PDA

View Full Version : New Router Purchase

Mark Rios
03-10-2006, 3:07 PM
My old fixed base router bit the dust last week. I just now remembered that I should start looking for another one. The old one was a POJ Ryobi (I think). I have a dedicated router mounted in my router table and so I will use the new router only handheld. In Taunton's 2006 Tool Guide, they liked the Bosch 1617 dual base kit and the Porter Cable 895 Dual base kit as their top choices. The readers chose the Bosch kit for the top spot. My Costco has the Bosch kit for $170.

Can I get your opinions on these routers, please? Should I look at another router?

Thanks very much for your help and opinions.

Mike Goetzke
03-10-2006, 3:19 PM
I've had my Bosch 1617evspk for about 3 years and really like it. I recently upgraded it to an above the table fixed base. I use it hand held and in a router table - easy to remove the router from the base.

I believe Amazon has the 1617evspke for $219 less 10% but it includes the edge/circle guide, some bushings and dust hood.

Brian Parker
03-10-2006, 3:27 PM
I got that Bosch kit, only the one I got came with the template guides and the edge guide. I really like it alot, its light yet powerful. I like the dial where you can switch your speeds on the fly but the placement of the power swich can be a bit of a hastle when you are using the plunge base. If you are concerned abou the template guides or fi you have some already be warned that this proabibly won't take them. There is an adaptor (so I'm told) that will accept the porter cable templates in this router. Mine came with two collets which is nice for the few 1/4" bits that I do use every so often. I like the wrences but I don't like how short the smaller wrench that fits on the arbor is. I wish it was as long as the one for the collet. Thats minor, the all around feel and working of it are quite nice. I even like how the case has spaces for the wrenches, extra collet, template guides and manual. Also it fits the cord in there pretty easily unlike some cases that I've used where its a pain to put the cord in.

All in all I like the kit; it has made a nice addition to my setup. I use mine the same way you are talking about since I have my PC 7518 in my router table. If you get this you will be pleased.

Darl Bundren
03-10-2006, 3:28 PM
I've had the Bosch kit for three or four years, too, and like it a lot. I got the edge guide as a bonus, and if it is the same one that Amazon is offering, I'd go that route even though the other price is cheaper. The edge guide is nice. And, if the kit has RA1100 as an accessory, that's another reason. The RA1100 is a bushing adapter that snaps into the base so you can use Porter-Cable guide (and most other types, I'd reckon) bushings with the Bosch router. I think maybe our Lowe's here stocks both the Bosch and PC kits--you ought to go see them in person to check out ergonomics, switch placement, and so on, for I'd imagine that the PC kit is a good one, too. Good luck shopping.

Cecil Arnold
03-10-2006, 3:46 PM
I've got the Bosch and think it's almost as good as the model F, which I also have--don't ask.

Joe Chritz
03-10-2006, 3:49 PM
What they said. :D

Joe

Mark Singer
03-10-2006, 4:00 PM
The Bosch is my favorite overall.....It has a lochk release on the plunge which can be easily reached with a thumb and this is great for back and forth mortising. It also has the best stepped depth guide....much better than the "F" tool...The motor is smooth and has outlived the newer PC models that sem to have early bearing failures. The fixed base has nice wood handles almost like a hand tool with a motor....:rolleyes:

frank shic
03-10-2006, 4:18 PM
mark, not to dull your enthusiasm, but as much as i like my bosch 1617EVS, i've had to repair the on/off switch TWICE so far and i'm anticipating more future repairs as the service guy confessed, "yup, it's a known problem which is why we sent you the replacement switch without any questions." i got the replacement switch in two days. at least their service is good! the other annoyance is that the locking mechanism tends to shift the router up a little bit so that you can easily lose your setting unless you compensate for it in advance.

Mark Rios
03-10-2006, 4:47 PM
mark, not to dull your enthusiasm, but as much as i like my bosch 1617EVS, i've had to repair the on/off switch TWICE so far and i'm anticipating more future repairs as the service guy confessed, "yup, it's a known problem which is why we sent you the replacement switch without any questions." i got the replacement switch in two days. at least their service is good! the other annoyance is that the locking mechanism tends to shift the router up a little bit so that you can easily lose your setting unless you compensate for it in advance.

Hmmmm....interesting Frank. Anyone of the other posters here have these problems that Frank mentioned?

frank shic
03-10-2006, 5:04 PM
mark, if you google "bosch 1617evs router switch problem" you'll find at least three references: one on amazon.com, another on epinions.com and another one on the woodnet forum. i got at least three others when i posted this on woodcentral several months ago.

Brian Hale
03-10-2006, 5:10 PM
I have the Dewalt DW 618 K (kit with 3 bases) and the Makita 1101 kit with 2 bases. The Makita is real quiet for a router but the Dewalt is the one i reach for first. They both have plenty of power but the Dewalt just feels better in my hands. I also like the way it adjusts; the body doesn't turn like the Makita and PC routers do, rather it just slides up and down. A tad more accurate IMHO.

Brian :)

Mark Rios
03-10-2006, 5:52 PM
Thanks for the tip Frank. I went to look at the reviews and did see that there have been trouble with the switch. However, the trouble seemed to happen to the tools that were mounted under tables. I don't see this as a problem for me since I already have a dedicated router mounted under my table.

But I did notice one thing. Do routers not come with a light inside them anymore? I saw no mention of any kind of light mentioned in the product descriptions. This came to me when a reviewer wrote that he missed the light on his old router. I found this feature VERY, VERY helpful to me on my old router as well. Are the routers built with lights and just not mentioned or are they not made with them at all?

Please keep anymore opinions regarding these routers and/or others coming as well.

JayStPeter
03-10-2006, 6:01 PM
The Bosch is a real good router. I've had it for around 5 years or so. I had problems with it corroding and getting stuck in the bases, but I just got the router body replaced by Bosch (for free).
The edge guide is very nice. I also just got a set of 3 dust hoods for it. Overall the accessories aren't as slick as the "F" I have because they require tools to attach and detach. But, the Bosch is very stable and more comfortable to me.

Jay

M. A. Espinoza
03-10-2006, 6:50 PM
Thanks for the tip Frank. I went to look at the reviews and did see that there have been trouble with the switch. However, the trouble seemed to happen to the tools that were mounted under tables. I don't see this as a problem for me since I already have a dedicated router mounted under my table.

But I did notice one thing. Do routers not come with a light inside them anymore? I saw no mention of any kind of light mentioned in the product descriptions. This came to me when a reviewer wrote that he missed the light on his old router. I found this feature VERY, VERY helpful to me on my old router as well. Are the routers built with lights and just not mentioned or are they not made with them at all?

Please keep anymore opinions regarding these routers and/or others coming as well.

There is word that Ridgid is coming out with a new router kit and it does have a light. 2 1/4 HP I believe. I think it was an e-newsletter from Woodworker's Journal.

Have no experience with the Bosch but I can say that I've recently rid myself of the PC 890 series. Bearing issues, seemed a little tall (tippy) for handheld use compared to 690 series and the stock clear base doesn't take bushings and is a little flimsy.

If you want PC the 690 kit is probably the better tool.

I really like my DeWalt 621 plunger and I think their kit's plunge base is very similiar. Just don't know much about their current build quality, but my eight year old 621 has never been anything but a good comfortable tool.

Burt Waddell
03-10-2006, 7:11 PM
Mark,

I have 10 of the 1617 seriese routers. I have no complaints. They do their job and do it well.

Burt

frank shic
03-10-2006, 7:20 PM
mark, you're absolutely right! my 1617 is mounted at the other end of my outfeed table across from its beefier brother (bosch 1619) and many others suspect that the switch problem is probably related to dust falling into the router housing.

a light?!? that's a GREAT idea! if only i could scotch tape a small pen light at the right angle... :p

Dennis McDonaugh
03-10-2006, 7:38 PM
I have three, the switch went out on one after 5 years. It cost me $28 to have it fixed at a Bosch authorized repair center. They are great routers and I wish I had 7 more too!:D

Jeff Eiber
03-10-2006, 9:31 PM
About a month ago I purchased a little Bosch Colt router for light trimming and pattern work. Now it's my first choice for any 1/4" bits because it's light, maneuverable and very easy to hold. (Other routers are PC 690 and PC 6931). It seems that it's easier to watch the cutting results when held in one hand whereas routers which require two hands are usually held directly in front of you making it harder to see the immediate cutting results.

tod evans
03-12-2006, 12:03 PM
mark, my favorite handheld router is the 691 p/c .02 tod

Bob Noles
03-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Mark,

I hate to add to your confusion on a difficult decision as I went thru it myself a while back. I ended up with the Dewalt 618 with all three bases. I like it so well that I bought a 2nd exactly like it. One for table use and the other for hand use. I could not be happier.

You may want to google Pat Warner's web site for further advise. He is one of the formost router experts around IMHO and calls things as he sees them.

Jim Becker
03-12-2006, 3:52 PM
I also chose the DW618 kit (and have all three bases) when I moved to a mid-range VS router system. It felt the best in my hands, no matter which base over the other major choices then currently available. If you have the ability to touch them, do so...tools are very personal things and how they fit your hand is quite important.

Larry Crim
03-13-2006, 9:31 AM
Mark in my case it would depend on what you intended to use it for, I had the PC but wanted it to use in a FMT mortiser, The PC was a awesome router but as with most plunge bases it was just not that acurate there was some play in the plunge and if you ever used it to do mortises it would make less than perfect unless you were very careful. This is the case with most plunge bases. The only exception I found with the limited routers I had available to view was the DW 618 and surprisingly the M12v both had remarkable plunge ability with little to no play while plunging, Either of the 2 you list will be awesome in your shop but if you are looking for a above average plunge and the festool is out of the ? then I suggest the DW.
Larry