PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a thread size.

Mike Cutler
03-10-2006, 8:44 PM
I bought a Porter Cable PC 892 off of the "junk table" at the local borg. I cannot determine the thread size for the fasteners used to secure an edge guide system to the router. I have just about every size bolt and thread around 10-32 to 1/4-20. It looks like some kind of a 12. I've tried metric 5's and 6's, but I must not have the right pitch if it's metric.
The router came with an instruction manual, a 1/2" collet, and a taped together case. Not much of a gloat really. but it does work.
Luckily my MicroFence has the correct adapter, now I just need to figure out the fastener size.
Tia.

Barry O'Mahony
03-10-2006, 10:11 PM
It's a 12-24, although the threads in the casting are cut kinda tight and makes it hard to start the threads.

I have the PC edge guide, and the screws that come with it are 12-24's (the thread guage I have says they are 24 TPI, and the screws thread into a 12-24 die).

Mike Cutler
03-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Thank's Barry. I'll run a 12-24 tap through there tomorrow. I guess the soft cast Aluminium had me concerned. I was going to push a stainless 12-24 through there, but I'll clean up the casting with a tap first.
Once again, Thank you.

Barry O'Mahony
03-11-2006, 2:46 AM
I'll clean up the casting with a tap first.
Once again, Thank you.That's a good idea. I just did that to mine, and the tap cut a tiny amount of aluminum "fluff".