PDA

View Full Version : Tricked out table saw

Dan Stuewe
08-07-2003, 4:26 PM
Let me premise this post by saying that I am in no way a tool expert, and if my observations are incorrect, please let me know.

I've noticed that in the past (>10 years ago) it seems the only way to get a high end fence for your table saw, was to get an after market fence. When I first started getting into woodworking (early '90s) it seemed like most table saws came with a poor or acceptable fence and if you wanted better you bought an after market commercial fence. I don't know when the Uni-fence came out, but I understand that Delta bought Beisemeyer after they had established themselves as high-grade accessory maker. Well now you'd be hard pressed to find a contractor or cabinet saw that doesn't come with a Bies clone (besides Delta offering either the Bies or the Uni-fence). Anyway, what I'm trying to describe is how what at one time was an after market add-on has become a standard part of a table saw.

My question is what might be the next feature to make it as a standard table saw accessory? We've started to see quite a few "Special Editions" with table boards or mobile bases. Delta has some great safety devices (both through Biesemeyer and the Uni-guard), but as near as I can tell, you can't order a Unisaw with these items, you have to do it a-la-carte. If nothing else, if one company raises the bar, competitors will have to respond (I understand that Jet's Beis clone has easily removable faces).

Any thoughts?

(BTW, this was written with “American” small shop table saws in mind. I’m even more clueless when it comes to industrial or European saws.)

Jim DeLaney
08-07-2003, 6:03 PM
My guess would be that the next option-to-standard equipment 'upgrade' will be the blade guard/splitter. Seems like a lot of folks are expressing interest in using them, and some are even building their own.

I know I went from having the 'stock' guard and splitter laying on a shelf somewhere to using the Delta Uniguard nearly all the time. When I bought my new Shop Fox cabinet saw a few weeks ago, the Uniguard was installed before I even turned it on... I also found that the Delta removable splitter would install on the (left tilt) Shop Fox with minimal modification, and it's now permanently installed, too.

Several others I've talked to have also expressed that they're using guards now, and never/seldom did before.

<Center><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" COLOR="Blue">Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.</FONT></Center>

Terry Hatfield
08-07-2003, 6:16 PM
Dan,

I would hope that in the near future the vendors would start including a good splitter and guard like Jim suggested. That does seem to be the number one upgrade. I'm sure that at least 90 percent of the stock guards and splitters are never used. They are just too much of a pain.

I would hope that a sliding table would also be available on a cabinet saw before too long. I realize that the Jet SS and the Dewalt have small versions already available, but I'm talking about something that is capable of handling a 48" crosscut like the Exaktor and Excalibur. I have the Exaktor on my Grizzly 1023. It's a great add on but if the vendors would include something similar as an option it would be really nice.

Terry

Charles McKinley
08-07-2003, 8:10 PM
I think Amazon is offering a Powermatic with a sliding table as a package.

scott spencer
08-08-2003, 6:32 AM
Dan - You're right, most fences have improved alot, but most stock miter gauges are still just about worthless. The most rugged stock miter I've seen is from General, but it's still not particularly accurate when compared to an Incra, Jointech, Osborne or other good aftermarket miter. Since it's cheaper to make things in quantity, I'd love to see mfg's offer improved miter gauges.

Mike Laing
08-08-2003, 6:46 AM
Dan,

For years I had a delta contractor's saw with the unifence, uniguard and the delta sliding table. It worked well but it took an amazing amount of room roughly 28" deep by 6 1/2 feet long and it required adjustment on a regular basis. The uniguard is a step forward when it comes to north american style table saw guards and with the removable splitter is convient to use.

I would like to see table saws in north america develop a more european style guard and splitter combination like those found on felder, knapp and mini max. I am awaiting my felder combo machine and one of the selling features was the guard for the table saw , which is a small feature but, I like most woodworkers use the table saw all the time.

Mike Laing