PDA

View Full Version : Day 2

Lee DeRaud
03-10-2006, 2:02 PM
Or maybe day 1.5...mostly a continuation of yesterday's work. Got the door on the cabinet trimmed and adjusted, and got the lathe bolted down...ended up moving it back about 2-3 inches, just looked more balanced that way. Andy had expressed some concern over the stability of the whole thing, so I figured I'd give it a "smoke test" before any more work went into it, plus I was already hearing whining from the peanut gallery: "Make some chips! Make some chips!". Sheesh.

Step 1 was finding a level spot on the garage floor (not as easy as it sounds)...locked the casters and gave the headstock a good shake with both hands: dead solid.

Found a chunk of redwood 4x4 from the last time I replaced the mailbox post, made a half-hearted attempt to find the center, stuffed it in, and lit it up on the lowest speed. Nice and smooth. Grabbed the roughing gouge.

Now remember, at this point the grinder is still in the box: these are Harbor Freight's finest (or at least cheapest) straight out of the factory. Took awhile, but I got it round...I think I've got a couple of screwdrivers that are sharper than that gouge.
Everybody happy now? Time for a break.:cool:

I knew it was a slippery slope, but nobody told me it was uphill both ways.

Mark Cothren
03-10-2006, 2:06 PM
Looks like you're cookin' with gas, Lee!

Keith Burns
03-10-2006, 2:14 PM
Great start on your Bonker, Lee. Now lets see a bowl:D

John Hart
03-10-2006, 2:20 PM
You know...you could make that into a Hollowform Lee. Better use the screwdrivers though...that gouge will catch somethin' awful.;)

Congratulations!!

Lee DeRaud
03-10-2006, 2:24 PM
Now lets see a bowl:DSure, no problem:
Oh, you meant...never mind.:p You guys need to be more specific...

Keith Burns
03-10-2006, 2:28 PM
Man thats way too cool. Is it bleached maple ? How did you do the handle? :D

Gordon Achterhof
03-10-2006, 2:42 PM
Man, a winged bowl on the second day? What is next for day three??
Have fun.

Cheers
Gordon

John Miliunas
03-10-2006, 2:59 PM
You're doing OK, Lee! Just wait until you put some edges on those tools!!! :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2006, 3:06 PM
Lee you are doing fine. Just get the sharpening station setup and you will be amazed at the difference. Take your time and enjoy.

Andy Hoyt
03-10-2006, 3:11 PM
Those "shavings" look more like dust.

Get that grinder rigged and running.

Glad to hear that the cabinet thing will hold up.

Cecil Arnold
03-10-2006, 3:54 PM
Lookin' good Lee, us retired folks need our naps. Wait until you get sharp tools and green wood, that's addictive.

Corey Hallagan
03-10-2006, 8:17 PM
Looking good there Mr. DeRaud! Just remember, light touch on the grinder, DAMHIKT!!

corey

Dick Parr
03-10-2006, 8:37 PM
Way to go Lee, you are on your way down the dark side..:eek: ;)