PDA

View Full Version : Blade Wrenches?

John Wilson
03-10-2006, 6:34 PM
I'm used to using (2) wrenches with my old saw (1) to hold the arbor and (1) to remove the nut that holds on the blade. I just got a new Grizzly 1023 and it came with only (1) wrench. How do you guys remove and tighten the nut when you use a stacked dado set? You can't very well use one of those Bench Dog blade holders or a block of wood. Just wondering? There are flat spots on the arbor that could be used with a second wrench but it would have to be a very thin one. Does anyone use a second wrench?

Gary Swart
03-10-2006, 6:52 PM
I just use the end of my push stick. I tried one of the fancy plastic blade holders, but it broke and didn't seem to work any better than the stick. You only have to hold it while you break the nut loose. After that, the nut is just finger tight. When I put the blade on, I wedge the push stick so I can snug the nut up, I don't actually "tighten" the nut as in cinch it down.:)

Hoa Dinh
03-10-2006, 6:54 PM
Before I got a Unisaw, which comes with an (open) inside wrench and a (closed) outside wrench, I just used a piece of wood scrap to jam the blade (be it a normal blade or a stackable dado set) when loosening/tightening the arbor nut.

So two wrench is better, but one wrench is sufficient.

I bet you it's not that difficult to buy from HD a heavy duty Simpson strap (IIRC, 0.115" thick) and cut it into an inside wrench.

Tim Devery
03-10-2006, 8:06 PM
My 1023 came with an allen wrench for the shaft.

Jamie Buxton
03-10-2006, 8:24 PM
I use my hand. I grab the blade or the dado head in one hand and operate the wrench with the other.

Steve Clardy
03-10-2006, 8:41 PM
I use my pushstick, or, when that doesn't work, I have a set of wrenches for a radial arm saw that will fit the slot on the shaft on the pulley side.

Jim Becker
03-10-2006, 10:02 PM
When I got my Jet cabinet saw...I just ordered a second wrench from them. ;-)