PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #6 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-10-2006, 8:12 PM
Well, when I last posted on this thing (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32610) I had just completed the steeple and was going to spend some time cleaning the project up. Did that the next day and have made some progress, but I dunno if I'm gonna make it. I fear that it's time for some old college style all-nighters.
This is another shot looking up inside the tower and onward into the steeple. All spiffied up and the eight 4x6 common rafters have been installed.
And an overview shot of the exterior from the front. Note that our spokesmodel is back and provides a sense of scale. He's exactly six feet tall.

Hang on. Got some more shots that I'll put in the next post.

Andy Hoyt
03-10-2006, 8:26 PM
Being as faithful as possible to the actual church is a challenge for the interior finishes on the exterior walls. You're looking at three courses of 1x8 T&G run horizontally around the perimeter which acts as a wainscot. Above that is some 1/2" sheetrock. Later on I'll add a chair rail hiding the meeting point. The sheetrock is actually 1/8" thick tempered hardboard with three coats of primer and two coats of an eggshell latex paint. The label on the can says that the color is Parisian Taupe. Kinda looks like off-white to me.
Here's an exterior shot taken a bit later. Trying to multi task by laying up some more T&G on the roof while the glue dries elsewhere. I can't do much more on this eave wall until I have the windows built so I can properly prepare the rough opening.
Here's a nice arty interior shot. Got some nice curls from my itty bitty LN plane while making sure that the roof boards and the top board on the wall meet properly. The three bottom boards on the gable end are only connected at their ends to the corner posts which explains their somewhat wavy nature. Have to install some blocking to stiffen up that door opening and then I'll install some simulated SIPs which will stiffen the wall right up and get rid of the waviness.
Another "art shot".

Time to go inside and have a late supper, then back at it. Think I'll finish the roof and get that gable wall stiffened up.

Thanks for looking.

Dick Parr
03-10-2006, 8:46 PM
That is some outstanding work Andy, you have more patients then I do. I can't wait to see this house finished.;)

Dennis Peacock
03-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Outstanding Andy!!!!!!!!

Giving me some idears for making the LOML sumpin like that. Maybe the only way I'll ever be able to provide her with the post-n-beam home she's always wanted. :eek: ;)

Jerry Clark
03-11-2006, 9:19 AM
WOW Andy, it looks like full scale-- Great work!:D Thanks for taking the time to document the project-- I am sure it slowed you down a little, but everyone enjoys the step-by-step pictures!:)

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 2:06 PM
Not slowing down at all Jerry, I do these postings during the glue drying phase. Deadline is a week from tomorrow and if I had the windows now I'd be in great shape. Since I now have to make them myself, I'm avoiding doing so like the plague. Should just stop and do it, but it means a day or two of futzing to get them right. Agghhhh!

Jim Young
03-11-2006, 5:41 PM
Just like all contractor's, you are behind and blaming it on a supplier. :D

Steve Ash
03-11-2006, 5:47 PM
Just like all contractor's, you are behind and blaming it on a supplier. :D

Sometimes we blame it on homeowners not making up their minds....:D

Jim Young
03-11-2006, 5:59 PM
Steve, I have five bucks sitting on my computer table which was from a bet to myself that I would get a response from you. Next time we meet I'll buy the beer. :D

Andy Hoyt
03-11-2006, 7:18 PM
And if all else fails we can always blame the architect.

Right, Mark!?!:D