PDA

View Full Version : mm16 v. LT16HD v. 90-270 fences

Rich Person
03-10-2006, 8:44 PM
I don't want to start another firestorm about whether the MM or the Laguna is a better bandsaw, but I am looking into purchasing one of the below:

Minimax MM16
Laguna LT16HD
General International 90-270 (the longshot)

I know this board favors the MM16 and I don't doubt that it is a superior machine in some ways. But, there have been a lot of reports about fences that aren't perpendicular to the tables and one report (that I can't seem to find) of an instrument maker in Oregon who couldn't cut veneers with it and had to return it.

My primary interest in buying one of the above is resawing (including burl veneers) and want a machine that I can get reliable thickness out of that can be drum sanded, rather than planed.

I would like to hear from anyone that has any thoughts about the reliability of any of the above fence systems to consistantly cut veneers. (I'm not looking for discussion of which has better customer service, or which saws a 2x12 piece of wenge faster).

Brian Hale
03-10-2006, 9:23 PM
First i've heard about the fence problem :confused: If it's not perpendicular then the guide rail needs to be adjusted. Mine is pretty much dead on 90*

Brian :)

Paul B. Cresti
03-10-2006, 9:27 PM
Rich,
First to explain what I have and had. I just sold my Agazzani B-24 and bought a MM24, so I do beleive in the MM's. That said no matter what bandsaw you end up with plan on make a tall resaw fence to use, period. It could be something as simple as a piece of MDF bolted to the stock fence or something much more elaborate. Do not focus on fences that is a minor thing....the fence on my Agazzani was very nice but the MM is a beast of a saw (in a good way) and that is what matters in bandsaw: mass & rigidity& tensioning a blade

Clint Malone
03-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I went through this same decision a few months ago and was somewhat leaning towards the minimax at first and then towards the laguna after reading about all the switch and electrical problems the minimax's had. After a little research, it looked like anyone serious about resawing veneer used a powerfeeder and it also looked like the table on the MM16 and LT16HD were a little on the small side for mounting a powerfeeder.

I eventually ended up getting a Grizzly G0566 as the 20" MM and Laguna were just crazy expensive. I found that for the price of the MM16 I could get the G0566, a power feeder, resaw fence, and a lenox trimaster carbide blade and a couple of bimetal blades as well.

I did this and now get glass smooth resaws that don't even need to go through the drum sander.

If the 3 hp is not enough for you, you can get a 5 hp version (g0531 I think).

Anyway, I think whichever one you choose if you take the time to set it up right and don't get a lemon that breaks, you will be happy. Seriously consider adding a powerfeeder though if you are primarily looking at resawing. It does a much better job than can be done by hand.

I personally am very pleased with the Grizzly and would highly recommend it to just about anyone who needs to resaw a lot. If you really have a lot of money thier 24" resaw master bandsaw looks REALLY nice, but it was just to big for my shop.

Chris Barton
03-11-2006, 7:00 AM
I have the Laguna 16hd and it's a nice saw. You won't need a power feeder, I have resawed plenty on this saw and haven't needed to do anything more than regular sanding of the resawed stock. If money is the "rate limiting factor" as some say in science, then I would go with on of the bigger Grizs. If resawing is what you'er going to do mostly, stay away from smaller machines, try to focus on something with 3-5 hp.

Rich Person
03-11-2006, 1:17 PM
I eventually ended up getting a Grizzly G0566 as the 20" MM and Laguna were just crazy expensive. I found that for the price of the MM16 I could get the G0566, a power feeder, resaw fence, and a lenox trimaster carbide blade and a couple of bimetal blades as well.

I did this and now get glass smooth resaws that don't even need to go through the drum sander.

I personally am very pleased with the Grizzly and would highly recommend it to just about anyone who needs to resaw a lot. If you really have a lot of money thier 24" resaw master bandsaw looks REALLY nice, but it was just to big for my shop.

Thanks for complicating things. ;-)

I had thought about the 19" grizz, but didn't think it competed with the others. Considering the 21" offers a whole set of advantages. I don't need 16" of resaw, but I do want at least 12". 14" on the Grizz would be nice. If I have to replace the fence on the MM16 anyway, then why not buy the Grizz and replace its fence?

I really wish the Sawstop BS was coming out sooner. I talked to them the other day and, while their prototype is a 14", they said they are likely to go with a 20" as their first BS model. I'm guessing the Sawstop 20" will have all the bells and whistles and be a really quality machine, if it is anything like their cabinet saw.

Ed Kowaski
03-11-2006, 6:09 PM
Do not focus on fences that is a minor thing....the fence on my Agazzani was very nice but the MM is a beast of a saw (in a good way) and that is what matters in bandsaw: mass & rigidity& tensioning a blade

Worth repeating and I totally agree.
I have the General 90-270 and it's a BEAST (in a good way) :)

I thought this was really good advice too...

Do not focus on fences that is a minor thing....the fence on my Agazzani was very nice but the MM is a beast of a saw (in a good way) and that is what matters in bandsaw: mass & rigidity& tensioning a blade

Good luck in your quest.

tod evans
03-12-2006, 11:03 AM
rich, i only know of one way to get consistent results when resawing veneer and that`s with a feeder......02 tod

Clint Malone
03-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I had no idea they were gonna start with a big one. I will probably buy a sawstop cabinet saw and bandsaw (if it is as good as this griz) in a couple of years. I just CAN'T afford to lose any fingers since they are my livelihood. That is one of the reasons why I got the powerfeeder. My hands don't go within a foot of the blade.

Mandell Mann
05-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I bought a Laguna 16hd and I love it so far.

I don't want to start another firestorm about whether the MM or the Laguna is a better bandsaw, but I am looking into purchasing one of the below:

Minimax MM16
Laguna LT16HD
General International 90-270 (the longshot)

I know this board favors the MM16 and I don't doubt that it is a superior machine in some ways. But, there have been a lot of reports about fences that aren't perpendicular to the tables and one report (that I can't seem to find) of an instrument maker in Oregon who couldn't cut veneers with it and had to return it.

My primary interest in buying one of the above is resawing (including burl veneers) and want a machine that I can get reliable thickness out of that can be drum sanded, rather than planed.

I would like to hear from anyone that has any thoughts about the reliability of any of the above fence systems to consistantly cut veneers. (I'm not looking for discussion of which has better customer service, or which saws a 2x12 piece of wenge faster).

Dave Novak
05-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I bought a Laguna 16hd and I love it so far.

I also went with the LT 16HD. I'm thrilled with it. I haven't found a log yet that it hasn't melted through. Slap on a resaw king and you'll be amazed at what this machine can do.

sascha gast
05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
it ended up being a 16HD for me, and mine is 3 years old now. so I got the 3hp version and it resaws like a champ

Tom Cowie
05-03-2007, 4:47 PM
Laguna LT-20

Love it .

Tom

Steve Rowe
05-03-2007, 5:11 PM
LT-18 (older model with 12" resaw height) and cut uniform veneers top to bottom the full capacity. I use a 1" Lennox carbide tipped blade and just recently got a 1-1/4" Resaw King. I use only the tension gauge on the machine and can get perfect veneers as thin as 1/32" or less. No need for those fancy overpriced tension gages in my shop.:) I normally go for a veneer thickness of 1/16 - 3/32" because I don't have a drum sander and don't want to burn through hand sanding.

Love the saw and has never given me any trouble.
Steve

Alan Tolchinsky
05-03-2007, 5:46 PM
I have a MM16 that I was never totally happy with and if I had to do it over again I'd go with something else. It seems like you hear less complaining about Laguna quality on this board but that is just my impression. I'm sure Mini Max monitors this board from time to time and I never heard of them stepping up here and helping anybody with their problems.

Roy Wall
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I have a MM16 that I was never totally happy with and if I had to do it over again I'd go with something else. It seems like you hear less complaining about Laguna quality on this board but that is just my impression. I'm sure Mini Max monitors this board from time to time and I never heard of them stepping up here and helping anybody with their problems.

Alan,

From my personal experience, MM has been good to me. Sam Blasco has given me Excellent CS as my MM rep. Tim Tidwell is their Tech CS rep and has also helped me get my machines running properly.

Just recently MM helped SMC member Brad Schmidt with his band saw issues - and it looks to be a happy ending. Just some observations.

Brian Hale
05-05-2007, 7:15 AM
I'm with you Alan. I'm ready to put mine at the end of the driveway with a for sale sign on it. :(

I think when the shop gets built and i have to drag all these machines out of the basement i'll be looking for another BS, most likely a Bridgewood or Agazzani 20 incher.

Brian :)

Chris Barton
05-05-2007, 7:47 AM
I've been watching this "blast from the past" thread being reborn with some interest. I'm in year 2 with my LT16HD with 4.8 Baldor motor and ceramic guides still with absolutely zero problems, perfect right off the shipping pallet. I also have a Robland X31 (yes, that legendary machine that's supposed to be sooo evil) and aside from an adjustment to the amp setting on the mag starter, it has been flawless as well and is wonderfully accurate and powerful. I had many folks try to dissuade me from buying these machines because the people at Laguna were reported to be direct offspring from the devil and that all of their equipment would self-destruct upon arrival. Interestingly, all these well wishers seemed to like MM and could tell great stories about the abundance of superb CS they got from MM (and from all their stories, they clearly needed it). Never thought I would see a collection of dissatisfied posts from MM owners. I just figured that the great CS would always offset any shortcomings of the machine but, I guess there is a limit to everything.