PDA

View Full Version : filling cracks/gaps techniques?

andy Needles
03-11-2006, 2:07 AM
Hello all,

I have slabs of AD claro walnut, some with cracks, and open knots or other holes. Some of these holes are 1/4 inch across. I have my own techniques, but I wanted to hear what others do to fill these, while maintiaining a natural look.

So- how do you fill or otherwise deal with bigger cracks/holes in big slabs?

Thanks for your responses!

Chris Barton
03-11-2006, 6:34 AM
I normally go either with a dutchman patch or the old saw dust and epoxy...

Mark Singer
03-11-2006, 9:39 AM
Either epoxy and I don't fill it flush ....just a light coatng or regular pva glue like tightbond applied with a small brush . The glue will secure loose knots etc....stay in the rough area so it doesn't effect the finish

Jamie Buxton
03-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Here's a few possibilities...

Epoxy or polyester resin. (Polyester is less expensive, and you can get it at auto parts stores. They sell it for fiberglassing.) I put pigment in it to make it opaque brown or black. In the furniture, it looks obviously like plastic -- a contrast with the very organic wood surrounding it. Resin is sometimes a good way to stabilize loose knots.

Wood. In gnarly wood like claro walnut, you're not going to be able to make an invisible patch. You may as well make it obvious, and use a contrasting wood or or some distinct shape like a butterfly. The butterfly can also be used to control wood movement if the split is a big one.

Metal. I've inlaid sheet-pewter and sheet-silver patches to cover defects. It works very nicely. Brass could be done too. Also, somebody sells a resin which when cured is supposed to resemble metal. (http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5671)

In-Lace. This is a commercial product which consists of stone chips embedded in plastic resin. It is marketed mostly to turners, but works in flat work just as well. The original in-lace was turquoise, but it now is available in many colors.