PDA

View Full Version : Shocking charity auction result

Jeff Sudmeier
03-10-2006, 4:41 PM
Everyone,

A while back I posted a cutting board that I didn't know if I liked. All of you said that you liked it so I kept it to give as a gift. I made about 10 more boards total and ended up having 2 too many.

Fast forward to yesterday, a woman at work has breast cancer and we were doing all kinds of things to raise money for treatment. (Bake Sale, ice cream, chili, etc). Well I had the board at work, so I sent out an email that the highest bidder gets it. Well a bidding war ensued and the final bid was....

$175!! I was shocked that someone would pay that much for my work, they don't know the woman and truely wanted to pay me that much for it. Another person wants one for their final bid of $150!!

Vaughn McMillan
03-10-2006, 4:48 PM
Well done on all counts, Looks like the board was destined to be a bit more than just a gift. Win-win situation for all involved. Good job.

I auctioned off a little 9" x 7" or so cheese board I made from scraps for Katrina relief several months ago, and it fetched around $65.

- Vaughn

Tom Andersen
03-10-2006, 5:46 PM
It looks very nice, I might want to copy the design! I have one question though: Which glue did you pick? Will it survive the dishwasher?
Thanks
Tom

Mike Cutler
03-10-2006, 6:00 PM
Bravo Jeff. For the size of your heart, and the nice work that you did on that cutting board.
Well done all around.:)

William Bachtel
03-10-2006, 6:24 PM
I have sold cutting boards for as much as l00 bucks, usually 75, not fancy either.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-10-2006, 6:32 PM
Ain't it GRAND, when a plan comes together!

WTG.

Bruce

Todd Davidson
03-10-2006, 6:44 PM
Good Karma Jeff.

Peace, Todd

David Fried
03-10-2006, 7:09 PM
Jeff,

You're turning into an artist!! Maybe you should consider a goatee or soul patch! Congrats!!! Nice work - and always nice to be appreciated. Good for you for supporting a good cause.

Dave Fried
'

Glenn Clabo
03-10-2006, 7:15 PM
Jeff,
I lost my first wife to breast cancer...and each year ~40,000 women and men lose their lifes. You should be proud...on two accounts.

Vaughn McMillan
03-10-2006, 7:20 PM
It looks very nice, I might want to copy the design! I have one question though: Which glue did you pick? Will it survive the dishwasher?
Thanks
Tom
I'll jump in for Jeff here...

Don't even THINK of putting a wooden cutting board in the dishwasher. :eek: (At least, not if you want the board to look decent and last for any length of time.) There are several glues that would withstand the dishwasher, but I've yet to see a wood product that would.

For a nice board like Jeff's, I'd recommend quick hand-washing with mild soap and hot water, followed immediately by drying with a towel.

Just sayin...:rolleyes:

- Vaughn

John Timberlake
03-10-2006, 8:10 PM
Nice to get confirmation that your work is good while doing good yourself. Great cutting board. Keep up the good work and keep posting your projects.

Tom Andersen
03-11-2006, 2:05 AM
I'll jump in for Jeff here...

Don't even THINK of putting a wooden cutting board in the dishwasher. :eek: (At least, not if you want the board to look decent and last for any length of time.) There are several glues that would withstand the dishwasher, but I've yet to see a wood product that would.

For a nice board like Jeff's, I'd recommend quick hand-washing with mild soap and hot water, followed immediately by drying with a towel.

Just sayin...:rolleyes:

- Vaughn

OK, I see your point when it comes to the dishwasher. But should one use any special glue for a cutting board? Seems to me that it will be wet pretty often?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-11-2006, 2:56 AM
Way to go Jeff!

We often way underestimate the value of our own work, as we can do it, but to someone else who has no skill in the area that we do, our work can be very valuable.

Great post!

Dan Forman
03-11-2006, 4:33 AM
What a great story, congrats and best wishes for your co-worker.

Dan

John Bailey
03-11-2006, 5:07 AM
Good deeds Jeff!! Feels good, don't it.

John

Vaughn McMillan
03-11-2006, 5:08 AM
OK, I see your point when it comes to the dishwasher. But should one use any special glue for a cutting board? Seems to me that it will be wet pretty often? Sorry if I came off like I was jumping on you. Definitely not the intent. :)

Titebond II works well for cutting boards. It easily withstands the moisture a cutting board sees, and it's FDA approved for food surfaces if I recall correctly. Titebond III is even more water resistant, but it has a shorter working time, so you have to glue everything up pretty fast. My current favorite is DAP Weldwood plastic resin glue, which is also very waterproof. It's got a longer working time than Titebond II, and it does not creep as I've seen Titebond cutting boards do. No major wood movement, but a couple thousandths of an inch shift can show up in a Titebond cutting board, but I've not seen that happen when I've used Weldwood. (I've made quite a few cutting boards.)

My sister has a cutting board I made for her about 30 years ago that was glued with plain old Elmer's Yellow Carpenter's Glue (roughly the same as Titebond I), and it's still holding up well after almost daily use.

Since I've hijacked Jeff's thread, I might as well answer your original question...he used Titebond II on this board. I found this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25326

and it looks like the Titebond II can even withstand a few trips through the dishwasher. :p (Check out post #8 in that thread. ;) )

And Jeff, the auctioned board is still my favorite out of the three you show in that post. Personally, I like the dark spots in the maple. :D

- Vaughn

Tom Andersen
03-11-2006, 2:04 PM
Thanks for the glue info, very helpful! I guess the right way to proceed for making end grain cutting boards is to glue a bunch of sticks together and make 10-20 cutting boards in one go.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-13-2006, 6:31 AM
Tom, you've got it right. They really are easy to make. Just glue up the number of sticks that you want the board wide and then plane them flat. Cut the peices and then re-glue, then plane it flat again.

Okay, so it was a little bit harder than that :)

Also, an update everyone, I have been commissioned to make another board to benefit this same person so I will be posting that soon.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-13-2006, 6:58 AM
Way to go Jeff! A fine price for charity and a great way to help out!!

I use Titebond 2 as well and it works fine.

Dave Tinley
03-13-2006, 9:18 AM
What a super deal !!!!!
And for a geat cause.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Dan Racette
03-13-2006, 9:42 AM
Way to go Jeff!