan
03-11-2006, 8:52 PM
Congrats Rich. I have looked at that one myself. Have you tried to resaw with it?
Corey

Rich Stewart
03-11-2006, 9:02 PM
What, exactly, is resawing? I keep hearing that but have no idea what it is. Somebody edumacate me. Re means 'do again' to me. So if a feller is resawing, does that mean he goofed it up the first time? If thats the case then, yes, it resaws very well. I have to re-saw, re-turn, re-paint, re-finish, re-drill, re-sand, practically everything I do.

Joe Mioux
03-11-2006, 9:07 PM
Congrats on the new BS.... Nice Gloat Rich, I remember your outdoo-deck-shop lathe station.

Can you re-post it for some that may have forgotten or never seen it.

I thought it was great!

joe

Gary DeWitt
03-11-2006, 9:15 PM
LMAO, Rich. Resaw refers to ripping a (usually) already milled board or plank, usually on edge through the saw. Sometimes it's to rip your own thin veneers, or just if you want a non-standard thickness of wood and don't want to waste away a lot of it by planing it to thickness. Also allows you to make bookmatched grain pieces (think of taking a board and slicing it down the middle on edge, then opening the slices like a book. The grain will match on the left and right sides of the "book" like a mirror).
Takes a well adjusted saw with good guides to get consistent thickness.

Vaughn McMillan
03-12-2006, 4:49 AM
Nice score, Rich. I looked real closely at that model before deciding to go with a bit bigger saw, but it sure looked like an excellent machine, especially for the price. Lots of features and it seemed well thought out. I'm betting you're gonna be real happy with it.

- Vaughn

Rich Stewart
03-12-2006, 9:08 AM
Joe, If you do a search on my name and go to like page 13 there are some shots of my deck work shop. Title being "Workshop". Haha. I remember those days. Had that lathe set on 1100 RPM's and left it there. Put a bowl blank on and hit the start button and jump back. Kind of scary to watch a 6 inch bowl blank spinning that fast. Stand and watch it for a while until i got my nerve up and go touch it with one tool or another trying to figure out what each one did. Everything was a masterpiece. Wife would ooh and aah over everything. I'd puff out my little chest and feel all proud of myself. hahaha. Oops. Rambling again.

Anthony Anderson
03-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey Rich, Congratulations! I actually checked out this saw at the local Sears store, because my brother mentioned that he might buy one. I was really impressed with the features they packed on the saw, it is really a nice saw. I wouldn't hesitate one minute to own that saw. The Professional line from Sears has come a long way from what Craftsman tools were becoming. Regards, Bill

Don Orr
03-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Rich, nice addition to the shop. Hope it serves you well for a long time to come. Good looking shop too-way too clean though. Get out there and mess it up !:D

Daniel Heine
04-24-2006, 3:35 PM
Hello,

I was looking at the Craftsman 10" bandsaw, and I noticed that the Craftsman bandsaws have an uncanny resemblence to the Rikon bandsaws. I wonder if Rikon is making them for Sears?

Thanks,
Dan Heine

Mark Rios
04-24-2006, 3:43 PM
By the way. Is it just me, or does anybody else out there see a resemblance (sp?) between Richs' picture and Dan Marino?:confused:

George

I can see it George. But it's probably only becuse it's in a little pic. Probably look different in a larger one. There's a member of the Creek with a pic that reminds me alot of Lt. Cmdr. Riker, aka Jonathon Frakes From Star Trek TNG. :D

Ben Roman
04-24-2006, 4:27 PM
New Tools Rock !!! Awesome Job and Nice Shop.

Cheers

Ben

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2006, 5:47 PM
Nice Gloat! I like craftsman stuff it has always treated me good. It's a bute so have fun!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-24-2006, 6:45 PM
Nice gloat, that is exactly the kind of saw I want to buy for cutting curvy stuff, my Resaw bandsaw is really only good for straight lines....

Great gloat.... :D

Ernie Nyvall
04-24-2006, 7:33 PM
Congrats on the saw Rich. Looks like you made a good deal. Te table is a nice size.

Ernie