PDA

View Full Version : Waxing a newly painted piece

Lincoln Myers
08-07-2003, 3:57 PM
I am getting ready to use milk paint to finish a newly build trundle bed (not finished yet) and refinish an old dresser.

I would like to use wax (I think) as a top layer.

Having never done this before, I am looking for tips or suggestions for application.

I read to raise the grain before applying the paint and am planning on applying 2 coats.

Is it OK to use Johnson's Paste Wax as my top wax coat? How many coats? Do I just wipe it on, let it dry and wipe it off? What about steel wool, or 3M pads for rubbing it in/off?

Thanks a lot for any help.
-Linc

Howard Rosenberg
08-07-2003, 4:32 PM
you're looking for, you might want three coats if you want dense, even coverage.

Johnson's wax is fine but I've always preferred MinWax when it comes to my milk-painted projects. No reason, it just seeps out nicer. Your idea is right, let it sit but don't let it harden and steel wool is better than 3M pads - this combo will give you that nice, antique burnished look.

Before waxing, it's advisable to use tung oil (I use Lee Valley's house brand) AND THEN wax it.

If you have any more questions, by all means, feel free to e-mail me.

Howard

Lincoln Myers
08-11-2003, 6:46 PM
Thanks Howard. I am getting closer to where I will actually start this process. I appreciate your response and help.

Linc

Dave Anderson NH
08-12-2003, 9:38 AM
With milk paint I smoothe out the coats after applying them with a gray Scotchbrite pad. Milk paints tends to be a bit uneven and can leave little nubbins. After leveling the second coat, I let it cure for 24 hours and then give the work two coats of Danish Oil. Some folks use BLO, and I used to, but the Danish drys faster and seems to be less splotchy. After the oil cures, I apply either one or two coats of paste wax, any brand will do. Once or twice I have applied wax without applying any oil and this works out pretty well too, though it isn't quite as durable a finish. I wouldn't go without the oil for use with a chair or other high wear surface. Finally, if you don't smoothe out the final coat of paint, you will leave bits of lint embedded in the wax and/or oil. DAMHIKT This looks like....., trust me.